Ammo Boxes

I would like somefeedback from those of you who use ammo boxes as cache boxes. I found an ammo box last week and it had water in it and the log book was damp. then today I got a log from my cache A winters tale, saying that the log book was damp. could it be that water has entered both of these ammo boxes while it was raining during a log ? or are they not as watertight as we think?has anyone ever left a one under water for a couple of hours to see the results?

Nige

As P&T said, water gets in if anything is trapped by the lid when it's closed, breaching the seal. It can be the corner of a plastic bag or something else in the container, or some long grass or other vegetation trapped there as the box is closed. That then acts as a wick and draws water in.

Also, as t-d-w said, the condition of the seal is a factor. It can get damaged and the box will no longer be watertight.

And of course if the box is opened on a wet day, and the finders aren't careful, water can get in then, either directly or by way of the contents getting wet whilst they're being examined, and as the box is watertight any water that does get in will stay in.

The lids have to be shut properly and be in good order. We did a cache yesterday which had two hinge pins missing so the lid was only being held on by one pin - and it was an end pin, not the middle. There is a little doubt that this box could let in moisture although it seemed pretty sound.

I've only ever found water in one ammo can... The First In Wales... a few weeks ago. The can was in perfect condition but there was still some water inside (which I removed). When I wrote up the log later I mentioned the water and noticed that the previous finder had stated that it was raining when he found it. Anyone who knows this cache location will vouch that it's a bit.... well 'bleak' is probably a bit of an understatement.... and it doesn't just rain up there, it RAINS. Subsequent finders have not mentioned any water so it's a fair bet that's where it came from.

third-degree- witch it beats me why you would leave ammo boxes under water for a few week)))). I can vouch for the rain in Wales though, I moved here over five years ago before I married my sweetheart Lynne, and the rain, or how heavy it fell, was a bit of a shock. I thought I had moved to the tropics, without the heat. Where I used to live in Kent, a heavy fall was an inch, here none bat an eyelid at three inches in a few hours.....

One of my ammo boxes was found to be a bit wet on a maintenance visit, but the previous cacher noted that he had done the cache in the pouring rain. I dried it all out and it has given me no problems ever since. I expect that explains it then.

When I go caching in the rain I do my very best to only take the lid off the box for the least possible time (even at the expense if rummaging in the goodies) and do try to keep the cache contents dry. A watertight seal with be watertight at keeping the water IN as well as OUT!

as a newbie and only 6 caches under my belt i have seen a few damp caches.

so i have started to carrying a few bags of silica gel with me, the little bags that we generally through away when we get an item delivered to our homes.they sure do keep dampness out of things :rolleyes: but gallons of water i guess not :unsure:

anyone else done this?

B.

I happen to know a cacher who left an ammo box submerged for, I think, several weeks as a test and I believe it passed.

Another possible reason for dampness (although probably not puddles of water) is if the box is opened on a particularly hot and humid day, when the box is closed this warm humid air will be trapped and a subsequent drop in temperature (inevitable in the UK :unsure: will cause moisture to condense out.

I think the silica gel is a good idea. Most packets of same are clearly marked 'do not eat' although interfering with Darwins theories in this way probably does nothing for us at all . :rolleyes::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Martin

Many thanks to you all for the replies. seals and opening the box to logg when it's raining, does anyone know of a way of repairing the seals? has anyone ever tried a repair. I was thinking something on the lines of that rubberised gasket repair stuff that comes in tubes. I know that it worked well on a very large water pump I have for pumping water out of the stream to irrigate some land during dry summers( never used for a few years as you all know) not up here anyway

Nige