Automotive Mount

I just bought a 60CS & I am interested in buying a car mount & a cigarette lighter adapter...The mount I am interested in is the 010-10456-00 Automotive mounting bracket ...but I have no idea how it mounts in the vehicle suction? or not? I have tried to find info on this but I have had no success ...anyone out there with this info would be greatly appreciated

I have the the garmin mount your looking at mounted on a bean bag. I use mine everyday at work since I'm a truck driver. If you only use it from time to time I'd say go with the Garmin mount. If your gonna use it every day and have it bounce around like I do go with a RAM mount. You cant beat the RAM mount IMHO.

I don't have a mount, but I work with a guy who has both the Garmin windshield mount for his Garmin Quest and the Ram Mount for his Vista.

He swears by the Ram mount and swears at the Garmin mount.

The Ram mount is solid as a rock, according to him. The Garmin mount forces him to remove the mount to get the unit off the mount due to his windshield angle.

He is the only person I have heard complain about that, so it might be his vehicle/mount combo.

I have the RAM mount for my 60C. The short arm and suction cup work great in my Jeep Wrangler and my S2000. It is rock solid, attaches easily, stays put, and the 60C snaps in and out very easily. I can also attach the power cable while the unit is in the mount, which is important on long trips.

BTW, I live in Texas, where you can suction mount your shotgun to the window if you want to, so I'm guessing my GPSr is fine.

Edit: Link.

Edited by Sputnik 57
The suction cup mounts that adhere to the windshield are not legal in California, and possibly in other states.

I like the suction cup mount. I live in California too, and have yet to be busted for it.

:laughing:

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Ditto!

Think CA law enforcement has more important things to do, than bust somebody for suction cup mount.

Don't have mount yet... But looking very hard and am convinced RAM mounts are most versatile and solid way to go.

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn
Don't have mount yet... But looking very hard and am convinced RAM mounts are most versatile and solid way to go.

My Garmin mount is VERY flexible, which was the reason for my purchase of this over a bean bag mount. It is especally good for cars with low angled windshields. BTW, I saw some recent reports on another (?) board citing poor performance in hot climates.

I LOVE my mountain bike's RAM mount, but they can be bulky. I'm not sure how bulky the car mount is though.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Thank you everyone but I still havent had my ? on how the garmin 010-10456-00 Automotive mounting bracket mounts in car ...is it srewed in?

That mount is afixed by the adhesive disks. You get a temporary or movable one and a permanent one.

I had that style of mount for my Garmin GPS V and I used the temopary adhesive to secure it to the dashboard. I recently purchased the exact same mount you are looking at for my 60CS and found that I needed to use the permanent adhesive, as the temporary wasn't strong enough to support the weight of the 60cs.

We do enjoy this mount as it is easy to rotate and adjust it to reduce glare or to switch between facing the driver or front passenger of the vehicle.

If you want, I can e-mail some photos of it in action.

I really don't want to drill holes in my dashboard! I'm also leary of anything that says it is a permanant adhesive disk. I have no desire to make permanant modifications to my truck or car.

I need some sort of mount that won't need to mess up/modify/destroy my vehicle. Can anybody tell me WHY the suction type would be illegal in California? It seems that it might be a very good mount and one that doesn't have any permanant effect on the vehicle.

As I stated above, I have the Garmin beanbag mount. Here is a really small picture from an ad for the package deal.

B000196C3E.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't know why the windshield mount is illegal in CA, but I saw that notice on a merchant's web page when I was looking for the best price on the automotive mount and City Select maps.

I bought the RAM suction cup mount for my 76c. I've used it in my Dodge Ram, the wife's Toyota Tacoma, and my '57 Jeep with bikini top. Worked just fine in all 3 vehicles, and easily adjusted from one to another. The RAM mount is $50 or so, but I think it is well worth it.

That being said....I did have to modify the cradle slightly with a Dremel tool to make it a bit easier to get in and out, and to make room for the antenna cord. Nothing major, but it does help a lot....Still think it's worth it.

thrak

NOTICE TO STATE OF CALIFORNIA DRIVERS: California Vehicle Code Section 26708 (a) provides that drivers in California should not use the suction mount on their windshield or side or rear windows. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options are recommended.

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

The suction cup mounts that adhere to the windshield are not legal in California, and possibly in other states.

I like the suction cup mount. I live in California too, and have yet to be busted for it.

:D

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

Ditto!

Think CA law enforcement has more important things to do, than bust somebody for suction cup mount.

Dale

Don't Know how Y'all live in that crazy state. :D

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Does this mean the radar guns and dash cams that the cops drive around with are illegally positioned/affixed?

Edited by bubbafish
I really don't want to drill holes in my dashboard! I'm also leary of anything that says it is a permanant adhesive disk. I have no desire to make permanant modifications to my truck or car.

The "permanent adhesive disk" is permanent, but *isn't* permanent.

Mine is starting to "slide" a little in the heat. If you want to take it off, you can - just do it in summer when it's easier to take the mount off.

The remaining "sticky residue/leftovers" you should be able to get off with WD-40.

(WD-40 works great for getting old bumper stickers and other sticky goo off your paint, too. Just rinse well afterwards)

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

Sounds to me like rear view mirrors are illegal in CA. :D

It also sounds like ANY item that blocks the view out the windshield is fair game for a ticket. Bean bag mounts on the dash included.

Funny, I put my suction mount right under my rear view mirror just so I can KEEP my eyes on the road, not look away at it.

No wonder you Kalifornians are moving in droves to Arizona.....

Dale

But if you are involved in an accident, and say, "Sorry officers, I didn't see him coming because my GPSr obstructed my view." it sure makes it easy for the LEO to write a ticket and assign blame (and rightfully so)

I really don't want to drill holes in my dashboard!  I'm also leary of anything that says it is a permanant adhesive disk. I have no desire to make permanant modifications to my truck or car.

The "permanent adhesive disk" is permanent, but *isn't* permanent.

Mine is starting to "slide" a little in the heat. If you want to take it off, you can - just do it in summer when it's easier to take the mount off.

The remaining "sticky residue/leftovers" you should be able to get off with WD-40.

(WD-40 works great for getting old bumper stickers and other sticky goo off your paint, too. Just rinse well afterwards)

Just how hot is it there that the disk is sliding loose? I live in northern CA and it gets pretty darn hot here. Normal summer weather will give us a long streak of 100º+ weather. (I think its around 102º today). With weather in that temp range it can get extremely hot inside a parked vehicle.

I noticed that one poster had to slightly modify his RAM suction cup mount to allow the external antenna cord to fit. Is that an issue with the beanbag type mount or does it allow the cord to easily fit? I want a mount that will let me use an external antenna and also the external power cable.

So many questions - so much to learn.

I really don't want to drill holes in my dashboard!  I'm also leary of anything that says it is a permanant adhesive disk. I have no desire to make permanant modifications to my truck or car.

Just how hot is it there that the disk is sliding loose? I live in northern CA and it gets pretty darn hot here. Normal summer weather will give us a long streak of 100º+ weather. (I think its around 102º today). With weather in that temp range it can get extremely hot inside a parked vehicle.

A few weeks ago we had a solid week of 95-99 degrees here in metro Atlanta, GA. During that time, the adhesive disk didn't so much as slip as become.. what's the word to use here.. oozy? no, not that liquid.. less solid? Somewhat gooey? Hard to describe.

Net result is the mount was able to..twist slightly.. in place. I noticed it after taking/replacing the GPSr into its mount. I was able to twist it back, since it had only shifted/spun about an eigth of an inch. It was nowhere close to coming off or coming loose. I probably could have pushed hte issue and twisted the mount right off, but I didn't want to do that. :laughing:

Outside of a "gap" now on one side between the dash and the bottom of the mount/adhesive of about a sixteenth of an inch it's fine now. Still rock solid and stable.

Edited by Cymbaline

I need some sort of mount that won't need to mess up/modify/destroy my vehicle. Can anybody tell me WHY the suction type would be illegal in California? It seems that it might be a very good mount and one that doesn't have any permanant effect on the vehicle.

Who knows WHY it might be illegal in California.....there are so many trivial, mindless laws and regs on the books it's impossible to keep up with them. I move a windshield mounted suction cup holder for a radar detector into every vehicle I drive, have done this for 4 years, never had a problem even when I've been stopped by the cops so worries about "illegal" in California seem moot.

I use the Garmin windshield mount with a 60cs GPSR. The only part of my view that is blocked is the front third of the hood. Can't see what the problem could be. Better to be looking out of the car than down at the console or lower dashboard. Sort of like a heads up display in an aircraft.

Edited by airman