City Wide Muggle.

Just a note, not sure what anybody can do about these things....

Alliance Nebraska has a local celebration called Heritage days. During this year's celebration, a golden spike was hidden in town and the finder was to get $250 when he/she brought it into the city hall. Thankfully it is a small town and there are (were) just a handful of caches in town but all seem muggled now. In the haste to scour town for the spike - all bushes, bridges, statues, staircases and train memorialbila was crawled over for at least 2 weeks. Nobody ever found the spike but ALL the caches are missing. All of them. Including 1 with a WJTB. All were well hidden and out for some time.

Guess we will have to start over.

Alliance Nebraska has a local celebration called Heritage days. During this year's celebration, a golden spike was hidden in town and the finder was to get $250 when he/she brought it into the city hall. Thankfully it is a small town and there are (were) just a handful of caches in town but all seem muggled now. In the haste to scour town for the spike - all bushes, bridges, statues, staircases and train memorialbila was crawled over for at least 2 weeks. Nobody ever found the spike but ALL the caches are missing. All of them. Including 1 with a WJTB. All were well hidden and out for some time.

I just happened to be passing through Alliance geocaching one day last week. While trying to find one cache I happened on to a gal that had found the cache while looking for the spike. Before I got the log signed and the cache rehid another gal came looking for the spike again. I tried to rehide the cache well but I have worried about it since that time. Of course neither one of the gals had ever heard of geocaching they were after the prize money and were leaving no stones unturned.

Edited by Contryguy

I may have a warped sense of humor, but this is the funniest geocaching story I have ever read!

Sorry it happened, but oh my how funny!

I can just see city leaders trying to explain to some excited citizen that "No, that black plastic film can is not a golden spike!"

Edited by NatureFish

I assume that the Golden Spike contest was well publicized. The local cache owners took an unfortunate chance by not pulling their caches until the contest was over. I guess they understimated the danger.

In my area, when certain large annual events take place, certain caches get temporarily disabled and removed for safety.

And the spike was never found?

I don't suppose that you have an Alliance, NE. cache waypoint for us does ya? :D Never mind, got it. Some of those Alliance NE. cachers have been pretty quick at getting their caches back into service...........good job dudes!! :D Carhenge....beautiful. :(

Edited by Team Cotati

A radio station in Las Vegas used to do a promo every year in December where they hid a large rock with their logo painted on the bottom. Every day they would give out another clue to get you closer and closer. Whoever found the rock got $10,000, so everyone was out tearing up all sorts of stuff.

This was pre-geocaching, but I can just imagine the cache disappearance rate if they did that now :(

A radio station in Las Vegas used to do a promo every year in December where they hid a large rock with their logo painted on the bottom. Every day they would give out another clue to get you closer and closer. Whoever found the rock got $10,000, so everyone was out tearing up all sorts of stuff.

This was pre-geocaching, but I can just imagine the cache disappearance rate if they did that now :(

Most of the caches in the downtown area are virtuals or urban micros, which would not be vulnerable. Plenty of traditional caches farther out, though.

I don't suppose that you have an Alliance, NE. cache waypoint for us does ya?  :( Never mind, got it. Some of those Alliance NE. cachers have been pretty quick at getting their caches back into service...........good job dudes!!  :D Carhenge....beautiful.  :D

This is the one I found. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1b-ca83f42e5424

Here is another cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3c-7d0b0399cde3

:( I like the idea of contacting the newpaper. Some who took the caches might read it and return them. Go figure that the spike was not found !!!!!

I don't suppose that you have an Alliance, NE. cache waypoint for us does ya?  :D Never mind, got it. Some of those Alliance NE. cachers have been pretty quick at getting their caches back into service...........good job dudes!!  :D Carhenge....beautiful.  :(

This is the one I found. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1b-ca83f42e5424

Here is another cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3c-7d0b0399cde3

Dude, "nevermind, I got it" has a certain connotation associated with it. Crimminie! :D Carhenge...beautiful. :D Thanks anyway. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

:D I like the idea of contacting the newpaper. Some who took the caches might read it and return them. Go figure that the spike was not found !!!!!

Yeah, the same ones who didn't read the little info paper inside the cache container...right. :(

A radio station in Las Vegas used to do a promo every year in December where they hid a large rock with their logo painted on the bottom.  Every day they would give out another clue to get you closer and closer.  Whoever found the rock got $10,000, so everyone was out tearing up all sorts of stuff.

This was pre-geocaching, but I can just imagine the cache disappearance rate if they did that now  :D

Most of the caches in the downtown area are virtuals or urban micros, which would not be vulnerable. Plenty of traditional caches farther out, though.

Yeah, but the type of place that the radio station would hide the rock are just about the same type of place we'd hide a cache. Since its hard to find a good spot to hide a cache downtown or on the strip, imagine trying to hide a small boulder worth $10,000 there :(

In fact, come to think of it, whoever ran that promo would make an excellent cacher, I can just imagine the puzzle caches they'd create.

What is a "large blind spot for geocaching"? :D

:D The ability to ignore things because you are not interested in them has historically been recognized as a "blind spot."

Setting up a cache hunt without considering that geocaching is the same thing as the activity you are proposing and that there may be a negative effect on a process that is already in place would constitute a blind spot insofar as geocaching is concerned. :D

Would you like me to explain what taking credit for something means? :(

Lesson learned - we will remove caches during July Next year. I live 32 miles away and had no idea the spike hunt was coming. It probably wouldn't have made me scared for the caches even if I had.

Contacted the newspaper and they will run an article in tomorrow's paper. We will see......

What is a "large blind spot for geocaching"? :D

:D The ability to ignore things because you are not interested in them has historically been recognized as a "blind spot."

Setting up a cache hunt without considering that geocaching is the same thing as the activity you are proposing and that there may be a negative effect on a process that is already in place would constitute a blind spot insofar as geocaching is concerned. :D

Would you like me to explain what taking credit for something means? :D

Please do. :D

Lesson learned - we will remove caches during July Next year. I live 32 miles away and had no idea the spike hunt was coming. It probably wouldn't have made me scared for the caches even if I had.

Contacted the newspaper and they will run an article in tomorrow's paper. We will see......

Post a link to the story if they have one!