Jeep Tb Etiquette Question

vulture19

Yes, travel bugs are meant to travel! Just a reminder than each username/household can only enter the contest once. So virtual drops in/out of the same cache does not increase your chances of winning, it only sends e-mail notifications to nearby cachers that a white jeep TB is in a geocache nearby. So put some miles on that baby and send it off! There are only 18 weeks left in the contest, and the first part is nearly over! So let it go and put a smile on the face of another geocacher!

exactly, I too noticed that there were no notices, how does this level the field, I personally think it hinders those of us who are trying to squeeze in some fun in between family and work ( I have them in order of importance), the emails made it possible for me to log one last summer, before they were all lost :rolleyes: , but this year I might not get my hands on any, R

Marketing at its finest! Everyone, including me, wants to log a white jeep. The sad part is that many cachers will grab them and keep them. I guess one can rationalize keeping a TB that belongs to a big company, when they wouldn't keep a TB owned by just another cacher. I know there is a contest, but I feel it is wrong to steal these TBs.

Since there are only so many to go around and they were dispersed in a way to attempt to make it reasonable for most cachers to have a chance at getting them, i try to keep the WJTB's in the general area at least during the contest portion. While it is a TB in the most general of ways, it is still somewhat special, at least for a few more weeks. We started out with 36 in our area. So far we have several that were grabbed by cachers and have been held for 2 weeks now. Some of these cachers are the same that held the Yellow ones for over 8 months. We had another just picked up and is headed for a state far away. This just makes it harder for your fellow cachers to log something they enjoy just as much as you did. Most around here try to maintain them in the area but also in the harder, less visited caches. Once the contest is over, then i say send them on their way and continue to watch them like they were yours, just don't keep them. But for now, share them with your neighborhood caches and cachers.

Since Groundspeak and volunteers took the time and effort to distribute the WJTB's to a local geographical area, it seems keeping them near the same regions is practicing good etiquette, at least for the duration of the contest. (That echoes pghlooking's sentiments)

Otherwise, increasing the WJTB's chances for random travel is considered good etiquette. Passing them along friends is probably not a good idea regardless of good intentions, since it's unlikely you'll let someone you dislike log a find and that's not so random.

I've said this earlier on another thread, but I did not use e-mail notifications at all for finding all of the YJTBs last year, and in fact, didn't use Pocket Query for most of them. Thanks to some good people placing them in caches, I ran across one or two purely by luck - yes, good etiquette does yield results. :D

If you really want to grab one, then there are tools available to increase your chances. Unlike last year, the WJTBs are significantly bigger, so (AHEM, HINT) searching by container size can (COUGH HINT) increase your chances. :D

Edited by budd-rdc

SO, it appears that there is an even split. Just for clarification (and not accusing anyone of accusing me (it's amazing how gingerly you have to tread in forums...)), I have no intention of specifically going for a WJTB. My job requires a fair amount of travel. When I travel, one of the nights during the course of the week I try to bag a cache or two. I prefer the higher rated terrains, which are also the ones that generally contain the jeeps. Of cpurse, if I have to choose between one that has a WJTB and one that doesn't, I'll go for the WJTB.

Since I will only go out one night, my next opportunity to cache would be in my area on the weekend. I'm not interested in getting it to anyone in particular (I know almost no other GC'ers, and generally cache alone).

I don't like keeping TB's for more than a week, so.......

You can add WJTB's, individually, to your watchlist. Then you will get email notices when they move. You have to scroll through listings of caches to see where they are first, though, then click on the name of the cache, then the name of the Jeep, then click on "watch this travel bug".

I found one yesterday and felt guilty for keeping it too long, so I snuck out of work for a few minutes to drop it in an easy cache near my job!