Magnetic Pole Leaves Canada

http://geology.about.com/b/a/176740.htm

The north magnetic pole has wandered out of Canada's territory for the first time since about 1600. The pole meanders in a nearly random path at about 10 or 20 kilometers per year, and lately it has been going northward into the Arctic Ocean. The latest measurements have it out in the ocean heading for Siberia. Canadians are getting used to the new state of affairs.

You're GPSr only compensates for the movement of the pole as accurately as your last firmware update.

The parameters in the navigation message broadcast by the satellites compensate for polar wander. Polar wander estimates are updated in the GPS Master Control Station once a week. This is completely independent of receiver firmware, by design.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

You're GPSr only compensates for the movement of the pole as accurately as your last firmware update.

The parameters in the navigation message broadcast by the satellites compensate for polar wander. Polar wander estimates are updated in the GPS Master Control Station once a week. This is completely independent of receiver firmware, by design.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

Why should the peregrinations of the magnetic poles have any effect on GPS navigation? Surely the ephemerides of the GPS birds do not depend on the position of the poles--yes?

Why should the peregrinations of the magnetic poles have any effect on GPS navigation? Surely the ephemerides of the GPS birds do not depend on the position of the poles--yes?

The range measurements used to generate orbit models of the sattelites are taken in Earth-centered-Earth-fixed coordinates. When the navigation message is constructed, a coordinate transformation to a Keplerian element set is performed. In order to be able to accurately transform the Keplerian elements back into a form usable by your GPSr, the elements must be adjusted for polar wander. This gets done in the navigation message so that the user doesn't need to bother with it.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

Why should the peregrinations of the magnetic poles have any effect on GPS navigation?  Surely the ephemerides of the GPS birds do not depend on the position of the poles--yes?

The range measurements used to generate orbit models of the sattelites are taken in Earth-centered-Earth-fixed coordinates. When the navigation message is constructed, a coordinate transformation to a Keplerian element set is performed. In order to be able to accurately transform the Keplerian elements back into a form usable by your GPSr, the elements must be adjusted for polar wander. This gets done in the navigation message so that the user doesn't need to bother with it.

Peace,

TeamRJJO

Lots of purdy words there. You must have went to skool or sumthing. :P

In a previous posting in the GSP units and software area (link) I asked about whether magnetic declination information was broadcast in the GPS signal and was told that those tables are located in the firmware.

Now, I wouldn't hink an 85km wobble would make much of a difference but is it taken into account when I ask my GPS to give me a magnetic bearing?

... In order to be able to accurately transform the Keplerian elements back into a form usable by your GPSr, the elements must be adjusted for polar wander. This gets done in the navigation message so that the user doesn't need to bother with it...

Why must the elements be adjusted for polar wander? The resulting Lat/Lon have nothing to do with the location of the magnetic poles. The only time that the magnetic pole has any relevance (as far as I can see) is when magnetic declination is applied to get a bearing, and that is optional, and performed by the GPSr.

Why must the elements be adjusted for polar wander? The resulting Lat/Lon have nothing to do with the location of the magnetic poles. The only time that the magnetic pole has any relevance (as far as I can see) is when magnetic declination is applied to get a bearing, and that is optional, and performed by the GPSr.

Here's a link that explains it much better than I can:

http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/~wu/TUDelft/Rot...r%20wander'

Peace,

TeamRJJO

Why must the elements be adjusted for polar wander?  The resulting Lat/Lon have nothing to do with the location of the magnetic poles.  The only time that the magnetic pole has any relevance (as far as I can see) is when magnetic declination is applied to get a bearing, and that is optional, and performed by the GPSr.

Here's a link that explains it much better than I can:

http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/~wu/TUDelft/Rot...r%20wander'

Peace,

TeamRJJO

The presentation that you link to concerns variations in the rotation of the Earth, length-of-day, and movement of the geographic poles, not the magnetic poles.

It certainly makes sense that nutation and movement of the Earth's rotational axis would have to be taken into account by the GPS system, but I doubt if the location of the magnetic axis is a consideration.

I can see where a wobbling earth would present some problems for the GPS system, but isn't that one of the reasons there is WAAS? To reconcile the ACTUAL locations on the surface with the locations being generated by GPS receivers using the satellite signals?

Not being an astro-physicist myself, and only scoring a 38 on the geek scale, I can't grasp what magnetic poles have to do with GPS.

NerdTest

Edited by bunkerdave