Garmin 60c, 60cs, 76c, 76cs

vr12

Version 5 = 2003 (Had the Feature)

76CS = 2004

Quest = 2004

Here read the Quote

Changes made from version 4.13 to 5.0:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

" Added category and subcategory feature searching parameters. This allows for users to search for specific categories"

WRONG !

It also mean the Quest Development Team got it right.

60/76CS got it WRONG.

Get it............WRONG

What did you do call them and asked - More BS being doled around !!!

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

"Changes made from version 5.4 to 6.1:

Added support for waypoint categories."

1. What you wrote have nothing to do with your original claim.

2. My 60CS have had "category" in search from the begining.

3. Quest is more recent unit then 60C/CS 76C/CS

Edited by vr12

Hey you guys bought the 60CS and 76CS and just found out now that you don't have an important feature.

Buy hey..............you thought you had it. You all thought that you had it - look at the threads.

I'd be pissed too.

But I knew better. Garmin will Disco these/ your products and you can dump em at the Troll Sale. When the better unit comes out soon

Anybody looking at a 60 CS or 76CS should wait - Beacuse of what happened to you guys.

All your PC files sitting in your root directory? Figures.

Uninformed then - Informed now.

Hey change all your PC files to different colors - there's only 10,000,000 colors in the spectrum - Real easy to find then.

How about giving your 1000 different Waypoints different Symbols. Oh Boy - Smart Solution.

Garmin saw you guys coming.......from far far away.

You paid too much........................for what you got!

Ouch

This is a cute thread! It's been a long time since I've enjoyed reading any thread so much as this one! :o

Honest Pleasure - You are so full of something, but I just can't say what here in this forum! Whatever it is, you need to get it out of your system, and then shovel it elsewhere!

If a unit is missing a feature, then don't buy it and move on.

For someone who's been a member of this forum since April, owns two caches and hasn't found any yet, I find it VERY DIFFICULT to take you very seriously.

You've got serious issues, and we can do nothing for you here! I suggest you try a few of the following links instead:

Dr. Phil

Prozac

PMS Relief

Nicoderm CQ

GOD

Suicide Prevention Advocacy Network

I'm sure that if you search hard enough, you'll find the underlying cause of your misery and find help for your symptoms! :o

Edited by Neo_Geo
Hey you guys bought the 60CS and 76CS and just found out now that you don't have an important feature.

Must not be very important if I never needed it. Its like telling me that I should be disappointed with the new car I bought because it doesn't have a propeller.

Um, whatever...

I request that this thread be locked by the moderators and user "Honest Pleasure" be warned/reprimanded for trolling and generally trying to cause trouble on this site. People come here to find out more about how to use their GPS units, not be told they are stupid for buying a unit that doesn't have certain features they weren't aware they needed and haven't missed.

I actually don't cache (I tried it some and did not enjoy it), but the information gleaned from people who are able to get the most out of their units is very valuable.

Edited by CenTexDodger
Rubberhead

I don't like when people lie and then someone buys a product based on bad information.

The Garmin Tech people said that feature was there - then they said "Ooops" they would put it in.

It's important for people to know it is still not there.

get over it......

Yes .... The units do not handle categories .... however MapSource does! After putting my waypoints into CATEGORIES, I choose them by category and then assign specific symbols to each category. So .... If I have 20 waypoints in category 1 (my first day of geocaching on vacation) I just assign them a numeral "1" symbol and then find them using the find by symbol filter.

Repeat after me .... There is no perfect GPS, there is no perfect GPS ....

Honest Pleasure .... You are correct in pointing out that this feature is not in the units .... but I feel Garmin makes some great products which most of us only use a small bit of there overall potential. Using my symbol workaround you should be able to sort out all your fishing spots and hopefully enjoy your unit. I can even envision you creating your own custom fishing symbols to use on your GPS. Have fun!

:o ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

It’s been a good post – New Buyers of the 60CS and 76CS will at least think twice before they jump in and buy a unit for this kind of money – lacking simple, square 1 data management function.

Some replies to the Guys and Gals.

---------------------

briansnat

---------------------

“ Must not be very important if I never needed it. Its like telling me that I should be disappointed with the new car I bought because it doesn't have a propeller.”

It’s more like “The new car that you bought and had delivered was missing the windshield – And you didn’t figure that out until you started driving it” or “It’s like that great 60CS you bought had that great feature until someone told you it was missing”

My GPS Units don’t have propellers – but I knew that before the return policy ran out.

---------------------

CenTexDodger

---------------------

Request whatever you want – It’s not going to happen. My job is to make new buyers aware – your job is to dodge the facts and emphasize hat you made a smart decision.

Have you checked out the Quest Manual – Bet you have – Waypoint Categories – Pretty Cool Feature!

You paid too much for what you got.

---------------------

WH

---------------------

“Whatever the "supposed" deficiency is, the Garmin 60CS is a first class unit and I would reccomend it to anyone.”

Is that “rreccomend” or “recommend “? Though so – I don’t think anyone would recommend these units – A GPS Data Repository Unit – that won’t let you manage the data.

Thumbs Down to you for fooling people!

---------------------

ImpalaBob

---------------------

You’re too nice – I agree to take you advice and have fun.

But think about this “In your 60CS Garmin gave you a “Geocache Icon” Actually it’s a small separate Category on it’s own. They didn’t give full categories so that they could call it a “Geocache Class” Unit.

The Quest is not listed as a “Geocaching Unit” – But it actually functions better in a geocache mode because I can have 15 Geocache Categories – with 100’s of icons.

Garmin is better at Marketing vs delivering good, fully functional products.

---------------------

Delaypat

---------------------

“get over it......”

When it’s fixed

---------------------

Neo_Geo

---------------------

I live on GPS Systems – It’s part of my job. My mission is to get people to stop giving out bad advice……..on these units.

What’s the first thing you checked after reading these threads. To see if you unit was missing this feature?

I’d be depressed to if I bought one for that much money and found out through a post that I got burned – Take some of my Prozac it will ease the pain !!!!!!!!!!!!

Venting is also a good way to relieve the anxiety – Talk to me later when you learn how to use a GPS and a Computer. If you don’t use a computer very often – then a file system shouldn’t matter to you.

Dr. Phil

---------------------

wickedsprint

---------------------

Sorry about your purchase – I’ll stop telling people about the bad choice. It’s the viewers of these threads that will be the real winners.

Most of the Posters can’t go too far – for too long – to too many place – or too fast. Their units won’t allow it.

Just keep saying – “God I love my Geocache Icon/ Single Only Category” – “And I love Garmin too”

How much did I pay for that one icon? Only you know.

IT’S BEEN A RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The windshield argument is poor, it is more like a car coming with a different standard for the lugnuts, like metric vs standard, it is STILL very easy to get the tire off, and likely not noticed at the dealership, nor is it anything of great concern.

Give me a GOOD scenario where I will NEED to RAPIDLY search for a waypoint category and I might buy your argument. Right now it seems to work fine for flying(primary use) walking and driving. Since the waypoints can be brought up by symbol, proximity or by name, I still fail to see your concern.

Edited by wickedsprint

Amazing that we have a two page thread with one noob raving about a non-existent problem. His/her suggestion that the rest of us are or should be upset about being "ripped" off, because the GPSr doesn't use the phrase "category" is laughable. We can explain all we like that these units provide the same functionality through selecting icons, but it won't do any good. As you were, all.

Everyone on this board has bee genuinely fun – I love the joust.

But seriously. With the Garmin 60CS and 76CS your only Waypoint Options are:

1. Know the names of your waypoints – Search by Name.

2. Scroll through all of the waypoints – One by One.

With 500+ Waypoints neither is an option.

Now picture this. A three week fishing trip to Canada – MapSource Top Canada loaded.

I am hitting 16 different lakes with 35 waypoints on each lake = 560 Total Waypoints. All the lake are in close proximity.

I portage over to Lake 2 and want to find all of the reefs and weed beds on that lake. With waypoint categories I don’t have to worry about cryptic name or icons. I build the waypoint is MapSource and dump them into “Named Categories” – I can put the same waypoints in multiple category folders. When I am on that lake – I see that lakes waypoints only and a far away point on how to get back to the cabin.

A 14 day driving trip – I only want to see Waypoints for DAY1 – Some of those same DAY1 Waypoints are also going to be used on DAY14 for the trip back – They can be in both DAY1 and DAY14 category folders. I don’t want to see them on DAY2 thru DAY13 because they mean nothing to me at that time.

With the 60CS and 76CS I’m stuck scrolling every waypoint or knowing their name.

On my Kids Garmin Quest – I have folders for DAY, DAY2, DAY3, DAY4, etc…………………….Plus I can still see all of the waypoints or search them by name.

If you’re hunting or fishing who cares about waypoints that have nothing to do with someplace else 100’s of miles away – tuck it into a folder and hide it. I only want to know where the spots are that I need now and at this time.

The 76CS and Quest came out at the same time – I got the quest for the kids and the 76CS for me. They had more waypoint function and laughed at my “field model” purchase.

Don’t say you don’t need until you have tried it……….and then don’t have it anymore. Go from 1000 waypoints in 16 category database on a Quest – then dump those same 1000 waypoints down to a 76CS – You’ll pull your hair out.

With 16 Category Folders you become 84% more efficient at finding your data.

Garmin had the technology at the time but chose not to give it to 60CS and 76CS Users……….Instead they gave you data clutter.

Don’t be pissed at me – Be pissed at Garmin. They’re the ones who shorted you.

Sputnik 57

Hey Stalin - When Garmin comes out with the new product line that has waypoint categories - I'll buy your POS 60CS for $25 on EBay - Because it's a only a receiver. Not much better then a good map and compass.

Like the rest of the Soviet Union – You got burned and went down in flames.

Nice Informed Purchase - Check the buttons yet? Oh too bad.

When your Mom lets you drive past the end of the block you'll see what I mean -Keep spreading the propaganda.

Apparently you haven't read the 'What would you ask Garmin' thread, there are far better suggestions there than just categories.

Personally I think your angst vs feature options is way out of proportion.

Edit: typos

Edited by BlueDeuce

But seriously.  With the Garmin 60CS and 76CS your only Waypoint Options are:

1. Know the names of your waypoints – Search by Name.

2. Scroll through all of the waypoints – One by One.

This is where you are wrong, when you call up waypoints it displays those nearest you, again one more option. We are not pissed at you or garmin because we don't believe we have been shortted nor is this a problem. Are you saying we can't name them to 16 different symbols and just search by symbols..I fail to see how that is 84% slower than searching by 16 written names.

Edited by wickedsprint

BlueDeuce

Yah……......You’re right -> “How about seperate date base for POI that list all the Starbucks in the world”

Now that discussion board is going to get me something that I really need.

Not like - You’re Flagship Field Product doesn’t have a file system. Why?

Maybe I should ask them for POI’s at Disneyland – Now that would be an intelligent upgrade improvement. Hey I’ll get a Starbucks along the way.

GAL

wickedsprint

When you're flying what's your nearest waypoint 200 Miles Away - And what if there is a mountain between you and that closest waypoint.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a folder with Waypoints around the mountain?

Closest could be bad for a Pilot.

Closest is useless and put there to fill screen space - Who cares.

You are suffering under the delusion that your idea is the make or break deal for buying a 60/76cs.

I can appreciate your request for a file systems but you really should be talking to Garmin, not us.

Maybe you should pass along your idea/suggestion to your supervisor.

wickedsprint

When you're flying what's your nearest waypoint 200 Miles Away - And what if there is a mountain between you and that closest waypoint.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a folder with Waypoints around the mountain?

Closest could be bad for a Pilot.

Closest is useless and put there to fill screen space - Who cares.

When flying I will choose where I am going in advance and I avoid mountains by looking outside as well as a certain level of pre-planning. I use the gps to supplement the chart, not rely on the gps. Who cares if the mountain is in the way if I intend to use that waypoint on my route or as my destination, I still need to navigate to it eventually either by flying over or around if that is the waypoint Ihave decided on. I also have the option of holding the GOTO and it displaying the nearest aviation waypoints, and I can choose all of the categories by symbol, navaids, airports, artcc, FSS and a few more... This is not really the argument you were reffering to anyhow, your argument is to prevent scrolling through a list of 1000 names. With my aviation database this is not much of an issue because I can control the level of zoom that each specific category appears not to mention not really having a need for 1000 waypoints when flying since the jeppesen database pretty much includes any possible waypoint I will ever need to navigate to or use on a route. I can see maybe running into some difficulty when calling up a waypoint I want to go direct to but since I did my preplanning I will have it memorized and if I am near it I just hold down the direct/goto and it calls it up *shrugs*

Edited by wickedsprint

wickedsprint

OK……….but what about the guy in the motorboat that can’t get to the other lakes waypoints because there is a landmass in the way.

Do I really want to see those closer waypoints – No ????

I can’t speak to the 96C and I don’t expect you to fly into a mountain. But why do you want to “FIND” “WAYPOINT” and even see that one Bad Waypoint by mistake?

Starting to get the picture?

I see where you are coming from, But if you save say lake 1s waypoints as a different symbol than lake 2s, will you not be able to only search for a certain symbol? It was my understanding you could do this. Just because that waypoint is on the other side of the mountain, doe not make it a bad waypoint when flying. My gps has a unique function in that the HSI displays the desired course from when the GOTO was entered, and the heading bug (small dot above the compass rose) will track the bearing to the waypoint, so if I have to go around the mountain, once I am clear I just fly to the heading bug to get aligned with new course then re enter the goto, if I am flying halfway decent the HSI should then align straight up and down. Not relevant to our topic but handy nonetheless. It is like having the bearing needle and the course pointer at the same time..well that is exactly what it is.

Edited by wickedsprint

With all your posts..., what you are really saying is that you would really LOVE to own a Garmin 60c, 60cs, 76c, 76cs if they would just take care of the Waypoint thing?

If you will draft up a formal written request to send to Garmin addressing this problem and asking Garmin to correct it along with anything else you can think of, I for one will gladly sign it.

Yeah I could see how his complaint is legit, but only in a few circumstances, like navigating in close proximity to several other waypoints that you have no intention of using anytime soon, and for his boater situation that could very well be an annoyance. I admit his categories would be nice, but had he presented himself with a bit more maturity from the beggining I think he might have been taken more seriously. In most situations, at least for my use the lack of waypoint categories are not a hindrance, but I guess that isbecause all of the waypoints I use are already pre-categorized and searchable as such.

Still have to scroll through all of the files or know there names - I want a weed bed symbol for weed bed - on all of the lakes.

I could also use goofy names to denote the differences – but I still have to search or scroll.

Or Garmin could just give is Waypoint Categories……………They give me that fuction in the MapSource Software and it works perfectly.

They will put it in the next model and charge a lot – you just wait and see.

b_rad2cool is working that angle on getting it fixed.

---------------------

Neo_Geo

---------------------

I live on GPS Systems – It’s part of my job.  My mission is to get people to stop giving out bad advice……..on these units.

What’s the first thing you checked after reading these threads.  To see if you unit was missing this feature?

I’d be depressed to if I bought one for that much money and found out through a post that I got burned – Take some of my Prozac it will ease the pain !!!!!!!!!!!!

Venting is also a good way to relieve the anxiety – Talk to me later when you learn how to use a GPS and a Computer.  If you don’t use a computer very often – then a file system shouldn’t matter to you.

I live on computers - it IS MY job! I started out building them, then repairing them - branched out to networking and Internet systems. So I DEFINITELY KNOW HOW TO USE A COMPUTER!

I've had my 60C since they first hit the market - goin' on close to 18 months now, and I know how to use it too :lol:

I just don't think it needs a "file system" to manage waypoints. I get by easily with sorting by type or finding by name. If you think you need a file system for your GPSr, then I encourage YOU to learn how to use one.

What’s the first thing I checked after reading these threads? I can assure you that it WASN'T to see if my unit was missing this feature - I'll take your word on that. No, the first thing I checked was your Geocaching profile :lol:

Anyway, if your mission is to get people to stop giving out bad advice, then you should simply talk to yourself (as I'm sure you do often), and convince yourself that "warning" people not to buy a 60 is just crazy talk!

Those who own a 60 love the 60! It's as simple as that. Since you're trash-talking the 60, then you must not have one - but desperately want one, but for whatever reason CAN'T have one! :D

Come back and see us when you can finally have one. :P

Edited by Neo_Geo

Neo_Geo

1,000 – That ONE THOUSAND – You would put 1,000 files on a diskette in the root directory?

One Thousand – Dump 1000 Waypoints to your 60C and see how long it take you to scroll though 1,000 files. Search by name Computer Guy – I’m sure you can memorize 1,000 names – Or Hey write them down on paper and carry them with you – isn’t that what we use technology for? – input data from paper in the field – Hope it’s not raining or your lost.

The mission is to let people know that Garmin missed the boat with the 60CS and 76CS and not to believe all of the “Sunshine Up Your Butt Flower Children” like you who didn’t even now the feature was let off of the unit.

1,000 Waypoints – 1000 Pieces of Paper – 1000 Different Size Nut and Bolts – And a big box to put them in…… but no good way find them easily.

Throw 1,000 Pennies into a jar – Then find me all of the coins from all of the decades. If you had them sorted in 10 jars it would take 1 second. With your method - about three hours.

Maybe Garmin should have given you a 1,000 penny rebate with you 60C unit + a Big jar to put them in

I see why you got out of the computer business.

My Garmin 2610 can't do categories either. I group different category by naming them starting with a unique number- Problem solved :lol: . I don't even need to do that for geocaches, they all start out with a G!

I don't see a reason to get all worked up for :lol:

So do your G's all come before your B's - What if you have 650 B's - How long does it take you to scroll down to the G's.

Hey a Category Folder with the Name Geocache would be nice - then you could give your Waypoints real names.

If Garmin sent you a pair of cruches - would you use them if your leg were fine?

Thanks for the idea but it dosen't work for me. I like file systems.

I saw this earlier in the prior page 'this thread is a joke' and I just stopped to say I agree.

We got someone who has zero geocaching finds, fishes all the lakes in Canada, and wants Garmin to change their geocaching flagship to suit his and only his needs. Yea, I am sure garmin will jump on that one to keep this 'almost customer' happy. Here, drink your kool-aid.

Sorry I can't stay around, I gotta go start a thread to demand garmin change the color of the plastic they use in their injection molding equipment because dark dark brown goes better with my backpack and my GPSr is black.

Edited by wornout

wickedsprint

But what if you have 350 Girlfriends too – Listed GRFL1, GRFL2, GRFL3 etc……….?

I need Garmin to offer a Hidden Protected Waypoint Category/ Folder………so my wide can’t see what I’m up to.

Hey………..b_rad2cool………..could you add that to my list and get working on it?

1,000 That’s A LOT !

wornout

Come on back when you get a life...............Telling people how cool your GPS is based on the color of the plastic – Buy it because its brown. Don’t know what it does – don’t what it doesn’t do – But I bought it – Its COOL.

Pretty typical of this crowd – real technology wizards.

The smart ones stayed away – YOU BOUGHT!

Get it ?????