Garmin 60c, 60cs, 76c, 76cs

I have had a lot of discussions with many people about what I feel is a crucial missing function on the Garmin 60C/ CS – 76C/ CS hand-held units.

These are great looking units…………but it seems that Garmin rushed them to market and forgot to put in any good way to manage the hundreds of User Waypoints that can be stored in the unit.

I would hate to see other people go out and buy the unit without thinking the importance of this missing feature. I know it was too late for others who bought the units because of the advance functions – and never though to check for the basic function that should have been there in the first place.

I welcome your input.

Some Past Threads that have gone by…………………………

--------------

Thread 1

--------------

Keep in mind that both the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS have a huge deficiency – Neither supports “Waypoint Categories”.

You could spend all day on their MapSource Software putting your 100’s/ 1,000’s of different types of waypoints into specific categories – once you download all of your Waypoints to either of these two units – they are all jumbled together – categories DON’T come down – You end up with One Big Dumb Happy List of Files. Impossible to figure anything out.

Hopefully Garmin fired the moron who coded this software – he probably has 10,000 PC files on his C:\ root directory – with no folders or subdirectories. My kids have a far less expensive Garmin Quest and it supports Waypoint Categories” - Go figure.

They rushed both the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS to market without proper testing - I took mine back as soon as I saw that this crucial category feature was missing – I also made them take back my MapSource Software. It is borderline fraudulent to have features in the Software that aren’t download compatible with the Unit.

If you don’t mind pulling your hair out on long multi-leg trips – Go with either unit…………Or wait until Garmin fixes this bug.

FYI

--------------

Thread 2

--------------

No - You figured it out – That’s the best you’re going to get until it gets fixed. I talked with Garmin about this missing feature and they said they might try and fix it with a firmware upgrade to the units. I know at least 50 people who passed on the 60C/ CS and 76C/ CS because of this missing feature.

Lowrance is putting MP3 function into their units and Garmin can even put simple waypoint organization into their top of the line units – Go Figure? Gee I would think that Waypoint organization is important when you emphasize “Stores 1000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol” Paging through 1000 Waypoints every time knocks the advertised battery life from 20 hours down to about 2 hours.

Both of these units are “non-starters” until Garmin gets it fixed……….and they should be viewed cautiously when used for long periods in the field. Waypoint searches kill the useful life of these units.

Sorry I didn’t get to you sooner

--------------

Thread 3

--------------

It’s huge for me. I could be fishing an three parallel lakes and “Waypoint by Closest Proximity” will show me more waypoints on lakes that I’m not even fishing on…..just because they are closer through the tree line. That is dumb when you’re taking 400 fishing waypoints scattered all over the screen list. It is waste of battery life.

The same is true when hiking around a mountain – waypoints on the other side of the mountain show up first on the list because they are closer in a straight distance – never taking into account that there is a mountain in the way.

When you are sitting in a building designing software – you need to take into account outdoor situations.

For example – when you’re driving with your Garmin 76CS why to you see waypoints to show up that might not be part of your travel itinerary – just because they are closer by? Who cares?

Just be careful if you buy a 60C/ CS or 76C/ CS – it is 85% there – But missing waypoint categories will drive you nuts.

It is awesome to have the categories in the Garmin MapSource Software. I can manage everything that I need. Why they didn’t transfer this function to the unit is beyond me – It was a rush to market.

The Garmin Quest Developers did it and got it right – But the unit is rechargeable and not good for field use.

These are great looking units…………but it seems that Garmin rushed them to market and forgot to put in any good way to manage the hundreds of User Waypoints that can be stored in the unit.

I'm not sure what you are going on about. I love the way my 60CS manages waypoints. I have almost 1,000 on the unit.

I can sort by distance from my location, sort by name, separate out geocaches and best of all I can access any one directly by keying in the name (Magellan can't do the latter). I've yet to have a need to get any more granular than that and don't see why I would ever want to.

You can go to menu, select category and then you only have the waypoints in the category. Some one must not have read their manual.

Yeah, but I think he's pulling loc files and expecting Garmin to cat cache types.

He stated that he spent hours putting the cache types in Mapsource before uploading them to the GPS

You could spend all day on their MapSource Software putting your 100’s/ 1,000’s of different types of waypoints into specific categories – once you download all of your Waypoints to either of these two units – they are all jumbled together – categories DON’T come down – You end up with One Big Dumb Happy List of Files. Impossible to figure anything out.

Also if you search for the previous threads the OP posted you will find that all three quotes can be attributed to him. At first I thought that other people had had the problem with the unit.

The post he is quoting from is here.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=98412

Hey....webscouter

Just went to a 76CS Waypoint Menu ->

"Find by Name"

"Select Symbol"

"Change Reference"

"Delete"

Someone must be raiding the drug cabinet. Get on to a unit before you speak.

Stop lying to these people - The unit does not have it!

Learn to read the options.................

Hey....webscouter

"Find by Name"

"Select Symbol"

"Change Reference"

"Delete"

Load more than one waypoint, select one and change the symbol, then try again. you'll see it.

webscouter

Just went to the 60CS and 76CS pdf manual.......did a search on "catagory" "catagories". 0 insatances found.

That 0 like in zero - You must make up your own manuals or are too stupid to figure out what I'm talking about.

Garmin has aknowledged that it's a known problem.

Anyone who has a unit know what I'm talking about.

Hey....webscouter

"Find by Name"

"Select Symbol"

"Change Reference"

"Delete"

Someone must be raiding the drug cabinet.  Get on to a unit before you speak.

Dude, you said you returned the unit.

I don't really understand your attitude, nobody does.

Edited by vr12
webscouter

Just went to the 60CS and 76CS pdf manual.......did a search on "catagory" "catagories".  0 insatances found.

That 0 like in zero - You must make up your own manuals or are too stupid to figure out what I'm talking about.

Garmin has aknowledged that it's a known problem.

Anyone who has a unit know what I'm talking about.

I have a unit and the manual. Page 41. (76cs)

It depends on the file type you download from gc.com that assists in the ability to manage waypoints.

Yes, the GPS could always do better, but some of the things you are saying aren't available, are.

Edit to mention gps type and file type.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Hey....webscouter

"Find by Name"

"Select Symbol"

"Change Reference"

"Delete"

Try select symbol.

This guy that is too stupid to understand what you are saying just looked at the manual.

PG 21

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/afefcd9f-...ac94b57c9e5.jpg

PG 26

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/f9ef013f-...c182c5b5843.jpg

Screen print of my 60CS with all waypoints

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/83c8d159-...7ab4b107288.jpg

Screen print of my 60CS with the selection screen

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/fe02931d-...a0e5293caee.jpg

Screen print of my 60CS showing just multi caches

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/a3a9cff9-...f8b03dd4015.jpg

Your right it doesn't work. :o

webscouter

What does "Select Symbol" have to do with anything?

What is the page # that lets me organize my 1000 waypoints into "Catagory" "Catagories" "Folders" ?????????

People who are going to buy this unit want to know the page # What is it?????

The $250 Garmin Quest Unit has this feature......but their Field Flagship Products don't.

Organizing by "Icon" or "Symbol" doesn't do anything for anybody.

Can't find the page number - can you??????

You must make up your own manuals or are too stupid to figure out what I'm talking about.

HonestPleasure,

This forum is full of friends that have come to enjoy conservation with one another and share useful tips and ideas.

I don't apperciate this kind of flaming being brought to a place that has been so friendly.

Get a grip and get a feel for this board before starting such mess.

This is a pretty trivial thing to get worked up about, I think most people here agree that this is not a deal breaker or even worthy of serious consideration...except you. Just use different symbols for your fishing hotspots for different lakes, and with xlimage you can make an infinite number of your own icons anyhow. This is not rocket science hoss.

Edited by wickedsprint

wickedsprint

Not worked up about it. I'm a computer guy. If Bill Gates next Operating System came out without a file system. I'd get worked up about it.

I don't like 1000 pieces of paper on my desk - I like folders.

This is a deal breaker if you in the bush for three weeks.........searching waypoints all day munches batteries pretty fast.

You've made your point on two different threads. There are a lot of GPSmap 60C(S)/76C(S) users on this board and it hasn't been a problem for any of them thus far.

FYI - about six months ago I made a polite request to Garmin about a feature. They sent me a note saying no one had ever asked for such a thing so I figured I was out of luck. Within a couple of firmware updates they had implemented my request perfectly.

They may be working on yours too.

I've owned alot Garmin Products over the years.........This one won't get fix unless people know it's there........and stop buying them.

I can get my hands on a 60CS or a 76CS anytime I want. I will use for short trips, but not long ones.

The Mapsource Software has had this "Organize by Catagory" feature for years.

How does anybody forget to put it in the unit? It shouldn't have needed to be fixed.

If I'm thinking of buying a 76CS and I'm reading these threads - I'm waiting.

After looking into the Mapsource program I find that I am wrong and Honest Pleasure is correct. You cannot organize by catagory on the 60CS. I have always used the waypoint symbol as a "folder"

My apologies to Honest Pleasure.

ps. Where can I get a quest for $250?

webscouter

Apology accepted. I could give you my kids Quest for $250 – But I need it travel – After all it does have “Waypoints by Category”. I’m thinking it’s pretty important to me.

After all I have 234,005 on my Server and I can any file faster then a waypoint a 60CS or a 76CS.

I've owned alot Garmin Products over the years.........This one won't get fix unless people know it's there........and stop buying them.

I can get my hands on a 60CS or a 76CS anytime I want.  I will use for short trips, but not long ones.

The Mapsource Software has had this "Organize by Catagory" feature for years.

How does anybody forget to put it in the unit?  It shouldn't have needed to be fixed.

If I'm thinking of buying a 76CS and I'm reading these threads - I'm waiting.

These units manage waypoints just fine. They just don't manage them the way YOU want them to be managed.

Organizing by "Icon" or "Symbol" doesn't do anything for anybody.

Works for me and because your complaint is the first I've ever seen about it, I'm guessing it works for most people..

The $250 Garmin Quest Unit has this feature......but their Field Flagship Products don't.

And yeah, where can I get a Quest for $250? I'd snap a bunch up at that price and sell them on eBay for double that.

Edited by briansnat
Let me fix this category/folder issue before I leave the building.  It's a problem that a 10 year old could fix.

Once done.............your 60CS and 76CS's will be the best they can be!

I see, that moron you were talking about is you.

I must agree it is so zen :o

Edited by vr12

Loyalty becomes an issue when you are warning people away from your companies products. Although I think most of us are pretty sure this is a joke. If you do work for garmin gimme a handheld with a worldwide city select type basemap not requiring any mapsource downloads except every year when city select comes out.

BTW: Quest which supposedly have this feauture came out AFTER 60C/CS.

Wouldn't be surprised if that feature in MapSource appeared at the same time too.

Just cheked, only 6.1 and after have "Waypoint Categories"

Edited by vr12
Version 5 on my other computer has it - More bad information being spread. No wonder these companies can sqeek things by - there's so much bad information going around - it's like taking candy from a baby.

V6R1 - Laugh!

According to Garmin it doesn't have it.

vr12

BTW.  Quest and 76CS were different development teams and totally different sofware.  Night and Day to be exact.

What exactly does it prove ?

As I said - this feature is more recent then these two units, therefore

you are wrong.

Edited by vr12

vr12

Version 5 = 2003 (Had the Feature)

76CS = 2004

Quest = 2004

Here read the Quote

Changes made from version 4.13 to 5.0:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

" Added category and subcategory feature searching parameters. This allows for users to search for specific categories"

WRONG !

It also mean the Quest Development Team got it right.

60/76CS got it WRONG.

Get it............WRONG

What did you do call them and asked - More BS being doled around !!!

vr12

BTW.  Quest and 76CS were different development teams and totally different sofware.  Night and Day to be exact.

What exactly does it prove ?

As I said - this feature is more recent then these two units, therefore

you are wrong.

Forget about it. It's going to say anything just to bait you.