New Virtual Guidlines

treasure_hunter

I recently tried to submit a cache in a Nature Preserve as a virtual since there are no physical containers allowed. The approver said that he couldnt approve it that I may want to try an earthcache "which by the way worked" He also said something about new guidlines for Virtual Caches to be expected soon. Has anyone else heard about this?

I liked everything about this earth cache except the fact that the logging requirements have nothing to do with what makes this an earth cache.

I know a place like that, too. VERY special, but you MUST stay on the trails, and it is a highly protected natural area where a stray box would be a no-no, but people are welcome.

I also have a really nice idea for a virtual that has been waiting to be used for months (in my head). It'll be a tricky one to get....it's one that finds YOU rather than you going to IT.

So I'm also hoping to see the virtual guidelines soon.

WOW, a waterfall.

not

Wow, when somebody finds something to please Mopar let me know!

Lots of things please me. Waterfalls are near the top of that list. Just because it pleases me doesn't mean it has to be listed as a geocache. Most waterfalls would not meet the guidelines for a virtual geocache that have been in place for several years now.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

~Patiently waiting for the new virt section to come online to the public.~

Of course, we don't know what guidelines these would have to adhere to, but it's assumed by many to be much less stringent than the present ones.

...oh, they're not caches, either.

Originally, Earthcaches were all listed under the account Geoaware who was and still is approving them before sending them to gc. They were however being credited to the submitter by listing it something like "by SouthSurreyScavengers via Geoaware". Even though actual ownership remained as Geoaware.

The plan was always to get the submitters to be the owners but a few things had to be ironed out first. Once the issues were worked out he started getting the ownership of the existing Earthcaches changed to the people who submitted them. At that point there were 50-75 to transfer and it took some time to complete. One of mine actually took over a month because the name was incorrect while others took a few days.

Then when the approval process was straightened out between GSA and GC they actually started getting Earthcaches approved within a day or two but they showed up as a virt instead of an Earthcache. They would then be converted to an Earthcache a few days affter listing.

Now that approval process is much quicker for the whole process (a few days usually instead of a few weeks), new Earthcaches are now listed under the correct owner right from the start and the cache type is correct as well. This has been in place for about 2-3 months.

Of course, we don't know what guidelines these would have to adhere to, but it's assumed by many to be much less stringent than the present ones.

Since new virtuals are not being approved (*) they can hardly be more stringent! But I wouldn't hold your breath expecting them to be significantly more user-friendly than the current ones. For one thing, I fully anticipate that the nonsensical "vacation virtuals need local maintenance" mindset will persist.

(*) Yeah, technically virts are still being approved. But the rate is statistically consistent with zero unless you are a Special Person.

As a volunteer, I will be giving a lecture on the use of GPS for trail users this coming Saturday. The lecture is sponsored by the NPS managers at the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (SMMNRA). The SMMNRA includes private property and property managed by NPS, California State Parks and several conservancies. During Saturday's lecture, NPS and CA State enforcement Rangers will also talk about Geocaching policies for their property. The NPS people would like to suggest VIRTUAL CACHES for their property.

Not knowing the future of virtual caching, I don't know what to say about it.

Can someone tell me what what plans are for future virtual caching?

AFAIK, virtual caching will go away completely. What we know as a virtual cache and locationlesses will be moved over to a new concept. Makes sense as neither are caches in any sense of the word.

Don't know what the disposition of the present caches are going to be--if they are going to moved over or left here. My personal opinion would be they should be moved over. I'd be happy to take the count hit to have a area clean of non-physical caches. However, I'm sure there will be howls of displeasure if it happened.

Of course, this is speculation, but my take on what I've heard so far.

As a volunteer, I will be giving a lecture on the use of GPS for trail users this coming Saturday. The lecture is sponsored by the NPS managers at the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (SMMNRA). The SMMNRA includes private property and property managed by NPS, California State Parks and several conservancies. During Saturday's lecture, NPS and CA State enforcement Rangers will also talk about Geocaching policies for their property. The NPS people would like to suggest VIRTUAL CACHES for their property.

If the NPS wants some information maybe you should contact Jeremy or one of the TPTB at Groundspeak.

Don't know what the disposition of the present caches are going to be--if they are going to moved over or left here.  My personal opinion would be they should be moved over.  I'd be happy to take the count hit to have a area clean of non-physical caches.  However, I'm sure there will be howls of displeasure if it happened.

There also could be howls of displeasure if it doesn't happened.

I guess the question is which group will cause Jeremy the least grief.

Edited by AllenLacy
Don't know what the disposition of the present caches are going to be--if they are going to moved over or left here.  My personal opinion would be they should be moved over.  I'd be happy to take the count hit to have a area clean of non-physical caches.  However, I'm sure there will be howls of displeasure if it happened.

There also could be howls of displeasure if it doesn't happened.

I guess the question is which group will cause Jeremy the least grief.

why not move them, BUT still have NON-Physical caches count.

Hey guys - so people visited earthcaches and all they found was a bridge and a waterfall? I am surprised you did not learn something else about the earth from your visit......all the earthcaches approved have some lesson to be learnt from the visit. Thats the whole concept!

There are earthcache guidelines at www.earthcache.org. Not every earthcache that is put forward is being approved - we reject around 40% - but for many of these the developers come back with better versions which finally are approved.

In some cases older virtuals are being replaced by earthcaches (at the approval of the vituals owner)...as they make more sense.

We really appreciate the effort developers are putting into earthcaches. They take time to do the research and presnt a real experience for all who visit. They do take time to get right...and the effort put in benefits everyone.

So thanks!!

Don't know what the disposition of the present caches are going to be--if they are going to moved over or left here.

If I remember correctly, Jeremy posted that current LCs will remain as they are, so I assume that grandfathered virts would, also. I'll try to find the thread, but it could just be the drugs talking.

Hey guys - so people visited earthcaches and all they found was a bridge and a waterfall? I am surprised you did not learn something else about the earth from your visit......all the earthcaches approved have some lesson to be learnt from the visit. Thats the whole concept!

There are earthcache guidelines at www.earthcache.org. Not every earthcache that is put forward is being approved - we reject around 40% - but for many of these the developers come back with better versions which finally are approved.

In some cases older virtuals are being replaced by earthcaches (at the approval of the vituals owner)...as they make more sense.

We really appreciate the effort developers are putting into earthcaches. They take time to do the research and presnt a real experience for all who visit. They do take time to get right...and the effort put in benefits everyone.

So thanks!!

Actually, the earthcache I visited was a swamp. Yea, I guess by some stretch you can say a swamp relates to geology. Certainly nothing like I imagined these would be like when they were first announced. I guess I expected spectacular examples; not just any old swamp, marsh, lake, rock formation, or ridgeline.

:lol: Hmmmmm.............. TRY READING THE CACHE PAGE! You may learn a little. Duhhh :lol: !!!!!!

Hey guys - so people visited earthcaches and all they found was a bridge and a waterfall?  I am surprised you did not learn something else about the earth from your visit......all the earthcaches approved have some lesson to be learnt from the visit.  Thats the whole concept!

:yikes: Hmmmmm.............. TRY READING THE CACHE PAGE! You may learn a little. Duhhh :laughing: !!!!!!

It would be nice if the cache site supported the page write-up. The cache I'm referring hardly does. The cache page has a handful of vocab words on rivers, none of which you'll see from the bridge. There's an earthcache near me that's about salt and salt mines. The cache site is the front gate of the mine. You can't tour mine or actually see any salt.

What's the point of making an earthcache if you can't see the things that are mentioned in the write-up? Would you enjoy it if I wrote up a nice page on glacier rock deposits and had you come visit my backyard? You won't see any of these rocks but I can assure you those rocks are just inches below my lovely manicured grass.

I feel the site should be as important as the cache write up. Check this one, Rocks that Grew Earthcache or this cache, Grand River Ledges Earthcache. I haven't been to the first one yet but it certainly looks like you will be seeing the very formations described on the cache page. The Grand River Ledges was awesome. It's everything you'd want in an earthcache.

But this thread was about virtuals, not earthcaches...

Hey guys - so people visited earthcaches and all they found was a bridge and a waterfall?  I am surprised you did not learn something else about the earth from your visit......all the earthcaches approved have some lesson to be learnt from the visit.  Thats the whole concept!

:angry: Hmmmmm.............. TRY READING THE CACHE PAGE! You may learn a little. Duhhh :yikes: !!!!!!

I hate to agree with Mopar :grin: but I checked out the waterfall Earthcache and I just don't see how it fits into the earthcache guidelines.

EarthCaches must provide earth science lessons. They take people to sites that can help explain the formation of landscapes or to sites of interesting phenomena such as folds, faults, intrusions or reveal how scientists understand our Earth (such as fossil sites etc.).

I've read the cache page and it just tells me about the park. Where's the earth science lesson? I only see two things about earth science at all in the cache page. 1) brief mention that water affects sandstone and 2) a parenthetical comment at the bottom about what gorges are.

I'm disappointed in the direction earthcaches have gone. :angry: I was concerned they would simply become replacements for virtual caches. When do I get to go to Huskers house for the next earthcache?

The cache page does have quite a bit about the Earth Sciences. This from the cache page:

"The Gorge (is a valley walled by cliffs. It originated by a process of long-time erosion from a plateau level, with a stream gradually carving out its valley. The cliffs form because harder rock strata that are resistant to erosion and weathering remain exposed on the valley walls. Canyons are much more common in arid areas than in wetter areas because weathering has a lesser effect in arid zones. Canyons' walls are often formed of resistant sandstones or granite.) was sculpted by the running water, which flows from the top of Pine Mountain a few thousand years ago. The gorge itself is around 200 ft wide and the walls are around 150 ft high. "

It would be nice to see a photograph of the site though before it was listed. Because I agree that any old Waterfall should not qualify as an Earthcache. This one may be far more than just another Waterfall as indicated by the description but without a photo its difficult to know if this site is really special enough to be an Earthcache. As an Earthcache promoter myself I do not want to see the watering down of Earthcaches. They should not only provide educational aspects of the Earth Sciences but also be something that visitors can look at and see something spectacular that makes them want to learn more.

The cache page does have quite a bit about the Earth Sciences. This from the cache page:

Yeah, that was the second thing I mentioned. Just a parenthical comment at the end of a cache description, hardly seems to be in the spirit of an earthcache.

I guess I was just expecting earthcache's to be a lot more informational than this one. If these are the standards any waterfall, river, mountain, stream, cliff, lake, etc. can become an earthcache. Just include a generic explanation of what forces make waterfalls, rivers, mountains, streams, cliffs, lakes, etc. somewhere in the description.

It seems to be a great spot for a cache and it's too bad that physical caches aren't allowed there. I doubt many people will be too upset that the cache brought them to that preserve. It just seems like a pretty poor earthcache.

snp_badbranch.jpg

Have the new virtual rules been established. I found this cache got approved the other day.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0c-396a01d9becb  Lest We Forget, GCPE58    I saw this but couldn't find anything about any new virts, or LC's on the homepage.

? :anicute: ? :blink: ?

All I can say is WOW!

A wall mural (how unique!) got approved because the hider just didn't want to put a micro in (no offense is meant to the hider, that is the way it should work IMHO). Maybe I can get a local mural set up as a virt too:

1899862_200.JPG

I say wow everytime I see it....altho it's not meant in a good way..... :blink:

Now, I like virts and LC and micro's, but this is a perfect example of what is wrong with the current system. Hope the new one comes online soon.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery