Caching My Life Away

Obviously, if you are on this board you are a diehard geocacher.

But ever since I got my Magellan eXplorist 600, MapSend Topo 3D and my Geocaching.com Premium Membership, I've been geocaching and nearly nothing else.

Plus, I've been watching the Magellan contest logs and trying to figure out all the tricky clues. It looks like they're in Las Vegas, Houston and Tampa this week.

It may just be a summer thing, or the fact that it is all so new.

Should I be concerned? Has anyone ever needed rehab for geocaching?

Some people do burn out. Find their first 100 caches in no time and then get bored. Try not to be compulsive about it is my advice. Vary the types of caches you go for. Vary the areas you cache in. Remember to take a break now and then and you'll be fine.

Some people do burn out. Find their first 100 caches in no time and then get bored. Try not to be compulsive about it is my advice. Vary the types of caches you go for. Vary the areas you cache in. Remember to take a break now and then and you'll be fine.

I'm having a lot of fun. I never thought finding a little plastic box with some toys in it could be so thrilling! I partly posted this with some tongue-in-cheek, but really I want to run out and geocache right now.

I'm not an addictive person, but my friends and family are getting tired of me talking about it all the time, and dragging them out into the park to find these things.

You've got 14 finds. Did you have an old caching name or just not do much caching for several months?

14 finds in two or three weeks, yeah. I geocached a little last year after I learned about the Magellan game, but I never logged. I had a Magellan Meridian and it was hard for me to figure out.

The eXplorist 600 is easy and fun, and I knew the Magellan game was starting again, so I just recently started caching like crazy.

And I've had a Premium Membership for only about a week, and that makes it a whole new game with the Pocket Query downloads.

You don't think 14 is very much? They were kinda hard to find.

Plus, there's like 15 I tried to do, but could never find. Then I figured out they were virtual or micro or multi or something and there was no box.

I visit these boards every day, yet I've found one cache in the past eight months. I went crazy with it the first year and a half, then I slowed down, and now I'm too busy with two kids to do much outside the house. Also, with my limited time, I've become more selective about what caches I'll go after, which is kind of a catch-22 because the ones I prefer are the ones that take more time (longer hikes and multis). As the kids get older and (I hope) start to enjoy caching, I'm sure I'll get out more.

Also, with my limited time, I've become more selective about what caches I'll go after, which is kind of a catch-22 because the ones I prefer are the ones that take more time (longer hikes and multis).

Don't you mean cache 22? ;)

Some people do burn out. Find their first 100 caches in no time and then get bored.  Try not to be compulsive about it is my advice.  Vary the types of caches you go for.  Vary the areas you cache in.  Remember to take a break now and then and you'll be fine.

I found my 100th find this week. But a couple of weeks ago, my wife and a friend had an intervention. I was cache crazy ;) . They kept saying "You're Addicted!" and I was like "Yeah, so?"

:P

Obviously, if you are on this board you are a diehard geocacher.

I wouldn't make that assumption.

Personally, I am no where near as diehard as I use to be. But, I still occasionally cruise the site and forums looking for something to rekindle the interest I use to have.

Salvelinus