GPS Accessories

Pirogoeth

quote:
Originally posted by Pirogoeth:

I have a Garmin Legend. I see there are a lot of different accessories available for it like cases, mounting brackets, car chargers, etc. What would you recommend getting, if any?

Also, is the map software worth what it costs or is the map on the GPS good enough?

IMHO, a case (not necessarily a Garmin case) is the first accessory I'd get. I have a 2.5 year old yellow eTrex that looks brand new because it has live in a Body Glove case since I've had it. It has tumbled down hills, been dropped on rocks, fell off my motorcycle, etc and looks like it did 2.5 years ago. If your legend did not come with the data cable, that is a close second and the power cable is very nice in the car. As to the maps, you don't need them for caching but it is real nice to have when driving to the cache.

George

eTrex basic

eTrex Vista

For my birthday I received an e-Trex. I really enjoy using that gadget. Where does one purchase a case for it? We bought it at a Dunham's sporting goods store; they had no accessories, just the units. Also, how big is the beanbag type holder for these units? Can someone e-mail me the measurements? Thanks.

PeachyPA

Quilter, Cacher, Cubmaster

I have the nite eyes cases for both of my GPSr's, only issue that i had with them is they put quite a bit of pressure on the clik stick on my vista, so i did a little cutting and put in a backing of cardboard to keep it off of the stick and it works great. I would not put it on the dash in it though. I have the handlebar mount and a suction cup window mount. I love both of them. I also have a power cable and a combo power/serial for a laptop. Next mount will be a mini ram for my boat. Nice thing about using the Garmin mounts is that the same battery cover mounts will fit all of the others, no changing the GPS unit at all to go from windshield mount to handle bar mount.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I have a small tote bag for carrying GPSr, PDA, small Swiss Army knife (the one with the hidden pen), batteries, and compass.

Powercord/PC link is an essential as far as I'm concerned.

Bike mount or car mount are on my wishlist.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by webscouter495:

I really like my car mount and dual power/serial cable from GPSGeek.

I also have the dual cable for the car and the car mount from GPSGeek, and I love the cable.

I'd be wary of the suction mount; the plastic that holds the arm to the bracket breaks easily. There is a warning about it in the packing materials that I didn't see until mine was broken. Nothing that a little epoxy can't fix...

I also bought (and love) the Map Source software.

I'm using a RAM Mount for my windshield with suction cup. I decided on RAM rather than Garmin for my Vista because you can swap to a bycycle mount easily as the holder and clamps do not have to be changed. I didn't like the Garmin mount because you have to take off the battery cover each time and then replace it when done.

The lighter cable is also they way to go - you save bateries while driving which is a considerable portion of its use (for me as I have Metroguide). Also, with the cable you can keep the back light on all the time at night.

Good luck.

Alan

Thanks! I got the eTrex case, which seems like protection enough (I don't plan on dropping it off of any cliffs or anything...) and the car power cable so I don't waste the batteries when I'm driving.

I didn't get a mount because there no real good place inside my car to put it (The top of the dashboard is curvy, so I don't know how well it would stick.) The eTrex case has velcro on it, so maybe I can do something with that, like in the crevase between the dashboard and the driver's side door.

Just make sure you check the satelite reception before you mount the unit. My original intent for my van was to put it where you are suggesting and I couldn't get any reception there. Also make sure you don't put it near the airbag. Don't want it hitting you if you are watching the GPS and drive into a tree or something. icon_biggrin.gif

A positive comment for the Ram GPS Mounts. I bought one for my Magellan Merigold. I used it in the car (w/ suction cup) and on the bicycle for 8 - 9 months until it failed. I contacted the manufacture ( www.ram-mount.com

) and have received a replacement cradle. No cost to me except for some e-mailing back & forth.

So I have happy thoughts about Ram Mounts! Of course maybe their original design could be improved -- it did fail -- but I do take the GPS in & out of the cradle a bunch -- while caching and benchmarking.

Everybody loves benchmarks more! icon_smile.gif

The velcro seems to do the trick. It's mounted next to the dashboard, actually stuch to the door. It's on the other side of the steering wheel, so no airbag concerns, and I don't have to take my eyes off the road (much) to glance at it.

The only problem I seem to have is that my van apparantly has some magnetic shielding around it, as even next to the window, I can barely get a signal. In the other car, I can have it sitting on the floor and I get a great signal. Anything I can do?