Cheap Pda For Geocaching?

Paperless is great. The forums here gave me ideas and I hit the pawn shops.

I found a Sony Clie SJ22 with a color screen, cables, charger, case, and software at a local pawn shop for $55.00. It is expandable with a Sony memory stick. All the Palm lllxe, others recommended, were going for the same money or more.

Uses Palm based PDA's on eBay are the cheapest way to go.

ya, but I gotta add that cheap and PDA are mutually exclusive and don't belong in the same sentence.

cc\

Guess that depends on your definition of cheap. You can get an "open box" PalmOne Zire 21 for like $59.99 right now, directly from palmOne.

That said, I like my Pocket PC, but you'll generally pay more for one than for a palm unit.

I use a Sony TJ25 everyday for work and caching. It is small, light, metal case, high resolution 320x320 TFT color screen that works will in any light including sun. PalmOS 5.2.1, memory stick memory for lots of storage. On eBay they are about $60 to $80. Works well with Plucker, mapping programs, displays .jpg photos/files/maps/aerial photos. Uses USB for sync, but you can get a dual cord-serial/USB. I have attached it to my GPS with a null connector for serial communication. Why get black&white/no-mem card, when for a few dollars more you can get this.

After dropping a $500 iPaq while caching and shattering the screen, I popped over to eBay and bought a Palm 100 for $10. It runs CacheMate just fine ($8 well spent). I don't use it for anything else but caching, so all I care about is how easy it is to synchronize with GSAK and look up cache descriptions in the field. For less than a twenty dollar investment, it works great!