Deviousness

Now that I have ten caches behind me I feel entitled to place one.

The first will be fairly straightforward, I think, but I'm already planning a subsequent multi cache and I'm hoping it will be challenging.

Are there guidelines for multis? Is it, for example, necessary that one can reasonably expect to progress from waypoint to waypoint? Or is it reasonable, as I intend, to require that the clue at one waypoint will require the searcher to go away and do some research? Provided of course that this is reflected in the cache difficulty and a warning is provided?

Rosie

I do enjoy doing puzzle caches, and the couple I have hidden seem to be quite popular (see them from my profile if you want to see the details).

I think it makes the cache interesting if there are intermediate puzzles to solve. Bear in mind that this style will probably reduce the number of visitors a bit. This is, obviously, because they might have travelled a long way to do the cache. Travelling a long way once might be acceptable to people, but having to travel a long way more than once might put people off.

My personal preference is to have a puzzle that has to be solved before you set out and then you find the cache. Another style I like is where you have puzzles in caches, but they take the form that are solvable with a little bit of thought without having to return home.

I love puzzle caches. I like to solve and find, I like to create and place. OTOH, Once I leave the house, I want to find caches. I probably wouldn't search for a cache that was designed to require multiple trips. I already make enough return trips to regular caches! ;)

One of my caches, which seem popular, is a multi. It's helped by the chain of caches being in a lovely location, but what I've done is have various different sizes of cache for different parts... so theres a couple of small tupperware boxes, one "sandwich sized" tupperware box, a micro, plus the final ammo box.

I kinda hope that the variety makes it a bit more fun.

One of the problems of making a cache "more challenging" is that fewer people will visit your cache, and thus miss out on the lovely location where you placed it.

Also bear in mind that its nice if the cache locations, even if themselves a bit "exposed" have a place nearby where cachers can hide away from the muggles for a few minutes.

Paul

I think all caches should be very easy, straightforward and no puzzles ;)

amen :)

Ditto :D

I think there is a place for all kinds of caches. The only problem is when an area has multis in it, without the tradition cache box. :D

The reason I say this is because people who have cached for a number of years, like myself, have to travel quite some distances to bag caches. Unless there is a fantastic multi then I tend to bypass it for the more tradtional cache. I find variety is better than a long multi. It's not just the numbers, it's about getting out and seeing different caches and experiencing as much as I can before setting off home.

I do like some multis, but I have to admit I don't tend to do them, which, I feel for me, is a bit of a waste. I'd much rather be doing trads than multi's. :D

Edited by Sparticus
I think all caches should be very easy, straightforward and no puzzles ;)

Well, that's today's world for you! :)

I placed one anyway. I'm not going to plug it or say where it is, but I think it's nicely hidden, takes you to a lovely, unexpected and comparatively unfrequented spot, and it has no puzzles.

The next one, however... :D

Edited by enitharmon
I think all caches should be very easy, straightforward and no puzzles :P

pardon Ian did I read that :o:D:lol:

Take a look at rutson's cache's if you want to know what devious means. :D

They are good though and well worth the effort :o

/me chuckles quietly at all the srrious replies :D

I have to confess that I'm already a bit bored with the ammo-box-under-a-pile-of-twigs kind of cache, though I suppose these are great for young families.

I am more concerned that the cache be placed somewhere worth visiting, and somewhere which I either would not have known about, or if I knew about it, not have visited, than whether it is just an ammo box, or something meatier.

If a simple cache achieves this, then fine. If a puzzle, or difficult multi achieves this, then fine.