Thales Repair - Customer Satiisfaction - None

This is an update to a previous post...Can not lock onto birds...

I was waiting to update this issue since I had sent the letters to Thales to complain that I was not pleased that it was going to cost me $96.00 to have a unit repaired that had already had service for the same symptoms prior. I sent off a couple of letters to Thales, Jose Castro, (Tech) and Dean Senner (CEO/President) and today I got a call from Brian Oliver as directed by Jose Castro. Brian tried to correct what I was told about the failure due to not updating the almanac..he said it should be turned on a least once every 1 – 2 months to get an almanac. If not, you can expect to wait about two (2) hours for an updated almanac. I was told the regular charge was $150.00, but, I was getting a discount of $96.00 ($90 for service and $6.00 for shipping) due to the fact that I had called in a few times and was requesting to speak with someone. Ya, what is that all about? I have seen the $96 quote in many threads dealing with their service. Real big of them!

He did not hear what I had to say, that I really was not about to pay anything, this unit was “repaired” once before for the same thing. I was told it was too far out of warranty to be covered. He went on to explain that it was fair and this what it is like with all electronic devices as far a failure, repair and service. He just did not get the fact, it was in once already and here it is again! I was now told, that I had a burnt board..but he could not tell me how that happened. I guess that is the same as last time when I was told the board failed. So, this unit got little use, stored, without batteries, and dies a death like this! Guys, this is what you can expect from your Thales unit at some time it seems. I explained about the Map 330 going back and being replaced…they did not have the record on that one..but, I refreshed his memeory! The fact having two units and having the same problems did not phase this guy. I told him that I thought this was a bogus unit, he did not agree. He really did nothing to solve the problem, only to tell me this is they way it is and basically “too bad”. I spent a few hundred dollars per unit, software, and accessories…all to have it useless. Thales does not care and customer satisfaction means nothing to them. I ended the phone call at this point since I was not able to get any satisfaction. I wanted to ask why the almanac issue is not spelled out in the manual, but he was clueless. I wish Jose Castro had called, but, that is why they have people like Brian around…Well, Dean Senner can expect another letter…but, I am sure he cares even less.

I got the my paperweight back from Thales last week. Get this, when the unit came back, they sent back another manual and a swivel cradle….on a unit that is broken..at least I have a cradle to make this an official paperweight. What are these people thinking? Do not even think of buying a Thales unit unless you want to take this crap. So, now I have it, I need to follow up with my AG’s Office to see if there is anything else I can pursue under repair. Anyone else, ideas, experience?

I actually had another thought. (Wow, two in one day.)

I've never owned a maggie, but my 3+ decided to stop locking onto sats a few years ago. I almost replaced it with a V, but I tried a hard reset and reloading the firmware and it went back to working perfectly.

Just a thought.

Could have been a bad day for him, but sounds like plain old bad customer service to me. I have had no issues with my Maggie so far (knock on wood), but I use my PPCs more than my GPSrs unless it is long periods of time.

Working with electronics and computers as much as I do, when it comes to things like bad boards, there are three reasons: (1) the customer did something abnormal with it, (2) it was a bad component from the start, or (3) we are manufacturing crap products. I am venturing a guess in this case that (1) and (3) are out. If it is (2), then step up and make it right, Thales! It happens.

As far as the almanac goes, I had the exact same problem with my Sportrak Map. I sent it in to them, and they returned it with a belt carry case and manual, and the almanac updated. There was no charge for any of this.

On the down side, where the unit used to find satellites and a good lock on position within one minute of power on, now I have to wait as long as 10 minutes for the same results.

The thought occurs to me that since the satellites are in known orbits, there is absolutely no reason for an almanac upgrade necessity. This almost sounds like a catch-all phrase for when they have no idea what the problem is.

I truly tried Magellan. I gave you my unit to be repaired, and it "sort of works". I am now in the market for a replacement, and I can assure anyone interested that it will not say Magellan or Thales on it.

Replace it with a Garmin?

My III+ stopped getting satellite locks one time. It was out of warranty so I sent it in to Garmin telling them that there was no warranty left and that I would like them to send me a repair quote.

A week later, having gotten no response, I emailed them to see what was going on. The support person replied that they had repaired it and it was already on its way back to me. No charge.

That's why I stick with Garmin. I know some people have had complaints about them but my two contacts with them have been very good.

GeoBC

I've read prior posts concerning this problem...It seems this was a problem taken care of under warranty then continued afterwards. It seems to me this may have been a "bad" unit. In the long run, not only did they lose a customer from this individual but I would think they have lost possible customers that have read the prior posts on another thread and now this. I would ask Thales why is it that from the time they manufacture a GPS until the time it is purchased can be well over three months how come not all units share this problem?

Let me get it straight

One have to turn unit on atleast once every 3 month, otherwise it will need a repair ?

In the first call the person with whom I spoke kept telling me that is why the unit failed. Of course I questioned this, I explained that I have other devices that are not used for long persoids, and they were fine. When I spoke with Jose Castro the other night and I pressed this issue, he now explained that if the unit is not turned on in 1 -2 months time, you will experience about a 2 hour delay ...while it gets an almanac and it should work! Yet, my first call with tech support told me that is what caused my hardware failure..go figure. He went on to tell me the board was now burnt..does not know how!?!? At this point, having spoken to all of these people, I really do not think they know what is wrong..it is just a lemon and that is it.

When I spoke with Jose Castro the other night and I pressed this issue, he now explained that if the unit is not turned on in 1 -2 months time, you will experience about a 2 hour delay ..

This sounds like Bravo Seirra, what about a GPS that may sit in stock in a store waiting to be purchased for a few months, those always seem to work just fine when they are sold.

As far as service I have always been pleased with the service I have gotten from Magellan.

As most regular posters know I was a GPS buyer for a Garmin and Magellan dealer. for several years. I have seen good customer service from both Garmin and Magellan, but there have been times when I have seen customer service that could have been better from both. I once saw Magellan replace a Meridian gold that was flooded after a customer carried submerged in a lake for most of a day which is far beyod the water proof ratting, and I have seen Garmin replace a cracked screen on a GPS after some one dropped it onto some rocks.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I've owned a lot of Garmin units and have only had two problems with two different units.

The first was covered under warranty. I got the unit (a GPSmap 162) back in less than a week. When the screen on my Vista quit working it was about 2 years old, but since I had already had a problem with a previous Garmin they repaired the Vista for free and send it back overnight. I call the repair tech to thank him and he offered to send me an accessory for free just because I bothered to thank him.

A week later I got a second mounting station for my GPSmap 162 in the mail.

It's great to be a Garmin Guy.