Which Palm Software?

I just aquired a Zire M150 Palm. I've never had a palm before but I thought it might be interesting to try going paperless. I hope to use it primarily with a Linux box but I could use it with a windows too. What software should I use? What other things should I know about palms?

Edited by Erfunden

Try CacheMate from www.smittyware.com ; I use it in my m105 and it's great. If you have a membership on geocaching.com you can run pocket queries and then import the results into cachemate, which'll give you all the info from the online cache page except pix (at least in my palm; maybe a newer one would display them. But I don't think it allows that option)

Everyone recommends GSAK too, but I haven't been able to figure out why. It isn't very user-friendly and doesn't seem to do much. IMHO.

Try CacheMate from www.smittyware.com ; I use it in my m105 and it's great. If you have a membership on geocaching.com you can run pocket queries and then import the results into cachemate, which'll give you all the info from the online cache page except pix (at least in my palm; maybe a newer one would display them. But I don't think it allows that option)

Everyone recommends GSAK too, but I haven't been able to figure out why. It isn't very user-friendly and doesn't seem to do much. IMHO.

:P

I can understand this statement because when I first downloaded GSAK, I had absolutely NO idea how a database worked.

However, little by little by little, my dense brain started to wrap itself around the concept and I've found the program to be invaluable.

I use Cachemate ($8.00) and GSAK ($20.00 after the 21-day trial period) and PQs ($3.00/mo. on GC.com) and I'm more organized than I ever could be using paper.

I have more than 500 caches in my Palm and my GPSr and whether I go 20 miles to the west, or the east, or the north, or the south, on a whim, I'm ready to go caching.

And, even when I add up what I've spent for these programs and the Premium Membership, it doesn't equal what one printer cartridge costs for my printer. :P

If you have a membership on geocaching.com you can run pocket queries and then import the results into cachemate, which'll give you all the info from the online cache page except pix (at least in my palm; maybe a newer one would display them. But I don't think it allows that option)

CacheMate doesn't currently handle displaying pictures though, if someone wanted to come up with a plugin to handle that, I certainly wouldn't object :P

The file converter for it can extract links from cache descriptions for images and other things, though, and generate an HTML file containing those. You can use that with whatever you want to use it with (Plucker, iSilo, it doesn't matter).

I hope to use it primarily with a Linux box but I could use it with a windows too.  What software should I use?

There is a version of the CacheMate file converter that will compile and run under Linux. It's a separate download, but it's there.

Edited by Maeglin

Pocket Queries currently do not transmit pictures or more than the previous 5 logs, so any app that gets that info would have to retrieve it from the web separately.

I have pocket queries set to run weekly, and GSAK goes to my Gmail account, finds the pq's and imports them at the click of a button. Since GSAK compares to PQ info to the info in its database, it addes new caches, notes disabled caches, and adds new logs. After a while, you get a very detailed log history, which, again, GSAK will export to Cachemate at the click of a button. It also loads cache info and "smart" cache names to my 60C with a single click, and with one more click, exports the caches I want to MapSource for easy display. All in all, a pretty slick set up.

I just loaded Cachemate onto my Treo 650. Its almost a shame that it works so well, since the 650 lets me browse the web from anywhere with cell phone signal. I guess I'll use that only when I need to see the pictures on the cache page.

Erfunden - I'm new to paperless also. When I first started caching, I used "Easy GPS". It did not do all I wanted and lots of people said try GSAK. The learning curve the first week or two is steep, but once you start to get it, it's real obvious it's the only way to go! I actually read through two of the LONG!, (did I say long?!!) GSAK threads and still had lots of questions. Clyde is real good about answering in the GSAK thread and there are lots of very helpful experienced users. Go for it!

Freeware Calculators

Google is your friend . . . B)

No offense, but bin there done that. Looking for something user can recommend rather than a hoge-poge of calculators.

Anyone have one they like?

I use NeoCal and really like it. If you are an RPN fan, it will do that in addition to the std = sign type of calculator. RM

That looks like a good calculator... dadgum my old Handspring Visor Palm OS 3.1. Time to jump onto Ebay. B)

Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I just saw taht they have an earleir version that will work on my OS 3.1

B)

Edited by mrking
No offense, but bin there done that. Looking for something user can recommend rather than a hoge-poge of calculators.

I use and like Calcul-8 NOTE: Researched this a little more and find I was not using the Latest and Greatest version.

A GREAT Program is even better if you have the latest release. Go to this link: Latest Version of Calcul-8

I never knew the calculator that came with my Palm was terrible . . .

I think the Palm Calculator is a Great STANDARD Calculator. But, if you need a SCIENTIFIC Calculator, it s_x.

Note: I work mostly in Degrees (as opposed to Radians or Grads), but I want those options. But I need to see the mode clearly displayed. I want to hear a click when I tap a key, and I don't want to wait all day to see a Cosine.

Try it. Freeware. No registration. Not RPN. You'll like it. Money back guarantee. B)

Edited by Cardinal Red

... doesn't seem to do much??? :huh::D:D

There isn't much that GSAK can't do IMHO :lol:

As other have said, take a bit of time to explore it, play around and things will start to fall into place.