Magellan Meridian Gold

TeamSavage

no i dont are they easy to find how much do they go for?

David

Start by visiting www.pricegrabber.com , then look for Mapsend Topo in the USA, or Mapsend DirectRoute.

You'll need an SD card reader that plugs into a USB port, on your computer. This way you can transfer info from your computer, into the SD card.

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold, a 256mb SD card, Mapsend Topo in the USA, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK), and Cachemate.

You'll have to do a search on the last programs to see what they do.

I'm not new to geocaching (duh), but I am to the Meri Gold. I have Streets and Destinations and a 56 meg SD card in the Gold.

Why can't I put blocks of more than 16 megs from S& D into the unit and why is it limited to 4 maps? At least that's what the software is telling me when I go to load it into the unit. What am I missing?

I'm not new to geocaching (duh), but I am to the Meri Gold. I have Streets and Destinations and a 56 meg SD card in the Gold.

Why can't I put blocks of more than 16 megs from S& D into the unit and why is it limited to 4 maps? At least that's what the software is telling me when I go to load it into the unit. What am I missing?

You ain't missin' nuthin'. Thats the limits of the GPSr not the computer software. For a map 16meg should be more than enough. When I lived in San Diego, I had a map of my chaching area. Roughly from Mexico to Escondido and from the Ocean to the desert. The map still didn't take up the entire 16meg.

I currently have all the Hawaiian islands loaded on my GPSr with all tourist info (gas stations, malls, "points of interest", etc) and the map isn't much larger than 4 meg.

Brian,

I'm not sure if I follow your question correctly... but I'll explain what I know.

Mapsend allows you to create a map consisting of four regions. Make sure you have the terminology correct so we're discussing the same thing. You can upload as many maps as will fit on the SD card.

The regions are limited to 16 megs each, so using all four, you can have a map of 64 megs. There is a hack to disable the 16 megs per region limit if you're interested.

Jamie

Why can't I put blocks of more than 16 megs from S& D into the unit and why is it limited to 4 maps?  At least that's what the software is telling me when I go to load it into the unit. What am I missing?

Brian,

I'm not sure if I follow your question correctly... but I'll explain what I know.

Mapsend allows you to create a map consisting of four regions. Make sure you have the terminology correct so we're discussing the same thing. You can upload as many maps as will fit on the SD card.

The regions are limited to 16 megs each, so using all four, you can have a map of 64 megs. There is a hack to disable the 16 megs per region limit if you're interested.

Jamie

That's the problem. It would only allow 4 regions of 16 megs each.

That's the problem. It would only allow 4 regions of 16 megs each.

That's a problem? I routed a trip all the way from my house in Memphis to Los Angeles and fit within the limits.

In any case, if having multiple 64-meg maps on your SD card isn't enough, you can "fix" mapsend to allow much larger regions.

See the FAQ here.

Jamie

Without the card writer you can have one large map on your unit. The writer allows you to have several large maps and switch between them.

Using the card utility area of the menu, you can save sets of waypoints. Since you can only have 500 loaded at one time, this allows you to carry around several PQs for different cities for example.

That's a problem? I routed a trip all the way from my house in Memphis to Los Angeles and fit within the limits.

Yes, for me to get every area I need into the unit I needed either 1 map much larger than 16 meg or 5-6 smaller maps.

The sections come in, from what I can tell, are square or rectangular blocks, but the areas I want (the northeast and middle Atlantic) are not square or rectangular.

Edited by briansnat
no i dont are they easy to find how much do they go for?

David

Start by visiting www.pricegrabber.com , then look for Mapsend Topo in the USA, or Mapsend DirectRoute.

You'll need an SD card reader that plugs into a USB port, on your computer. This way you can transfer info from your computer, into the SD card.

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold, a 256mb SD card, Mapsend Topo in the USA, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK), and Cachemate.

You'll have to do a search on the last programs to see what they do.

You don't need a card reader. Map Send will upload through the GPS PC cable. Very slow but it works.

If you use digital equipment (cameras, PDA, MP3 player) a multicard reader is a good investment. In any case don't get one that only reads SD cards, the cost difference between a multi card reader and a plain SD reader is minimal.

Yes, for me to get every area I need into the unit I needed either 1 map much larger than 16 meg or 5-6 smaller maps.

The sections come in, from what I can tell, are square or rectangular blocks, but the areas I want (the northeast and middle Atlantic) are not square or rectangular.

You seem to be using the software incorrectly. You can have four regions of 16 megs for a total map size of 64 megs, no modifications. The map size limit is not 16 megs as you've repeated several times.

From what I understand, the larger the mapsize you have, the slower and more prone to corruption your file gets. In addition, if you try to do a search over a 64 meg region, it's quite a bit slower than over a much smaller area.

My suggestion is to break your desired areas into portions that will fit within the 64 meg limits. If you have to upload 3 or 4 60-something meg maps, that's ok. Switching from one map to another is a matter of a few button presses.

Regarding the square/rectangular region shapes. Yeah, that's a drag... but if you're creative, you can use four regions to cover the entire area you're interested in.

Jamie

Yes, for  me to get every area I need into the unit I needed either 1 map much larger than 16 meg or 5-6 smaller maps. 

You seem to be using the software incorrectly. You can have four regions of 16 megs for a total map size of 64 megs, no modifications. The map size limit is not 16 megs as you've repeated several times.

From what I understand, the larger the mapsize you have, the slower and more prone to corruption your file gets. In addition, if you try to do a search over a 64 meg region, it's quite a bit slower than over a much smaller area.

My suggestion is to break your desired areas into portions that will fit within the 64 meg limits. If you have to upload 3 or 4 60-something meg maps, that's ok. Switching from one map to another is a matter of a few button presses.

Regarding the square/rectangular region shapes. Yeah, that's a drag... but if you're creative, you can use four regions to cover the entire area you're interested in.

Jamie

I think I have it right. I have 4 maps (regions) of just under 16 megs for a total of 60 some megs.

My problem is that the 4 map limit and the fact that I can only use rectangular regions caused me to cover areas that I'm not interested in and leave areas that I wanted to cover, uncovered.

Why can't I put blocks of more than 16 megs from S& D into the unit and why is it limited to 4 maps?  At least that's what the software is telling me when I go to load it into the unit. What am I missing?

Brian,

Jamie

all i have to say is thank you! i have been dealing with my meridian gold and my mapsend topo for sometime and the 16mb region size. the hack you mentioned works great!

See the FAQ here

You don't need a card reader. Map Send will upload through the GPS PC cable. Very slow but it works.

If you want to upload more than one map, you do. If you upload through the data cable, the new map overwrites an old one, because the software autmatically names them the same every time.

If you have a card reader, you can copy a map to the card, change the name to something that makes sense to you, then load another map. Continue until you run out of space on your card or have all the maps you need.

Yes, for  me to get every area I need into the unit I needed either 1 map much larger than 16 meg or 5-6 smaller maps. 

Jamie

I think I have it right. I have 4 maps (regions) of just under 16 megs for a total of 60 some megs.

My problem is that the 4 map limit and the fact that I can only use rectangular regions caused me to cover areas that I'm not interested in and leave areas that I wanted to cover, uncovered.

not familiar with that map package. The TOPO US allows 30mb regions and I think up to 4 (or 6) per map (there is probably a total map size kimit too). The Direct Route package allows only 1 region, but up to 64mb and that can be hacked. You can place as many map files on your SD card as will fit and the Meridians don't care, you just have to switch maps when you want a different one, a few clicks is all that is required. To get multiple maps on the SD card requires renaming the file on your HD and using a card reader to write the file to the card.