Mapsource 6.6 Beta Released

Garmin has released MapSource 6.6 beta. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=877

I've installed it and used it a bit since yesterday without any issues. Map rendering/zooming/moving seems to be snappier too.

Below is the list of adds/changes/fixes in this beta:

* Added route road and area avoidances. To access avoidances, select "Manage Route Avoidances" on the Routing tab of the preferences dialog. Once avoidances are created, they are displayed on the main map if appropriate for the current map product.

* Added new "large" 24x24 pixel waypoint and map symbols. Select these symbols on the Display tab of the preferences dialog. Custom waypoint symbols can now be 24x24 and 32-bit color as well.

* Added the ability to show or hide the left hand (user data) pane.

* Added tooltips to the waypoint symbol selector with the name of the waypoint type.

* Added celestial information dialog.

* Added schema extension to GPX for handling Garmin-specific data elements, such as waypoint depth. The location of the schema is documented in outputted GPX files.

* Added ability to manually set the Y-axis endpoints on vertical profile plots.

* Added "rest area" find subcategory.

* Added artificial reef and oil rig map symbols.

* Removed real-time tracking from MapSource. Use nRoute for PC real-time tracking applications.

* Removed reading/importing of PCX5 files.

* Made several map rendering performance improvements.

* Improved algorithm for selecting maps around tracks and routes.

* Improved error handling while transferring data to removable media and Garmin cards.

* Changed MapSource to use Windows XP styles on PC's that support this.

* Changed the track vertical profile to use the same graphing style as the route vertical profile.

* Change to not display find category types that aren't valid for a particular map product.

* Change to optimize deleting multiple waypoints from a route.

* Change to reduce flickering of pop-ups on the map.

* Change to validate trackpoint timestamps before they are sent to a unit.

* Change to make user and non-user waypoint dialogs have consistent "Show on Map" behavior.

* Changed waypoint symbol images to remove duplicate symbols.

* Change to more gracefully handle the case where a user transferring maps to a Palm doesn't have enough hard drive space.

* Changed behavior of toolbar combo boxes to behave more like standard combo boxes.

* Change to show stacked pop-up windows over densely packed map features.

* Changed behavior of some BlueChart map features to display the name instead of depth.

* Change so that GPX route import doesn't always autoname the route.

* Changed formatting of Japanese address results.

* Changed the default "Terrain Shading" option on the preferences display page to be on.

* Changed vertical profile windows so that they remember their last size and position.

* Changed string "iQue" in Device dialog to "Palm OS Device".

* Fixed problem drawing selected subsections of tracks on the map.

* Fixed problem associated with having Worldmap 3.02 and many newer products installed at the same time.

* Fixed problem on the find places dialog with the reset button not properly clearing fields.

* Fixed properties for some features not correctly showing their category and subcategory.

* Fixed import of GPX files to handle prefixed names.

* Fixed parsing of custom waypoint symbol image names to only allow numeric names, such as "003.bmp".

* Fixed error with selecting maps around routes or tracks with only one point.

* Fixed problem with some XML files using a large amount of memory to import.

* Fixed problem where sometimes columns in the track dialog list control were improperly hidden.

* Fixed problem with partial string searching in the name field of the find places dialog.

* Fixed find results with elevation information in the name to use the proper units.

* Fixed error related to renaming a route while looking at the driving directions.

* Fixed problem with slow UI response while hovering over some areas with the map tool.

* Fixed problems related to saving user data on Garmin cards.

* Fixed problem in route dialog with multiple selections being ignored when "Center map on selected item" option is checked.

* Fixed errors during map rendering.

* Fixed error while zooming in to a found city.

* Fixed problem in the find places dialog with displaying a street name with an "&" character in the name.

* Fixed route speed preferences to set Autobahn speeds to the highest speed category.

* Fixed error with find places dialog field auto-completion in some Asian languages.

* Fixed problem with the route dialog's insert waypoint dialog having odd initial selections.

I recently purchased City Select v6 to use with my 60cs. I haven't had a chance to try the auto routing features yet. Could someone explain what nRoute is and is it something I need to download or purchase? Not sure what the difference is between real time tracking and nRoute. B)

Thanks

Edited by Doug in Alaska
I noticed that the Map Data version is now 6.01.... does that mean they updated some roads???? :)

Mapsource is JUST the program if you're referring to "Map Data" some place. All map data is in the product you would buy (City Select, City Navigator, Topo, etc). When this MapSource program updates, it's just the PC program that is modified and nothing at all to do with the data.

At the momet you can not mark blocked roads in nRoute, and Mapsource can not send information of blocked route to the GPS, so I would like to have tracking in Mapsource.

What is then the reason of marking blocked roads in Mapsource.

What I wold like that Mapsource conncet to internett and collect new and updated information of blocked roads, so that we can share this information.

And the possebility to send this information to the GPS so that when you create route, it avoids the blocked roads.

So am I correct in assuming since I use City Select with a 60cs, and nRoute is for a laptop and receiver , the fact that Garmin has removed real time tracking, doesn't effect me?

That's correct. If you don't need your PC to act as a GPS mapping program, you won't miss the functionality that was removed.

At the momet you can not mark blocked roads in nRoute, and Mapsource can not send information of blocked route to the GPS, so I would like to have tracking in Mapsource.

I agree you make a good point. What is the usefulness of being able to block roads or sections of roads if you cannot upload that information into your unit, or allow your unit to follow the track you have created? The only thing you can really do with it is print the directions. :unsure:

What is the usefulness of being able to block roads or sections of roads if you cannot upload that information into your unit, or allow your unit to follow the track you have created? The only thing you can really do with it is print the directions.

I haven't downloaded the new version yet, but that capability should work fine in my eMap and other non-autorouting models where you create the route with MapSource on your PC (including the effects of any blocked roads) and then download it to the GPS.

I'd expect them to later extend the same 'blocked road' capability to nRoute and hopefully to autorouting GPS models as well.

Garmin has released MapSource 6.6 beta. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=877

I've installed it and used it a bit since yesterday without any issues. Map rendering/zooming/moving seems to be snappier too.

Below is the list of adds/changes/fixes in this beta:

* Added route road and area avoidances. To access avoidances, select "Manage Route Avoidances" on the Routing tab of the preferences dialog. Once avoidances are created, they are displayed on the main map if appropriate for the current map product.

* Added new "large" 24x24 pixel waypoint and map symbols. Select these symbols on the Display tab of the preferences dialog. Custom waypoint symbols can now be 24x24 and 32-bit color as well.

* Added the ability to show or hide the left hand (user data) pane.

* Added tooltips to the waypoint symbol selector with the name of the waypoint type.

* Added celestial information dialog.

* Added schema extension to GPX for handling Garmin-specific data elements, such as waypoint depth. The location of the schema is documented in outputted GPX files.

* Added ability to manually set the Y-axis endpoints on vertical profile plots.

* Added "rest area" find subcategory.

* Added artificial reef and oil rig map symbols.

* Removed real-time tracking from MapSource. Use nRoute for PC real-time tracking applications.

* Made several map rendering performance improvements.

* Improved algorithm for selecting maps around tracks and routes.

* Improved error handling while transferring data to removable media and Garmin cards.

* Changed MapSource to use Windows XP styles on PC's that support this.

* Changed the track vertical profile to use the same graphing style as the route vertical profile.

* Change to not display find category types that aren't valid for a particular map product.

* Change to optimize deleting multiple waypoints from a route.

* Change to reduce flickering of pop-ups on the map.

* Change to validate trackpoint timestamps before they are sent to a unit.

* Change to make user and non-user waypoint dialogs have consistent "Show on Map" behavior.

* Changed waypoint symbol images to remove duplicate symbols.

* Change to more gracefully handle the case where a user transferring maps to a Palm doesn't have enough hard drive space.

* Changed behavior of toolbar combo boxes to behave more like standard combo boxes.

* Change to show stacked pop-up windows over densely packed map features.

* Changed behavior of some BlueChart map features to display the name instead of depth.

* Change so that GPX route import doesn't always autoname the route.

* Changed formatting of Japanese address results.

* Changed the default "Terrain Shading" option on the preferences display page to be on.

* Changed vertical profile windows so that they remember their last size and position.

* Changed string "iQue" in Device dialog to "Palm OS Device".

* Fixed problem drawing selected subsections of tracks on the map.

* Fixed problem associated with having Worldmap 3.02 and many newer products installed at the same time.

* Fixed problem on the find places dialog with the reset button not properly clearing fields.

* Fixed properties for some features not correctly showing their category and subcategory.

* Fixed import of GPX files to handle prefixed names.

* Fixed parsing of custom waypoint symbol image names to only allow numeric names, such as "003.bmp".

* Fixed error with selecting maps around routes or tracks with only one point.

* Fixed problem with some XML files using a large amount of memory to import.

* Fixed problem where sometimes columns in the track dialog list control were improperly hidden.

* Fixed problem with partial string searching in the name field of the find places dialog.

* Fixed find results with elevation information in the name to use the proper units.

* Fixed error related to renaming a route while looking at the driving directions.

* Fixed problem with slow UI response while hovering over some areas with the map tool.

* Fixed problems related to saving user data on Garmin cards.

* Fixed problem in route dialog with multiple selections being ignored when "Center map on selected item" option is checked.

* Fixed errors during map rendering.

* Fixed error while zooming in to a found city.

* Fixed problem in the find places dialog with displaying a street name with an "&" character in the name.

* Fixed route speed preferences to set Autobahn speeds to the highest speed category.

* Fixed error with find places dialog field auto-completion in some Asian languages.

* Fixed problem with the route dialog's insert waypoint dialog having odd initial selections.

I like the ability to avoid either roads or areas entirely in auto-routing...

Also, I can now "find" a street without needing a valid address (i.e., Main Street as opposed to 1001 Main Street)

Much improved....

Removing the ability to handle PCX5 files is indeed a bad step in my opinion. I create tracklog files externally and import them via this capability. I really don't understand Garmin's rationale. Either (a) there are very few users of this functionality, so why bother removing it, or (:D there are lots of users of this functionality, so why remove it?

I'm sure there are other solutions, but why make us go search for it? I sent Garmin an email; perhaps some others with an interest in retaining this will also.

Bad for...

they are closing even more the possibility to interact with third party prgs.

There are 3rd party programs (and free programs) which can do that so I don't think anyone will be left in the dark. They are also supporting GPX and more robustly (is that a word?) in this release.

Removing the ability to handle PCX5 files is indeed a bad step in my opinion. I create tracklog files externally and import them via this capability. I really don't understand Garmin's rationale. Either (a) there are very few users of this functionality, so why bother removing it, or (:D there are lots of users of this functionality, so why remove it?

I'm sure there are other solutions, but why make us go search for it? I sent Garmin an email; perhaps some others with an interest in retaining this will also.

PCX5 is last century technology. It can't for example, even support 10 character waypoint names. They've got to hit the flush handle at some point.

There will still be conversion programs out there, so your track data isn't lost.

It's tracks only I'm concerned about, so the waypoint limitation of 10 characters is not an issue. I also am not concerned about the loss of existing tracks. My primary usage is creating track log files externally, and then importing them into Mapsource. If I could easily find another way to manually create track log points in Mapsource, and convert them into an actual track, I would do it.

What are the free 3rd party programs I can use to do this?

It's tracks only I'm concerned about, so the waypoint limitation of 10 characters is not an issue. I also am not concerned about the loss of existing tracks. My primary usage is creating track log files externally, and then importing them into Mapsource. If I could easily find another way to manually create track log points in Mapsource, and convert them into an actual track, I would do it.

What are the free 3rd party programs I can use to do this?

Look at G7ToWin.

Yes, G7toWIN is good. Another one I like for creating tracklogs is USAPhotomaps ( http://jdmcox.com ) since it lets you see the USGS topo maps and/or aerial photos when you place the trackpoints. I've used it for creating tracklogs of trails and minor streams that didn't show up on the Garmin maps.

Edited by peter