Geocaching And Metal Detecting

My wife has said for years that she would like a metal detector. I have a GPS and have been doing some caching with it. My son and daughter and I go out usually in warmer weather and find some of the local ones. I was wondering if any of you also use a metal detector and if you have combined the two?

Wow, that's a terrific idea, I am also interested in the answer. What a great way to provide cover! Of course, I can imagine that in some situations it may not be appropriate.

As I think of it, I could see the two things being used in conjunction with each other, planning a day of metal detecting and geocaching at a local park or something.

Geocaches normally are not burried so using a metal detector to look for a cache would not work...  However, we had a DNF last Saturday and I decided I'd return with my metal detector. I'll let you know if it works. Funny that you now posted the topic. :laughing:

NOt saying that I would necessarily use the metal detector to locate a cache but maybe on the walk in or out and around just to see what I might find.

One of the reasons I got into geocaching was because I noticed some information about the hobby on a metal detecting forum.

Seems like with the regulations being set up in certain areas that a lot of the fun is being sucked out of the metal detecting hobby. Sure, you can use them on a public beach or in many public parks, but beyond those areas things can get pretty fuzzy. It's now recommended to get *signed* permission from a landowner to conduct searches on provate property, and the wording on some of the example documents is getting to the point that you need a law degree to feel like you can understand them. Seems like a few irresponsible people have managed to adversely affect the carefree nature of the hobby.

I began using metal detectors well over twenty years ago and have seen the hobby evolve over that time. The hobby is now banned in certain areas and is questioned in others. Kinda sound familiar?

Be careful where you decide to pull out a detector as a cover for a cache hunt, or to help in your hunt. At the Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield park you can be arrested for having a detector in your car, even if it's disassembled and in the trunk. They are very serious about not disturbing the archaeological history of the area.

I can see from the length of my resonse that I've gotten on my soap box. I'll step down before I get worked up to a full rant. B) Don't let my comments steer you away from getting and using a detector, but be aware of any regulations that may affect how or where you can use them.

S-4-C

Edited by Strapped-4-Cache

We use a metal detector but only for winter caching. If you look at our account page, there's a pic of us hiking thru' the snow to a cache and carrying the detector...oh yeah we also carry along snow shovels to dig the caches out! There can easily be 6 ft. snowdrifts here in the winter. It's only used for winter caching though, seems like it would be somehow "cheating" otherwise.

Metal detectors come in very handy if you are out hunting Benchmarks, which is a whole other game . . . :laughing:

BINGO! :unsure:

We are currently awaiting the arrival of a new Bounty Hunter metal detector that my wife ordered so I could use it to help hunt for benchmarks. (Dang copper-sheathed metal rods that get buried.)