Travel Bug Goals

JohnnyVegas

I have noticed that with the travel bugs I own that have goals, it would appear the no one reads the goals. I have placed the tags on the bugs that I do not want thme placed in caches that are rated at a 4 or 5 for terreain (I do not want them stuck there) but that is were one of them is now, I have another one that has a goal of only going to event caches, of course it is not in and event cache now.

Often the goals are not read until it is too late. Did you have instructions attached to the bugs, or just online? Not everyone is up to date on the latest logs and cache pages, and may get to a cache and find the bug there unexpectedly. So they take it, and then find out the goal. The higher the expectations, the greater the disappointment. When you are dealing with humans, no two are alike, so I really can't answer this question with any clarity.

Often the goals are not read until it is too late. Did you have instructions attached to the bugs, or just online? Not everyone is up to date on the latest logs and cache pages, and may get to a cache and find the bug there unexpectedly. So they take it, and then find out the goal. The higher the expectations, the greater the disappointment. When you are dealing with humans, no two are alike, so I really can't answer this question with any clarity.

Yes, I placed lamited cards with instructions on them

Part of the problem is that alot of people just don't bother putting the "Direction" tags on their TB's.. Of all the ones I've ever seen or moved, only 1 actually had a "goal" tag.

I think that this has alot to do with why alot of newbies are picking up TB's and either keeping them, or not logging them directly - they don't understand how they work, and tend to treat them like any other trading item.

With a proper tag attached, the fact that "This is not any ordinary trading item!" is first and foremost. Unfortunately alot of people fail to properly prepare their tag before setting it loose - they just put a goal on the website (Some goals being very narrow), and drop it in a cache somewhere.

Admittedly, I've got a TB in my possession right now that I picked up before reading up on the rather narrow goal, as there was no directive tag attached - just the TB tag.. I emailed the owner (Another local cacher) and asked him if he'd like me to return it to the cache I found it in, or try to help it move around a little, as several others had passed it over already due to it's tough goal.

Anyhow, people need to start better prepping their TB's before release...

I have on occasion, grabbed a TB as I was passing through an area. They didn't have their goal attached to them so I couldnt read their destination until after I got to a computer. Because of this, I have moved TB's way out of their way hurting their objective in the process.

JonnyVegas... I can feel your pain.

I have a TB (clearly marked with goals) that is in a race. Three months ago it was nabbed and put in a cache way up in the sticks somewhere with a terrian of 4.5 stars. ish..... I think I've already lost the race.

I am tempted to e-mail the person that owns the cache (the same person who put the TB in the cache) and ask him to move it along....but alas that is against our race rules..

oh well.

Even if they don't have a goal attached to them, people should be able to read the on-line goals before dropping them off. Cuz it's where they go that's key!

Some cachers when travelling will grab bugs out of the local bug hotel as they are passing through. They may be 1000 miles away before getting to a computer.

Some cachers when travelling will grab bugs out of the local bug hotel as they are passing through. They may be 1000 miles away before getting to a computer.

I always head out Caching with my HipTop, and as such, I'm able to surf the Geocaching.com site while enroute anywhere there's cell service.

Usually I log my finds as I'm backtracking through the trails.

It's handy in that I can often avoid situations like these.. If I come across a TB without a goal sheet, I can just pop to the TB's page and read up. Admittedly I do still occasionally mess up if I'm in a rush and grab a TB in haste, but it certainly helps.

But I'll tell you, when I stroll outside the service area while caching (As I did yesterday), I suffer from an awful feeling of disconnection from the world.. <grin>

For anyone who doesn't know what a HipTop is.. Clicky clicky!

http://www.danger.com/downloads/one-hand-hiptop_72dpi.jpg

Next to a GPS, it's my "most coveted" Geocaching accessory. :unsure:

Well its difficult for some to get the TB to where you want it to go. Thats why I think that Groundspeak should make available the option of having an extra Dog tag made with the TB's mission printed on it so people can understand right away if they can move the TB along or whether they should just leave it for others who are more able to do so.

Jerseytrex

Well, if it'll help your perspective at all, I generally ignore bugs that have a bunch of rules attached to them.

• Don't hold me more than [X amount of time]
  • Don't log me in and out of multiple caches
  • Don't move me more than 100 miles at a time
  • Don't leave me in cemetery caches

I don't pick it up.

What I will do is move a bug if it has a stated goal, such as "This bug is going to New York," or "This bug wants to see amusement parks" which I can help.

Several bugs I've found have tags attached with a list of picky requirements. I don't bother with those bugs. Other people, it seems take the bugs anyway and ignore the requirements.

I don't want to tell you how to direct your bugs, but perhaps you should be less restrictive. State a goal on the tag, and enjoy the travel.

Jamie

Yes, if the bug has a clearly stated goal ATTACHED TO THE BUG ITSELF I pay attention to them.

Put a bug out without a goal tag, and I'll find out when I get home with it, if I can help it or not. If I can GREAT. If not.....well, it should have a goal tag if the owner's THAT concerned about the goal.

Personally, I'd be happy if mine would just reappear and start traveling again....anywhere....

I've found that bug owners aren't always strict about their bugs' goals. I picked one up in California while on a short business trip. It didn't have the goal attached to it, so I figured it just wanted to travel around. I was heading to Northern Ireland the following week, and was accumulating some bugs to take along.

That night, when I got to the hotel to log in my day's adventures, I discovered that the bug wanted to go to - I think - Michigan (I don't remember, but it was that area of the US). When I posted the bug's log I mentioned that I was heading to Ireland, but didn't want to take it so far from its goal. So I was going to drop it off near Harrisburg, PA, where I live.

A couple of days later - fortunately, before I left on my trip - the bug's owner said that he'd be thrilled if I dropped it off across the Atlantic, in spite of the published goal. So I did.

Interestingly, on the same trip to California I had picked up another bug that wanted to go to Kentucky. It was a horse that wanted to see the Kentucky Derby. So I posted a similar note for that bug, saying that I'd drop it off in Pennsylvania so it could get to its goal. I also got a note from that bug's owner, saying that it would be OK for the horse to go to Ireland. Unfortunately, by the time I got the note I was already over there and the TB was at home. The real bummer is that it was the week of the Irish Sweepstakes, which I'm sure the horse (well, its owner) would have enjoyed.

I started a bug of my own in a cache in Belfast. My ideal goal was to have it return to Pennsylvania if possible, but more importantly to just travel around. I realized that it would take a miracle for me to see it again, but it would be really cool if it happened. I made it clear on the laminated note that, although I wanted it to get back to me, any finders shouldn't worry about moving it in the wrong direction. Any travel was good travel

The first Irish person that found it asked me if she should put it in a TB hotel near the Dublin airport, since she'd be nearby. Alternatively, she offered to put it in a rural cache elsewhere in Ireland. I thanked her for asking, and asked her to put it in the rural one. Yes, near an international airport, it may have gotten back to me. But how much fun would that be? If it travels to a few countries and disappears, I'll be happy for the adventures along the way.