Georgia Style

:anibad:

I figured you would like that one. It is a cache series that started in GA and is spreading around as people copy the hiding style. As with many caches, you need to do one first and then you will understand it.

That's a lot of the fun of geocaching -- learning about some of the styles of hiding. For example, light pole caches. Most are on or near light poles in some way. After you do a few you know the style until someone throws you a curve, like say Ventura Kids did to me on a tough adaptation of theirs.

Some folks got lulled into thinking I would hide caches near or inside of hollow logs when I first started hiding. I put one up in a tree to throw them off. Now most of mine are quite -- let's say -- "varied". :ph34r:

Right Mtn-Man, we have WE4NCS locally who has a propensity for hiding micros in Holly trees - when one hunts his caches, the first target is the nearest Holly tree.

Then he went and put one on the ground by a stump, newbies got it quickly but it took me more than a single trip for this one & it was all my fault for having preconceived ideas of where to look. Sometimes, experience can slow your progress but it is all fun!

We live way in the country, so far, all my seaches has been very rural. This is my 1st experience with urban caches. That said, mtn man, you never did (I think on purpose) :ph34r: suggest what you think a "Georgia Style" cache is. Any more hints you can provide? This is a "I don't know what I don't know" situation :anibad:

Many thanks - it's a pleasure to learn from you very experienced and expert folks!

:anibad:

I figured you would like that one.  It is a cache series that started in GA and is spreading around as people copy the hiding style.  As with many caches, you need to do one first and then you will understand it.

I found one in Florida that was described as hidden Georgia style and I'm still not sure what it means. It *was* "decorated" in an interesting way. :ph34r:

NevaP

OK... corrections to posts previosly appearing.

Georgia style= Pine needles.

Off your Rocker= 1st one in Titusville, FLORIDA!

Here's a little list of cache types, as compiled by a few people....

Florida style: hidden under a palmetto branch

Georgia style: under pine needles

Arizona-style: Rock-pile.

Idaho -style: rockpiles or under sagebrush

Southern NewMexico, style: In the middle of a cactus patch

Great Plains style Tall Grass Prairie 6 foot tall grass.

South Dakota Central and East, style under a cedar/juniper tree

Phoenix style: Altoid containers.

Chicago style pill bottles

Illinois style stickpile---hole in tree ----root ball of a fallen tree

In Nebraska style a field of corn....

Brevard county style covered in camo tape

Indiana style - in the hole in a Sycamore tree

North Carolina style - in the roots of a fallen tree

StressMaster Style.... Heavy on the camo and seldom the same.

Paintfiction style... think proctology

Federation Style- Highh Impact High Visibility

China Style = under a rock in a pile of rocks..

New York Style - Urban: ? Suburban/Rural: Under the pine leaves or a fallen tree

Palatka style ..... micro cosisting of mag business card attached to small ziplock baggie covered with appropriate colored duct tape (a true palatka micro uses camo duct tape, Daytona modified palatka uses technicolor variety.)

Daytona style... as close to throngs of people as humanly possible (sort of a cross between Fed style with Palatka micros; stealth is useless

Part of the caching experience is the discovery. I personally don't like hints. I would not give any on a cache but would leave that to the cache owner. That is why I did not tell you. For me, I don't want hint nor do I even read the description most of the time. I want as much of a challenge as possible. Knowing what "GA Style" pretty much is, I can spot some caches from 100 feet away. But, there was that first one that I went to and searched around for quite a while to find it.

Of course, I hid some like that at the beginning too. hehe. :anibad:

Not many caches around Savannah are hidden under pine needles. Certainly not enough for that style of hide to have its own nom de plume. If anything, around here the norm is either under some palmetto fronds or suspended a bit over the flood plain. And there is always the Pile of Parallel Sticks. I think that's nationwide.

Maybe they mean Southwest Georgia. Or maybe they're just making things up as they go along. Isn't Maine the Pine Tree state?

Edited by Team Teuton

Geez! Do you go to the movies and yell out the ending and ruin that for everyone, too? You better not come out west and start giving away hints like that or you'd find yourself stuffed into an ammo can :ph34r:

I'm with mtn-man. The less hints the better.

You missed a few:

D.C. style - under the crack pipe

New Jersey style - under 10 lanes of asphalt

New Jersey style (if in Pine Barrens) - under dead body dumped there

Delaware style - under chemicals from Dupont plant

Baltimore style (moving caches) - in women's big hair (don't assume to be micro)

Baltimore style - pink flamingo stuck in ground marks the spot

I am sure there are others.

:ph34r:

Edited by GrizzlyJohn

Geez! Do you go to the movies and yell out the ending and ruin that for everyone, too? You better not come out west and start giving away hints like that or you'd find yourself stuffed into an ammo can :D

I was thinking that this list was tongue in cheek and not giving anything away. After all anybody who has cached in Florida quickly learns to look under the plametto fronds.

Whatever, the "Georgia Style" cache I found in Florida did have a pine needles on it but I had to look at a photo to remember that. What I noticed was the other object covering it :ph34r: and I assumed that was what was meant by Georgia style. My apologies to Georgians if I'm wrong.

NevaP, who looks at the hints when in a hurry or totaly bamboozled :lol:

Geez! Do you go to the movies and yell out the ending and ruin that for everyone, too? You better not come out west and start giving away hints like that or you'd find yourself stuffed into an ammo can :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact... my wife hates me when I do that.... even when I'm seeing the movie for the first time! These styles are available in many forums.... and on cache sites as well. However... as has been stated, Hidden GA style doesn't necessarily mean its in pine needles.... just like not quite all of Paintfiction's hides involve reaching into the backside of.... well, I'm heading a bit off the subject here.

I never said anything about the person who PM'd the answer for the question to the user that asked. I don't see where anyone did.

I have an issue with the post giving away the farm on cache hiding styles throughout the world, including naming certain cachers by name and giving away their hiding styles. (Using Lil Devil's anology...) To me that is akin to someone asking about one part of a movie trailer and asking them what that one scene was about and the person answering them and basically laying out an entire character study for each person in the film complete with plot lines and telling them the final twist that ends the movie.

I see your point Mtn-Man but M&DofKJE is also correct that its already out there.

Maybe he could have posted a warning like: ** Spoilers Below **

That is the only way I can think of to let someone know they may see something that they may not want to see if they would rather discover it themselves.