Using a Palm/PDA?

ossian223

Hello!

We are interested in getting started, but not quite sure about what GPS unit might be best... I have a Palm Tungsten T PDA, and SOCKET Communications has just come out with a Bluetooth GPS unit, basically meaning I could pack the GPS in a backpack and it would wirelessly talk to my PDA... HOWEVER I'm quite leary of actually romping through the woods with my Palm... I've heard the horror stories of destroying PDA's just by carring them in your pocket on a normal day. On the other hand I'd love to use the Bluetooth unit especially when driving, and the Palm has such a beautiful color screen LOL....

So I'm wondering anyone else out there using a Palm??? Or should I go for a more rugged and affordable standalone unit?

Thanks for your input!

Adam

I've used the Palm/Magellan Companion combination for a few hunts. It seems quite stable and sensitive -- but it is fragile, and it doesn't offer the convenience and features you'd get using a "real" GPS with your Palm.

No need to restart the discussion of which GPS is best. Most of them will do a fine job -- but don't expect any of them to lead you right to every cache. Just doesn't happen that way very often. That's what makes the game fun.

My Palm VII goes everywhere with me. I have a zippered neoprene case for it, but the poor thing has been dropped and stuffed in my purse and so forth -- as long as you don't sit on them or step on them, they are pretty durable.

I did drop my Magellan GPS on the sidewalk the other day (tripped because I was watching the GPS and not the sidewalk), but it survived just fine.

Come to think of it, I've dropped about everything except the laptop. At any rate, they're making them sturdy these days. I wouldn't worry about the Palm (put it in one of those nice cases and that'll help protect from shock)

I have an iPaq 3955 and this thing came with a great protective case. So I toss it in the rig with me and don't worry about my screen. It rides in the pocket and everywhere else. However it does not get carried about like my GPS. Dropping it in a creek (which has happend with my cell phone) would not be good for it. The GPS has been dropped in rocks, planted in snow and other things I'd never consider with the PDA.

Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. More or less. Now if I could only find a cell phone holster that doesn't let branches knock the phones out into the creek...

Wherever you go there you are.

If you need a case to protect your PDA while geocaching try otterbox.com. I just saw a review of their product in Pen Computing and it looks perfect for geocaching. Water proof, floats, you can stand on it and not hurt your PDA. Haven't purchased one yet but just might. They cost $50.

mjmchase.jpg

all done with a palm GPS add-on. No they are not rugged, but then I'm aware of that. If I'm walking somewhere that requires two hands, the GPS goes in my pocket. Nobody here can tell you they don't care if they drop their GPSr. I agree a stand alone GPS is more rugged, but accidents happen with either one and with either one you can't act like a moron and expect it to last.

We use the Navman add-on for the palm and yes, the large colour screen rocks!

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I don't use my palm as a gps because I know that I would damage it. A few weeks ago, I was walking to a cache site when I stumbled. I wasn't in an area that would require excessive care, I just tripped. My 3+ was in my right hand at the time. When I fell, I landed on my hands and knees, GPSr still in my right hand. My weight smashed my 3+ into the hard ground. No damage was done to the unit. If I had my m505 in my hand, it would have been toast.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

My son & I already are well stocked with GPSr-s. But I'd like to get him a PDA that could be connected to the GPSr and provide moving color maps when in the car.

Autorouting and turn by turn instructions would be nice. icon_biggrin.gif

We could do autorouting on the home PC and then download the route to the GPSr.

I'm looking at the Dell Axim PDA. Seems to be a great value.

Will I be able to cable the GPSr to the AXIM?

Will the Axim be able to use mapping software that has already been developed for other PDA's? icon_confused.gif

If I go down this road, what software packages ($$$ or free) do you suggest I get for:

mapping

waypoint management

autorouting

Thanks for your advice. icon_smile.gif

Faster, Better, Cheaper

Pick any two.

My pda is a Dell Axim, and I love it. Its the best bang for the buck (IMO). You can buy a serial cable and hook it to a GPS and it should work just fine. I WAS going to do that and buy a yellow etrex, but at the last second I bought a legend. Great choice for me. As soon as I get the Garmin Metroguide maps I will be set, but inreality it already does what I want...Turn by Turn autorouting via Delorme Street Atlas. I really dont want to combine the two anymore. I am going to use my Axim for pocket queries, but it is going to stay in the car when I cache..Sure I digressed, but oh well. At least I didnt buy a cf gps like I was considering!