Computer Lock Up

I don't know specifically about the caches you're referring to, but I'd assume that they maybe use some special html coding on their site, maybe music or lots of moving images? Something that takes long to load could possibly doing it.

Trying loading it on a fast computer (maybe at your local library) and see what happens...

I assume you're referring to Team Troglodyte's Caches since that is the closest username. In peeking at a few of them, I noticed that the cache pages include background sound files. Many geocachers dislike sounds on cache pages, including those with dial-up connections, those who enjoy listening to their own music while surfing, and those who are surfing in a quiet environment like a library or office.

Some cache listings cause my computer to lock up when I click on them, especially "Troglodytes" caches. Anyone have any idea why??

What browser do you use? That could be part of it, but it could also be the way they formatted the HTML. If the code is not standard, that could cause the problem . . . along with the music files, as KA mentioned.

Which particular cache is it? I'll see what it does to my old computer and myOpera browser.

They have quite a few caches . . . which one/ones specifically causes your computer to lock up?

EDIT: Okay, I went to this one and it had "Secret Agent Man" music playing. :laughing:

I have an old Pentium III 600 mHz computer with Opera as my browser and it didn't cause my computer to lock up. :laughing:

Edited by idiosyncratic

No the plan is to have you go spend $4000.00 dollars for a new PC just so you can geocache, LOL. Just joking but it is the sound files and I would guess you using a dialup as I have no problem, cable and home and T1 at work. I dont know any way you can disable the loading of the sound file. Maybe if you try the WAP site not sure if you can access it over a PC. Jeremy can you?????

cheers

Hey, cexshun. Thank you! I'm using IE here at work, where I "sometimes" :( look at cache pages and am always startled when a sound file starts playing. I can never quite get to the little "x" in the corner fast enough. I never knew I could disable that option entirely.

Woohoo! I've learned something new today; can I go home now? :rolleyes:

Rochelle of Car54

zcubed, I (the IT guy) convinced my boss to switch the entire office over to firefox. I now get 70% less calls about spyware.

I work for the State government (IT also) and I think it won't ever happen here. I guess it is job security for me. :(

You made the right decision, but you already know that. :rolleyes:

. . . Just joking but it is the sound files and I would guess you using a dialup as I have no problem, cable and home and T1 at work. . . .

Just a little, FYI, I have a really slow dialup connection and an old, slow computer, but with the Opera browser, the page, and sound worked fine. :rolleyes: