How Often To Check

t-maxxer

Depends on the area you live in, how well you hid the cache, integrity of the cache (is it a flimsy tupperware or an ammo can), does your area get hit with big snow or rain storms.

I live in Michigan. Unless I get an e-mail or a cache log that says the cache needs maintenance I check on all of my caches every 3-4 months. I generally won't go check on my caches unless there is a couple of DNF's or someone says the cache is in bad shape or is 99% sure the cache is missing. It's different for all people and places!

The above advice is fine if there in no Permit Mandated maintenance requirement. Depending on where you are planning to place your Cache, this could be the deciding factor.

This is an excerpt from an example Permit:

H. Geocache must be checked at least every 30 days. Proof of check will be by e-mail, letter, or personal communication by the geocache owner with the office.

A Link to the full Example Permit:

Example Of Permit Mandated And Verified Maintenance Frequency

As others have said it depends on the cache (location, size, type of container, number of times it is visited, quality of cachers that visit it etc) I have one cache in a local park that I have to restock after about 14 visitors. My most frequently visited cache has never required restocking. I check on it about every 2 months and only replaced a log book and tossed in new signature items. Two more caches have been out since August 04 and have never needed anything. Other ammo cans in the woods can go months or until someone reports there is a problem.

On my first few hides I enjoyed going out and reading the log books every few weeks and learned how much maintenance each needed. Now I check on caches when I am in the area. I had 4 new caches stolen in November/December so those caches and everyone else's caches in Shawnee National Forest have been getting a lot of my attention, over 100 caches have been stolen in Shawnee NF in the past 18 months.

So Place the cache check on it as often as it fun for you and you will get an idea of the type of maintenance it needs.

Happy Caching

GEO.JOE

I'd say once a month is overkill. I try to get to my caches at least once a year.

Some I get to more than others. More important than a regular maintenance schedule is to respond promptly to reported problems. We've all seen caches that have 5 or 6 DNFs in a row after nothing but Found Its, or caches that have had complaints about wet logbooks and cracked containers for months. That's what you want to avoid. As long as you get out there within a few days of a reported problem you're doing your job as a cache owner.

Ok from the sounds of it I could go as long as I want between check ups as long as no reports have been made about it being damaged. Thanks all for your help.

Of course checking is never a bad thing. It is good to go back after a few months to make sure there is no impact on the area and to re hide the cache the way you originally placed it. They tend to move.

My urban caches get checked about every 45 to 60 days, depending on the number of finds. Some of them in the hills about every two years since they get so little traffic and I have other places to hike.

And if you have a virtual its good to check out the location about every two months just incase a monument gets moved or something of that order.

The other reason to check periodically is because, although people should trade up, some people trade down (take a nice item, leave a set of plastic silverware - real example). People may not mention in their logs if your cache is OK but there are no decent trade items because it's no big deal for a lot of finders, but it can be disappointing for kids if it's going to be a kid friendly cache.

I check mine by the next weekend if a problem is reported, after two consecutive DNF's, or every six months, unless it's a high traffic cache, when I check it based on the number of finds (to restock contents as needed).

When you make a mainenance run, bring along spare pencils, a spare log book, something to dry things out if necessary, zip-lock bags and some additional trade items to restock. As people have said, if you use a sturdier container (e.g. ammo box or decon container) you'll do a lot less maintenance!

It depends. Is it a micro or is it a full cache? Is it found frequently or does it go long periods of time between finders?

If you have a micro that's found often, you don't need to revisit until someone logs and says the log book is full or something like that.

If it's a full sized cache, it depends on the logging... Are there a couple DNFs? Has it been more than a month or two since it was last found? Probably best to go check it. Is it found once every week or so? Then you probably don't need to check it as much.

I check mine when there are problems or they haven't been found for a while.

One more thing.

If you're hiding it where there's a permit involved, definately read the permit.. I know someone touched on this above, but I"m expanding - there's almost always a line on there that says to check it every so often - most of the time it's not to see if the container is there, but to make sure a geo trail isn't forming to the cache site.

I placed my first cache the other day. So far I've been paranoid about it and I checked it every time I went by until it had a few logs saying it was there. Nowadays I check on it about once a week simply because it's convenient and due to the difficulty and muggle-factor of the area. While it seems overkill, it's got two college campuses full of students who walk by it each day and if a geocachers ninja skills arn't so hot, it could easilly be observed and subsequently muggled *knocking on wood*.

So far though, it seems to be harder then I thought... :(

I'd say you don't really need to check them unless someone posts a note indicating that maintenance is necessary (wet, replace logbook or container) or it's a cache that has a good chance of being stolen ("muggled").

I have a cache that's hidden in plain sight, visible from the street. I like to make sure that finders replace it "just so" to make sure it blends in. It's about two blocks out of the way on my route to and from home. Once or twice a week I'll drive by just to check on it.

If you're in an area that gets snow, it might not be a bad idea to check it when the seasons change.