becoming a member

usmcski

I became a member not for the added features, but because I think this is a great site and I get a lot more than $30 worth of use and pleasure out of Geocaching. Yes, I could still use the site if I did not become a member, but I see where a lot of people put a lot of time and money into making this a great site and I feel I should pay a part back for its use.

Team Rand

Originally, I became a paying member to support the site, and help keep it going.

Then I discovered Pocket Queries. Whoo Hoo.

I get updates a couple of times a week, and they easily upload to my GPS, plus I never print cache pages any more. They are in my Palm device.

Two reasons to pay.

I've not seen a members only cache around here. I don't see that as a reason to pay.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I think that one of the reasons for creating the members-only option was because some areas were experiencing cache vandalism by non-geocachers. This way only paid members get to see the coords. Unfortunately that includes non-member cachers so that is why you don't see too many around.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

I think that one of the reasons for creating the members-only option was because some areas were experiencing cache vandalism by non-geocachers.

Cheers, Olar

As I've stated before, MOC are worthless IMO. They can't prevent a cache from being stumbled upon. And if someone is really out to get your caches, forcing them to pay three bucks for info, probly won't deter them.

If your thinking of becoming a premium member just so you can find some MOCs, Don't, you will probly be disappointed. They comprize only a small percentage of all caches, and have no special requirements for placement.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I've yet to use a member feature (except for the ability to change the caption under the avatar).

I joined because I thought the webite deserved my support. Running a site like this costs a good bit of money. It's a well designed site, that provides a great service and best of all, without those annoying pop-up ads.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Originally, I became a paying member to support the site, and help keep it going.

Then I discovered Pocket Queries. Whoo Hoo.

I get updates a couple of times a week, and they easily upload to my GPS, plus I never print cache pages any more. They are in my Palm device.

Same here, I am a paying member to only one site and this is it. Very few sites are as nice as this and it is worth the few dollars it costs.

If they resort to pop-up ads as a way to raise money then I will probably drop the membership, but as long as the site is not annoying to use then I will stay as a paying member.

Pocket Queries are user customized searches that can be set up to look for any kind of cache you desire. If you want to find all micros in your area, for instance. Or search for caches you haven't found, while excluding those you have. The data is sent to your E-mail address, and can be opened with the free easy gps program. With that program, you send the data to your gps, and save yourself hours of research. You print up the page of the cache you want to hunt, and the waypoint is already in your GPSr!

I initially became a member out of curiosity over MOC's, but there are none close to my area. I actually placed an MOC, but eventually declassified it for lack of visits. The only really fun feature of moc's is the audit log, which allows you to see when a cacher visits your cache page. Since making the cache public, I have missed that feature. Anyway, I signed up for a year, because I knew that MOC's or not, this is a great site, and I didn't want the hassle of renewing every month. If you're not sure, you can sign up for a month at a time, (only about three bucks if I remember) less than you pay for a super size value meal! icon_biggrin.gif

"I'm not moving my car 'till you get my food right!"

I became a member because I use the site and I want to support it. I have not yet used the PQ and may not. Bottom line is that this site is a good site and basically, all geocachers should support it. Where else would you be getting your cach information and all the cool "test" threads icon_biggrin.gif

With man, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible!