Designing a cache, any advice/opinions?

sea_dragon

I'm in the process of designing a cache with a bit of a twist, and was hoping to get some opinions before I move forward at full steam. Basicly what I'm thinking is that it would be a multi-cache, where the coords are on a TB that would open the cache, say a key or the like.

The TB would have to be repalced the same day, and would have to stay in the general area, maybe within x amount of miles from the cache, etc.

Like I said above, I'd like to know what people think, so feel free to sound off.

Thanks, I appriciate the help.

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese...

I think there's a couple of these types of puzzles in the San Jose area if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like this between Santa Cruz and Monterey. My only thought on this type of puzzle is to make sure you make copies of the key for the inevitable day that the TB disapears.

I'll look forward to seeing it soon icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Thanks for weighing in! I'd figured that I'd have to keep a copy of the key/coords, but releasing multiples is a good idea.

Touchstone, do you know which SJ area caches are like this? I'd like to check them out and see what the posts have said.

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

sea_dragon:

There's one cache similar to what you have described located in the Atlanta area. If my memory is correct, the cache is named George's Treasure and the TB is named The Key To George's Treasure. The cache/TB combination has had a successul run according to the logs, and so far people have (mostly) followed the rules for the TB.

HTH,

- Mark (S-4-C)

I KNOW I'll find it if I just keep LOOKING!

Instead of a key on the TB, put the real cache coordinates on the TB. A finder would have to go to another local cache, retrieve the bug, and copy the coordinates to your cache. They then place the bug into yet another local cache and the process repeats itself for the next geocacher.

Hopefully some smartass won't take your bug to Hawaii or something...

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

The travel bug idea is not a great one. People don't pay attention to TB instructions. For example, I just found a bug in a cache that came from Germany. It was one of a series and had partial cooridnates for a cache (in Germany). The idea was that you have to find all the bugs to get the complete coordinates. But the important thing was that the bugs were supposed to stay in Germany.

Then what was it doing in New Jersey? Some clueless geocacher brought it here, despite the laminated instructions attached to it asking that it not leave Germany.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

Touchstone, do you know which SJ area caches are like this? I'd like to check them out and see what the posts have said.

Sorry, but no. I've done a search and can't seem to come up with anything. I think it falls under the heresay category.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Well thank you all for your advice, opinions, and links to similar caches. I'm thinking that this may be something that is definitly possible. Now just to find a place to locate the cache. icon_wink.gif This may take awhile, so feel free to keep sounding off, all imput is greatly appriciated.

HDF: Thanks for the compliment!

There's tons of room out in Fort Ord. The BLM seems to have a pretty relaxed view of geocaching and there's endless possibilities for hides. Just try and steer clear of the poison oak (no easy task BTW). BLM is having a controlled burn this Friday (10/24) so you may want to avoid the area for a couple of days until the smoke clears.

If you want something closer in, Jack's Peak has about four caches in it, but there's still room for more.

Up Carmel Valley is Garland Ranch which has a few possibilities.

Of course, along the coast is lots of sandy dunes to bury something (not too deep though - like Good Friday Cache) and lots of ice plant to cover stuff up with.

Looking forward to seeing the cache out. Who knows, maybe I can beat jpp to the FTF. icon_biggrin.gif Ha, Ha, Ha, I crack myself up sometimes.