Kitsap County Caches

Fledermaus

This is a blatant advertisement to entice King, Pierce and other nearby county residents to visit Port Orchard, Bremerton, Silverdale & Poulsbo, all of which are over here in Kitsap County, the "Outback" of Puget Sound. It's a short 30 minute ferry ride from Seattle and about a 30 minute drive from Tacoma.

We have more caches than you can shake a stick at, including two "Cache Farms" that will keep you busy for at least day or more. Just go to the GC.COM's Keyword Search routine and enter "Howe Farm" and/or "Schold Farm" for more information.

Howe Farm is located in Port Orchard and has 7 caches and Schold Farm is located in Silverdale and also has 7 caches. These caches vary from levels of very easy to very hard. Some of them will tax your thinking skills, while others will tax your strength and endurance. If you complete all those caches, there's probably another 100 or more to find throughout Kitsap County of all kinds, sizes, difficulties and terrain.

Bring your dog, bring your kids, bring the whole family, bring a lunch and make it a picnic, but most of all, get there and start geocaching!

Edited by Fledermaus

As a resident of Port Orchard, I can attest to the numbers; one of my PQ's shows all caches within 10 miles of home and has yet to go below 500, even though I've found upwards of 100 of them.

Howe Farm is a nice place to be, let alone cache. Haven't been up to Schold yet either.

Quanity doesn't usually equate to quality. Frankly, I've recommended to people that they not take time to do the Bremerton caches. I once had some time to kill in Bremerton so tried caching and quickly grew bored of it.

But that's just my opinion. I did like many of the Cemetery Quest and Mosquito Fleet caches though.

If I'd been attesting to quality, I would've said "quality" instead of "numbers." :rolleyes: I'm still relatively new to this and wouldn't presume to judge the quality of caches in the area, at least not publicly. I certainly have my own opinions about some of the caches I've done in Kitsap county, but I'm not sharing until I've placed a few myself and dealt with the issues that arise in that end of the game.

That said, there's some great ones around here; you mention the Cemetery Quest ones, which are great fun; there's many others in the same well-designed vein.

Quanity doesn't usually equate to quality. Frankly, I've recommended to people that they not take time to do the Bremerton caches. I once had some time to kill in Bremerton so tried caching and quickly grew bored of it.

I'd say it's like every other urban area I've cached from Bremerton to Sioux Falls, to Raleigh-Durham: A few great caches, some very good caches, and lots of run-of-the-mill.

But a day of run-of-the-mill caches is better than a day at work.

What Bull Moose said. My favorite cache of all time was a birdhouse behind this house on the alleyway.

Was that the one in Longview? Did that one on a run to Portland and back on business. Hit it on the return, still only missed FTF by an hour or so!

Yes, that comment was for Stump. Actually there are very nice caches in Longview. Dick, W7WT

Thanks, Dick. The alley cache got hit by a truck when our alley was regraded. I think the new container is better but one of our neighbors doesn't think it's nearly as cool.

And like has been said here Bremerton's caches aren't all that different from other urban areas. I was just responding to the advertisement. If you want to bring people to your area improve the quality of caches.

But I am looking forward to the upcoming Bremerton cache machine. I missed the first one and there are a lot of great cache machine type caches there.

Edited by Stump

I recently went to Kitsap county to do one cache and did three in one day. My first find of the day took me 2-1/2 hours. If you get bored with caching try doing a night cache during broad daylight. On my second cache of the day I met a fellow cacher in the parking lot. Someone who I hadn't met since I hadn't done a lot of caching in Kitsap county. We looked together and logged our finds after about 20 minutes. Jim got an FTF after several other well known cachers had DNF'd the cache. The last find of the day was suggested by Jim and we again did it together. It took about 20 seconds. It was very rewarding after the two previous caches, especially the first one.

How would I rate these 3 caches?

Cache 1: I was very rewarded by achieving a long time dream of finding a night cache during the day. Very gratifying.

Cache 2: It was wonderful meeting a fellow cacher. I look forward to running into Jim again as I go back to Kitsap for more caching. Jim's second trip to this cache.

Cache 3: This was Jim's second trip to the site. It was fun figuring it out before I even got out of the car and watching Jim's jaw drop.

Bottomline: Like I tell my kids "fun" is an attitude. So is "quality". I have had sat and while eating low quality food "pizza" while visiting with old and new cachers all while having a wonderful time. If it is possible cache with a friend. That way you have fun no matter what the "quality" of a cache is.

ONE NOTE OF WARNING: This post from Fledermaus might be devious in deed. :o He has some really difficult caches out there. Don't be fooled by his kind invitation. He is only taunting you. If you don't think so see how many DNF's he has on caches he has hidden. If you find you are bored with caches, see how many Fledermaus caches you can do in one day without a DNF.

Well said. For a Fledermaus cache that's pretty demonstrative of his body of work, try Seganku/Seecawk Cache. Great puzzle, and then once solved it still took me upwards of 3 hours to find the very devious hide.

I can think of one aspect which distinguishes caches in Kitsap county (and the chunk of Pierce on this side of the bridge), and that's the over-abundance of night caches, of which there is a higher concentration than in any other area I know. If you start at sunset, you won't be done by sunrise. Actually, I have plans of spending a night that way, sometime.

I am compiling a Bookmark List of Puget Sound night caches (not just those on the West Side of the Sound). If I missed something, let me know.

Actually, I have plans of spending a night that way, sometime.

I'd like to do that, too.I have several night caches close to my house that I still need to do.

Maybe we should organize a Night of the Night Caches event. People will follow their own itinerary, and bump into each other on the trails. We'd then have a joint breakfast before dispersing (or do some day-caching for desert [:lol:])

Maybe we should organize a Night of the Night Caches event. People will follow their own itinerary, and bump into each other on the trails. We'd then have a joint breakfast before dispersing (or do some day-caching for desert [:lol:])

Hmm... Good idea. I'm going to peruse my calender

This is a CHALLENGE TO STUMP and anyone else who feels that caches in Kitsap County are either run-of-the-mill or of low in quality!

Quanity is not and has never been an issue, but I would like to point out that Kitsap County is rich in it's variety of cache formats, which may rival just about any other area in which I have cached in recent times.

In order to consider the challenge met, you must find at least 5 or more of the 10 caches listed below. All DNFs must also be posted as well.

The following caches are listed in alphabetical order and not by difficulty. However, one of the caches will allow you to have at least one easy find, since "Orange Ribbons" don't grow on trees.

01. 3 x 3 Puzzle Cache/GCN0DC - (Math. Skills) - E. Bremerton

02. Bataan Park/GC19DC - (Quick & Easy) - E. Bremerton

03. Blue Meanie/GC5A0B - (Online Mayan Study) - Wildcat Lake/Seabeck

04. East Bremerton Micro-Park Tour/GCJ06Z - (Run-Around & Clues) - E. Bremerton

05. Enchanted Forest/GCJAAM - (Run-Around & Clues) - Silverdale

06. Fahrenheit 451-I/GCHMHW - (Online Egyptian Study) - E. Bremerton

07. Getting High On Geocaching/GCGA5H - (1.5 Mile Round-Trip) - W. Bremerton

08. K.I.S.S. My Cache 5/GCHW1C - (Easy Site/Hard Find) - Silverdale

09. Schold Farm - Revenge!/GCGNBC - (Projection Skills) - Silverdale

10. Seganku/Seecawk Cache/GCN6Q5 - (Math. Skills) - W. Bremerton

I won't subject you to my real difficult caches, such as:

--- K.I.S.S. My Cache 10 and Howe Farm Cache V ---

Since they require visits to multiple caches within a series.

All claims of success must be posted within this forum for all to see.

Don't send E-Mails to me, unless you are desperately begging for a hint/clue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Happy Gillmore for the flowers! Someday I hope to meet you in person.

BTW, if any of you have plans to be on the Bremerton Cache Machine II, I'll be there, but maybe watching from a distance, until an opportune moment arrises.

/\**/\ FLEDERMAUS /\**/\

Edited by Fledermaus

You do put out some interesting caches, Fledermaus.

Someday I will finish the Enchanted Forest. I also look forward to being home one day when the smaller library branches are actually open so I can finish the "451" series.

And the Howe Farm V container is still defines the best large cache container I've ever seen.

01. 3 x 3 Puzzle Cache/GCN0DC - (Math. Skills) - E. Bremerton

02. Bataan Park/GC19DC - (Quick & Easy) - E. Bremerton

03. Blue Meanie/GC5A0B - (Online Mayan Study) - Wildcat Lake/Seabeck

04. East Bremerton Micro-Park Tour/GCJ06Z - (Run-Around & Clues) - E. Bremerton

05. Enchanted Forest/GCJAAM - (Run-Around & Clues) - Silverdale

06. Fahrenheit 451-I/GCHMHW - (Online Egyptian Study) - E. Bremerton

07. Getting High On Geocaching/GCGA5H - (1.5 Mile Round-Trip) - W. Bremerton

08. K.I.S.S. My Cache 5/GCHW1C - (Easy Site/Hard Find) - Silverdale

09. Schold Farm - Revenge!/GCGNBC - (Projection Skills) - Silverdale

10. Seganku/Seecawk Cache/GCN6Q5 - (Math. Skills) - W. Bremerton

I won't subject you to my real difficult caches, such as:

--- K.I.S.S. My Cache 10 and Howe Farm Cache V ---

Since they require visits to multiple caches within a series.

All claims of success must be posted within this forum for all to see.

/\**/\ FLEDERMAUS /\**/\

Well, we can attest to some of the difficulty in these caches. The only one we haven't found yet is #10 Seganku/Seecawk - but we are currently working on it. Some of these we found pretty quickly, but some of them required multiple visits and a lot of work (some blood donation on a couple too). ;)

The caches in this area are similar to caches in other areas, some are hard, some are easy, some require a lot of homework, some are just for the numbers (but whose counting anyway?). The kids just enjoy being outdoors - and we enjoy being with our kids. Isn't that what caching is all about anyways - having fun?