Cobra 1000 Dlx

I can pick up a Cobra 1000 DLX with mapping software, brand new for $149. Is this a decent deal for geocaching. Currently we are using a very old Eagle Expedition II, no mapping capability, crude graphics etc.

We want a mapping capable one, and this comes with the software, albeit I have heard it is not the best, but I hear there are workarounds for that.

Please valid criticism only, not just the "Brand X Sucks" type of stuff, tell me why it sucks if it does. Also if possible lets stick to the 1000, I know that the 500 is generally disliked, unless it is relevant to the 1000 as well.

Thanks very much

Fire Dragons

About all I can offer you is that Cobra sucks!  :ph34r:

Then you should have kept your offer since they asked people not give that type.

Kenneth

Now why'd ya have to go and say something like that for?

B) I guess you didn't read beyond the line you quoted, because if you did, you would've noticed that I did in fact give more than that. Ah, but I know there are a few people out there that only read one or two lines in a message and then go shooting off their mouth. I've done it a few times myself when I was new. In time, you might learn to read an entire message before spewing garbage. <_<

Until then, let me offer you a piping hot cup of S.T.F.U.! :ph34r:

Edited by Neo_Geo

Cobra's generally get poor reviews from people who use them and post in these forums. Have a look at some of the replies in this post to give you some idea of the hit-or-miss quality of a Cobra.

Cobra Quality?

And to reiterate what others have said, 99% of us here use Garmins or Magellans so you can count on better info, better customer service, and a much larger user base. GPSr's are the only thing these two companies sell.

I got mine at Circuit City last week for $150 including the maps. I've loved it. I played with a couple of Magellans over the past year and loved them too. I didn't have a ton of money to spend and wanted street mapping. I got that in this package and so far the accuracy has been quite good. I've been right on top of two of the three I've found and within 10 feet of the other. Great GPS for the money.

It's not the sexiest, but it's working for me -- even more so now that I found the $70 rebate and tossed that in the mail. All this for $80? Awesome GPS for THAT money.

I got mine at Circuit City last week for $150

man, i thought $199 at Fry's Electronics was a good deal for the 1000DLX, since list price was $299.

(boxing GPS back up for return and gonna check out Circuit City!)

The things I don't like about it so far are the tiny coordinate numbers and the dim screen...but I think it will be tolerable as a first GPS for the price, since it comes with the software and cable and memory card..

It's not the sexiest, but it's working for me -- even more so now that I found the $70 rebate and tossed that in the mail. All this for $80? Awesome GPS for THAT money.

Yeah, can't argue there. I don't know of any street level mapping software for the other brands that you could get that cheap. :( I wouldn't buy it personally, but I could see that it might be a compelling choice for someone at that price.

--Marky

You asked for opinions on the Cobra 1000 ONLY? Well you won't get many opinions then because they probably only sold 5 - 10 units total. Customer feedback on the 1000, 500, and 100 is so BAD they are giving them away just to be rid of them.

I bought the 100 as my first GPS and had to take it back to Circuit City three (3) times and still never got one that would work. Finally had to buy a Garmin at twice the price (but it's 4X the better unit).

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. :(

As I commented in another thread, judging only by the reputation in the forums, if Garmin and Magellan are the Lexus and Infinity of GPSrs, Cobra seems to be the Yugo. I'm sure that there were many happy Yugo owners that had good luck with their very inexpensive cars, but their reputation for reliability was certainly not stellar. But hey, if it gets you from point A to point B, and there is a cache at point B, then great.

Happy caching!

Have been using the Cobra 1000 for a couple of weeks now. I have never used a GPS, so have nothing to compare it to. It seems very accurate, takes me to the spot I want to be, and if the cache is not hidden to well, I will find it. (not GPS fault if I cant) In the car, it tracked the roads I was on just fine, and if I was going 60, it said 60. All in all, I am happy for what I got for the price!

Well I bought it for $80 after MIR and I am quite happy with it. Yes I can't download waypoints into it (yet) and have to enter them manually, oh well. It gets me to the cache, it tracks well, the display is big, and it was $80 after mail in rebate, and it includes maps and a 32Mb SD card.

Now if I can just find the protocol they use to download waypoints.