A Kick In The Goolies

Not a big fan of the micro myself, and I tend to avoid them, BUT

"Grandma's Buttons" at Penmaenmawr, North Wales, deserves a special mention here for the ingenuity, location and swaps. Its given us an interesting break in our journey a couple of times, and its one of the few caches where my old mum doesn't have to get her creaking limbs out of the car to take part.

What is really annoying with micros is to go looking for a cache having missed the fact it's a micro on the cache sheet. Spent some time looking for a box once only to find it was a film canister. Our fault of course, we should read the sheet.

I quite enjoy micros: but there has to be a reason for it being a micro rather than a traditional-size container. We still need places where a good-sized log book can be found and travel bugs placed.

However, there's at least as much satisfaction in overcoming the challenge of a well-hidden micro as a well-hidden traditional, and it opens up possibilities for more imaginative hiding places (and containers). Have a look at the ones I found this weekend to see some examples (why can't we also see DNF's in the search results list, though, as there are a couple of good ones I didn't succeed on?).

This is in addition to the obvious benefit of being able to hide them in places where a larger container would be too much in danger, or would cause a nuisance.

It's good when I go to a new area on a caching trip and find a variety of cache sizes and types, so let's have more puzzles, micros, traditionals, multis - in fact a bit of everything (except virtuals which I find rather unsatisfying).

HH

I'd like to see micros under there own classification

They are: as a container size. Which is correct as that's what it is.

I don't think it's reliable enough to exclude micros from a pocket query.

In what way? If the cache is properly classified then the PQ wil include/exclude it as you choose. And if it's not properly classified then a mail to the owner or, as a last resort, a reviewer, will fix it.

I'm afraid I don't see the point of this thread. If you don't like micros, don't look for them. It's that simple.

Alan

I actually like micros

but that is just me

Everybody comes to caching from differtnt backgrounds and for different purposes

and they set caches from that so for example Im a diabetic who needs the excercise and who doesnt drive. I like history, puzzles and maths so my finds and the caches I set reflect that

Others are gadget freaks, some are into the numbers some compete for FTF s others look for trig points B)

I enjoy the sport, hobby obsession whatever it is but I do find at times cachers can be self absorbed, superior types who think they know best

Comments like

Surprised you missed that hiding place (i.e. I know better than you)

We were going to put a cache there but we were worried about the fishermen (I.e you didn't research it very well)

Etc etc

really annoy me because I DO KNOW BEST :mad::(

Anyway see you all on the 23rd April

Bob

I'd like to see micros under there own classification (in the same way as virtual/multicaches).

Yeah, I'm with that definitely - would make life a lot easier.

You could use GSAK to filter out micros if you don't want to do them.

Or for your chosen mapping prog - use GSAK to change the icons you export to produce an icon that you can immediately recognise as a micro.

This all depends on the cache being correctly classified of course B)

I started setting micros purely on the grounds of cost. Things really are that tight, nearly 18 months of part time work means plenty of home-made soup and lasagne! The micros each contain a pencil and a logbook. One contains some miniature trades. I then looked at it from the point of view of a youngster who would be pleased with their find, but there would be no reward for them at the end. I decided not to hide any more. From an adults perspective there aren’t many bad views in Shetland so my advice is just to walk to the top of any hill.

Its the same old discussion. You like them or you don't. I do others do, Others don't.

Its a cache.

I normaly go out on my own or with my dog. If I go for Micros where Tupper boxes could not go, such as in the Royal parks of London, (Tuppers have been placed but they do not last long) then it is for me a nice cycle ride to add to the enjoyment of finding Micro caches

If and when they go AWOL. They are easily and cheaply replaced.

Finaly I would add, that they are harder to find than tuppers.

Surely it's the variety that'll keep the sport alive!

I like out of the way sites which merit bigger boxes - other placements are different! So what's the problem?

Agreed--and I have done some micros that I really enjoyed.

My objection to "lame micros" is more to the "lame" than to the "micro." In any kind of cache, it's the thought and effort that went into it that makes it worthwhile.

Micros have endless possibilities for clever hides--particularly in urban settings. For an outstanding example, see this cache, and be sure to read the rave reviews that finders put in their logs.

a cache is a cach the game to me is geting folk out to places they would never usualy go (or a darn good reasen to escape the wife for a hour or so ) the swops to me are erelevent as it is the achevement of finding that cache and logging it ...... if there is room to sign your name and see who was there before you then it has done its job.................... Long live the micro

My objection to "lame micros" is more to the "lame" than to the "micro."  In any kind of cache, it's the thought and effort that went into it that makes it worthwhile. 

I agree. Micros can be great. I like the cache continer being the appropriate size for the location. If there is somewhere where an ammo box can be hidden without fear of being muggled, excellent. If a film can, or even a nano-cache is more appropriate, then that's good too.

If there is no room for a cache container of any sort, then using a good location for part of a multi is a good thing.

If that can't be done, then a virtual would be great! :lol:

Badly executed caches are disappointing whatever size they are.. :blink:

Sarah