Sax Man's Northwest Tour

Team GPSaxophone

Let's start off page 2 with a new trip plan:

Summer05mapRevised.jpg

Saturday June 18th: Leave work and head to Cheyenne, WY

Sunday June 19th: Head across Wyoming towards Yellowstone National Park

Monday June 20th: Sightseeing at Yellowstone

Tuesday June 21st: Drive to Missoula, MT (visit Jennifer and Dean, among others)

Wednesday June 22nd: Drive to Wenatchee, WA (Visit Ambrosia)

Thursday June 23rd: Drive the highly recommended North Cascades Highway and end up in Vancouver, BC

Friday June 24th: Cache with nudecacher in Vancouver, then head to Seattle, WA

Saturday June 25th: Caching in the Seattle area (Caching in Kilts with Criminal, Squarebear, and others?)

Sunday June 26th: Drive to Portland, OR (visit my cousins, and some local cachers)

Monday June 27th: Drive towards Boise, ID

Tuesday June 28th: Drive towards Salt Lake City, UT (visit the wife's cousins)

Wednesday June 29th: Drive to Grand Junction, CO (visit McMurdo)

Thursday June 30th: Return Home to Colorado Springs, CO

Friday July 1st through Tuesday July 5th: Sax Man's Campout in Woodland Park, CO

Why the changes from the previous plan?

• After several vehicle problems on our Great Plains Tour (March '05), we realized we need to plan in some extra time. Since we don't have extra time, we had to shorten the trip.
  • We also found that we can drive 60-65 comfortably with the trailer and that the best route isn't always the Interstate Highways.
  • This trip plan puts us at no more than about 6 hours of distance driving* in a single day, so we'll have more time for caching and unexpected delays during the trip.

Sorry we won't be able to visit the cachers in NorCal this year. We'll have to try that on a different trip. Maybe SoCal, NorCal, Reno?

* Distance driving is what it takes to get from stop to stop on the trip, as opposed to the other driving we'll be doing to go off route for caching

I'm hoping that that might work out for me. We may be leaving to Missouri on the 23th, but I must say that there is a possibility that it may be on the 22? If we take a really early flight on the 23, we would be heading to Seattly the eve of 22. Not really sure yet, we'll have to see.

I'm hoping that that might work out for me. We may be leaving to Missouri on the 23th, but I must say that there is a possibility that it may be on the 22? If we take a really early flight on the 23, we would be heading to Seattly the eve of 22. Not really sure yet, we'll have to see.

I knew it...you don't want me to stop by :huh:

You didn't like the other trip plan either

I'm hoping that that might work out for me.  We may be leaving to Missouri on the 23th, but I must say that there is a possibility that it may be on the 22?  If we take a really early flight on the 23, we would be heading to Seattly the eve of 22.  Not really sure yet, we'll have to see.

I knew it...you don't want me to stop by ;)

You didn't like the other trip plan either

:P:huh:

It looks like we'll be leading you by a day on part of your trip. My family's taking a two week road trip from Tacoma to Boise / Vegas / Phoenix / San Diego and up the coast back home, and we'll be leaving the day you arrive in Seattle.

On June 27, I'd recommend you hit The Pipeline* in Hood River, between Portland and Boise. We'll be there on the 25th. If you weren't so pressed for time, I'd also recommend you take the route we're planning on, through the town of Fossil, through the breathtaking John Day fossil beds, and through the town of John Day, but that'd add a few hours to your trip.

Oh - and my Canadian customs story. I went to Point Roberts (quite the geographical anomoly) for a few hours to get some caches before the Vancouver Cache Machine pre-event dinner. On the way back through customs into Canada, the customs agent didn't even look at my ID. Other cachers who'd done the same thing said that he'd asked them "you're part of that group of geocachers, aren't you."

Edited by travisl
If you wanted to snag Nevada on your way through, drop South from Twin Falls, Idaho to Wells, Nevada on Highway 93.

This will put you onto Interstate 80 where you can head back to Salt Lake City.

Adds something like 80 miles and a couple hours.

Actually, we've already cached in Nevada. Take a look at the southern end of the state. B)

So, in light of the 1000 sax trip, are you still going to do this trip? :huh:

I'm not sure. I've already made some plans to visit some of the Washington cachers (that will be home instead of making up some story about a trip they had planned that just happened to coincide with the day I would be near Wenatchee :huh: )

where was I?

Oh yeah, we've already made some plans to be in Seattle and Vancouver so I'd hate to miss out on it, but it might just be cheaper if I fly and leave the wife and kids at home instead of driving for 2 weeks and risk having the truck break down again. :unsure:

In other words: I don't know yet

So, in light of the 1000 sax trip, are you still going to do this trip?  ;)

I'm not sure. I've already made some plans to visit some of the Washington cachers (that will be home instead of making up some story about a trip they had planned that just happened to coincide with the day I would be near Wenatchee ;) )

where was I?

Oh yeah, we've already made some plans to be in Seattle and Vancouver so I'd hate to miss out on it, but it might just be cheaper if I fly and leave the wife and kids at home instead of driving for 2 weeks and risk having the truck break down again. :ph34r:

Well, keep us updated!

-J

Due to some problems on our Great Plains trip this past week, we've stepped back into reality. Looks like we're going to revamp this trip to be a little less ambitious. I'll post more about it later, but I don't think we'll be doing the I-5 portion of it. in fact, we'll probably skip California all together, since we have finds there already.

Rats...

I live just off I-5 in Orland, CA... was gonna have ya swing by for a soda and a cache or two

Ed

The Badge & The Butterfly

So, in light of the 1000 sax trip, are you still going to do this trip?  :P

I'm not sure. I've already made some plans to visit some of the Washington cachers (that will be home instead of making up some story about a trip they had planned that just happened to coincide with the day I would be near Wenatchee :D )

where was I?

Oh yeah, we've already made some plans to be in Seattle and Vancouver so I'd hate to miss out on it, but it might just be cheaper if I fly and leave the wife and kids at home instead of driving for 2 weeks and risk having the truck break down again. :D

Well, keep us updated!

-J

It's not looking good for either driving or flying to the Northwest this summer. We'll probably try and visit at a later date when we can spend more time there.

Then I guess the NW is going to have to visit you! Blooming Idiot (my wife) and I are leaving tomorrow heading towards you. We'll be hitting Mingo in one week, then a couple of days in Colorado Springs before heading south. Sorry your trip didn't work out.

Excellent! Let me know which days you will be in Colorado Springs and we'll try and meet up! :o

It's not looking good for either driving or flying to the Northwest this summer. We'll probably try and visit at a later date when we can spend more time there.

I knew it! :antenna:

And you got me all twisted up about what dates I'd be here, and all. :santa:

:o

Edited by Ambrosia

Well that's too bad, but we know how complicated big trips are. You'll just have to live vicariously through our logs on the northwest caches for now. We'll watch for another attempt at a later date.

Nudecacher