Cabela's In Pa

Katydid & Miles Stone

On a recent road trip we stopped for a couple of quick caches, and ended up finding Cabela's, an outdoor, outfitter store, in Hamburg, PA. What an awesome place!!! I couldn't believe it. It's not just an outfitters...they have everything imaginable, and then some. Huge place, we could've stayed much longer but had to get home. It contains a mini aquarium, and many, many "real" stuffed animals (not sure what to call it...taxidermy displays?) of various species of animals, everything from snow leopards to an elephant. These wildlife displays are of the animals depicted in their habitat. Very cool.

We ended up buying 3 ammo boxes for $5.99 each, and a couple of other small items, but I'm sure we would've found more goodies had we had more time. Anyway, great place for geocaching supplies, just be prepared to spend some time!

katydid

Edited by Katydid & Miles Stone

Geocachers in the Pittsburgh/Weirton/Washington/Morgantown area have also been blessed by the recent arrival of a Cabela's store. It has its own exit off of Interstate 70 just over the PA/WV state line. Even better, there is a Travel Bug Hotel Cache hidden there, WITH PERMISSION, in an area well past the parking lots. That way, you can hunt the cache without feeling any compulsion at all to stop in the store, look around, and spend $200 on geocaching supplies.

Yeah, right. ;);):tired:

It contains a mini aquarium, and many, many "real" stuffed animals (not sure what to call it...taxidermy displays?) of various species of animals, everything from snow leopards to an elephant.  These wildlife displays are of the animals depicted in their habitat.  Very cool. 

I wouldn't consider the aquarium "mini". It makes my 100 gallon aquarium at home look like a "ultra" micro cache. ;)

Next time your there, drive a short ways down route 61 and do the Fishermans Lure Cache. Its a really cool trail to explore. If you have to skip doing the parking lot micros all around Cabelas to have time for this one...I highly recommend it.

Salvelinus

My husband took our travel trailer to a campground near Washington, PA, as he had a conference to attend there the next day. He learned of the new Cabela's and drove over to check on it. He purchased a lovely pair of warm winter gloves there which he proceeded to lose the next week. Serves him right for visiting that place without me! ;)

Just found this info on the Cabela's website... new store is supposed to be in the Meadowlands Complex...

for their announcement click here.

The 175,000-square-foot store could open in Spring, 2007, with construction scheduled to begin in Spring, 2006.

I can't wait! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile... maybe a caching trip to Hamburg, Pa. is in order?

It'll be like me in West Marine... Candy Store for the over the 1/2 century club members...

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Salvelinus @ Mar 1 2005, 02:48 PM

Next time your there, drive a short ways down route 61 and do the Fishermans Lure Cache.

Did anyone else catch the episode of A Great Day Outdoors on Berks Community Television (BCTV) last week. This is a Berks County Pennsylvania Cable Network dedicated to local programming, and staffed by volunteers.

They visited the:

Fishermans Lure

They left a few Fishing related trade items and signed the Log Book, but have not logged the visit on the GC web site. When you read the Log Book, look for an entry signed by Roger, Bob, and Dave. Judging from the logs they were reading off of a copy of the Cache Page, they were there the last Quarter of 2004.

They also were walking on Railroad Tracks, but still ...........

Their web site makes no metion of the Geocaching episode at this point, but they might in the future. They do advertise that tapes are available if you can identify an episode that interests you.

A Great Day Outdoors TV Show Link

I drive by Cabela's all the time, so I got elected to lead the road trip from work one day... Let me tell you, don't go in there with three avid hunter/fishermen unless you have about 5 hours to spare! It IS definitely a cool place, though, for anyone into outdoor activities of any kind.

Looks like I drive by the parking for Fisherman's Lure, too.... hmmm...