Crappy Cache Locations

On a side not Walmart caches are great. Ever go to a town you have never been before and stay the night? I did once and I forgot my toothbrush. I wish there had been a walmart cache in that town so I didn't have to drive around in circles trying to find one. I could have pulled it right up and gotten a toothbrush and a cache. Then I could have took a picture and sent it to Renegade for his collection of urban decay. :rolleyes::grin:

Why stop there? I bet you could fit 2 or 3 caches into that parking lot. And what about the interstate on the way to that new city. I bet you could place a cache at every mile marker along the way. Imagine the number of caches you could get then. Maybe if you get right on it, YOU can hide a series like this in your area. Ya, then you get to raise your hide numbers as well. Everybody in your area will love you for these "gifts".

--RuffRidr

On a side not Walmart caches are great.  Ever go to a town you have never been before and stay the night?  I did once and I forgot my toothbrush.  I wish there had been a walmart cache in that town so I didn't have to drive around in circles trying to find one.  I could have pulled it right up and gotten a toothbrush and a cache.  Then I could have took a picture and sent it to Renegade for his collection of urban decay. :rolleyes:  :grin:

Why stop there? I bet you could fit 2 or 3 caches into that parking lot. And what about the interstate on the way to that new city. I bet you could place a cache at every mile marker along the way. Imagine the number of caches you could get then. Maybe if you get right on it, YOU can hide a series like this in your area. Ya, then you get to raise your hide numbers as well. Everybody in your area will love you for these "gifts".

--RuffRidr

RuffRidr, you know I'm TOTALLY on your side of the discussion throughout this whole thing, but: I could be wrong, but if you re-read 5c's post, I think he (she?) was being a little humorous/sarcastic. "Urban tooth decay"?

-Dav R.

On a side not Walmart caches are great.  Ever go to a town you have never been before and stay the night?  I did once and I forgot my toothbrush.  I wish there had been a walmart cache in that town so I didn't have to drive around in circles trying to find one.  I could have pulled it right up and gotten a toothbrush and a cache.  Then I could have took a picture and sent it to Renegade for his collection of urban decay. :huh:  :lol:

--RuffRidr

RuffRidr, you know I'm TOTALLY on your side of the discussion throughout this whole thing, but: I could be wrong, but if you re-read 5c's post, I think he (she?) was being a little humorous/sarcastic. "Urban tooth decay"?

-Dav R.

:lol:

Whenever I bring up the idea of a rating system for caches, I get shot down. The debate about crappy caches rages on... If I venture to say, "excuse me sir, but the mag key holder attached to the safeway dumpster is lame" I get a tirad about my "mean" and un-pc comment. I will continue to log poor ratings for lame caches.

I get a tirad about my "mean" and un-pc comment. I will continue to log poor ratings for lame caches.

What I've learned from this argument:

1. No one's values are superior to anyone else's. Therefore the lowest standard should be the universal one.

2. Every cache is a gift. Sure, some gifts may not seem well thought out, but hey, you probably receive gifts like that every holiday. The fact that some gifts require more resources in time and materials and planning is irrelevant.

3. Even log only film cannister micros have serious maintenance requirements. Remember, the guy who hid it might have to drive a few miles to change out the log. See, that's part of the gift.

4. The handicapped especially enjoy caching at WalMart. Try to consider them frequently in your hides.

5. The feelings of the hider are the most important. That's why it's important to write nice "I Found it" logs, regardless of your actual feelings. Or if you can't do that, communicate nothing, because people KNOW when you don't say much of anything, that's really negative. wink wink. "TNLNSL" is your friend.

6. Only lazy finders write "TNLNSL". At least try to mention that this was #n of NN for the day. That makes it a lot more personal.

7. It is OK sometimes to say something negative if the cache is in an extremely unsafe or illegal place - especially if nobody locally likes the hider anyway.

8. If you don't like 'em, don't find 'em. In fact, as the finder, if you aren't having a good time, it's your own darn fault. You should carefully research each find, and if you make a mistake and find one you just don't enjoy, you should move along and not say anything. (See item #4) Successfully practicing this will save you a lot of grief, and vastly expand your powers of ESP and clairvoyance! (A terrific side benefit!)

9. It's about the hunt. Even an easy hunt is still a hunt. Even a hunt that takes 37 seconds because the prior 37 you've done are just like it.

I know this may all have a weird, "Atlas Shrugged" type of feel to it at first, but you have to keep in mind that even a tiny, compromised container micro with a soggy log attached to a bin of rotting fish is still a GEOCACHE, and a proud descendant of the old style geocaches in ammoboxes amongst the mighty redwoods. Therefore we should ignore petty issues like personal preferences and individual enjoyment, and think about what's better for the community as a whole. So hold your head high, hold your nose if you have to, and go get that cache!

Some of the worst places are probably private neighborhood parks that are owned by an HOA. Some of these in my area will call the police if they see strangers in their park. (And they know who the strangers are.) The bad part is these LOOK just like public parks, except usually they are better manicured. If the finder doesn't spot the "No Trespassing" signs, they can be in for a rude surprise.

Many of the caches that appear to have a short live expectancy are those in private neighborhood parks owned by an HOA. Many geocachers place caches under bushes or in other locations in these parks, but these caches are usually soon found by landscapers or other non-geocachers who in turn remove them.

Putting a cache under a bush in a neighborhood park would seem to be an obviously bad location for a cache, because such a cache probably won't last very long. This seems be a particular characteristic among new geocachers - they are anxious to place a new cache, but don't want to spend a little more time traveling or searching for a good location where the cache will be less likely to found by a non-geocacher and become lost. However, experienced geocachers sometimes put geocaches in such areas as well.

Also, while it would appear to be good common sense not to put a travel bug in a cache that has a high risk of becoming lost or stolen, many geocachers put travel bugs in such caches, even highly experienced cachers. I believe that geocachers should avoid putting travel bugs in highly exposed caches or in those caches that have a high probability of becoming lost or stolen before the next geocacher comes to visit it.

If there is one common urban location where I feel that cache placement should be banned, it is in playground equipment. As a single male geocacher with no children, I feel very uncomfortable looking for such a cache when there are children around. ;)

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

If there is one common urban location where I feel that cache placement should be banned, it is in playground equipment. As a single male geocacher with no children, I feel very uncomfortable looking for such a cache when there are children around.

Nah, it just increases the difficulty because of special equipment. Just go rent a neighborhood kid, take a neice or nephew, or become a big brother.

Besides, who looks for caches when there are kids on the equipment, you pervert. ;)

Some of the worst places are probably private neighborhood parks that are owned by an HOA. Some of these in my area will call the police if they see strangers in their park. (And they know who the strangers are.) The bad part is these LOOK just like public parks, except usually they are better manicured. If the finder doesn't spot the "No Trespassing" signs, they can be in for a rude surprise.

Many of the caches that appear to have a short live expectancy are those in private neighborhood parks owned by an HOA. Many geocachers place caches under bushes or in other locations in these parks, but these caches are usually soon found by landscapers or other non-geocachers who in turn remove them.

Putting a cache under a bush in a neighborhood park would seem to be an obviously bad location for a cache, because such a cache probably won't last very long. This seems be a particular characteristic among new geocachers - they are anxious to place a new cache, but don't want to spend a little more time traveling or searching for a good location where the cache will be less likely to found by a non-geocacher and become lost. However, experienced geocachers sometimes put geocaches in such areas as well.

Also, while it would appear to be good common sense not to put a travel bug in a cache that has a high risk of becoming lost or stolen, many geocachers put travel bugs in such caches, even highly experienced cachers. I believe that geocachers should avoid putting travel bugs in highly exposed caches or in those caches that have a high probability of becoming lost or stolen before the next geocacher comes to visit it.

If there is one common urban location where I feel that cache placement should be banned, it is in playground equipment. As a single male geocacher with no children, I feel very uncomfortable looking for such a cache when there are children around. :D

life

I second the playground equipment comment. I feel very conspicuous in such a location. One of the nice things about Omaha's parks rule for geocaches is that the neighborhood parks are banned. Since the majority of the playground stuff is in these parks, we don't have as many as we used to.

I second the playground equipment comment.  I feel very conspicuous in such a location.  One of the nice things about Omaha's parks rule for geocaches is that the neighborhood parks are banned.  Since the majority of the playground stuff is in these parks, we don't have as many as we used to.

In metropolitan Phoenix, when I do note a cache that is likely to be in playground equipment, I know of a good time to visit when I can search unobstructed - midday during the summer months :D

Edited by Highpointer