geocaching etiquette

Ukulele Andy

What should I do if I get to or near a cache location and I'm aware that there is another cacher there ahead of me. Should I just continue on my route or should I stop my hunt and come back later when the other cacher has finished.

Today I found myself in just such a situation and I finally did leave the location to return another time. The other cacher was not aware that I was there. Has this happened to anyone else?

I think it really depends on the situation. I followed a cacher's footprints through the snow on a pretty difficult multi-virtual. Since it was a virtual, there was no box to find. Made the situation a little different.

I'd say if you have the time, scout the rest of the area and let the geocacher find their find undisturbed. It shouldn't take too long to find a cache, go through the contents, sign the log book and replace it. Then you can find it after they've left the area.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

If they are still looking for it, I would mosey on over and say hi and ask if they mind if I join them in seeking for it. See who finds it first and who can home in on it the closest with their GPS and compare notes and so on...If they DO mind, then I guess I will either leave or have a seat and watch! icon_biggrin.gif

If they are still looking for it, I would mosey on over and say hi and ask if they mind if I join them in seeking for it. See who finds it first and who can home in on it the closest with their GPS and compare notes and so on...If they DO mind, then I guess I will either leave or have a seat and watch! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess every person would react differently. Personally, if I were in the middle of hunting and another Geocacher came upon me, I'd happily join forces.

Other people may prefer to find it on their own and not appreciate the company.

I guess you can hide the GPS, approach the area and gauge the cacher's reaction to your presence. If he/she is friendly you can join in the hunt. If they appear disturbed by your presence, then just move along and wait.

Everyone has given me a little peace of mind about approaching another geocacher while in the middle of a hunt. My thinking was that Geocaching is for the most part a solitary sport - I didn't want to break any unwritten rules and ruin a cachers hunt. However, in the future I will assess the situation and if signs seem favorable I'll approach and join forces.

Thanks

UKULELE ANDY icon_razz.gif

Everyone has given me a little peace of mind about approaching another geocacher while in the middle of a hunt. My thinking was that Geocaching is for the most part a solitary sport - I didn't want to break any unwritten rules and ruin a cachers hunt. However, in the future I will assess the situation and if signs seem favorable I'll approach and join forces.

Thanks

UKULELE ANDY icon_razz.gif

The several times I've met geocachers I've known on searches, (regardless of who was there first), we've always teamed up for "the kill." But one time as I approached a cache site, I spotted someone looking. I sat down on the nearest log to allow him to finish ... after a couple of minutes, he spotted me and came over, and after introductions, he asked me to join him, which I did.

Strangely, most of the times I've met cachers has been along the trail in to or out from the find ... happened twice this past weekend, and it was the same fellow both times!