Neat New Area To Explore

Team Rampant Lion

I had my eye on this area for some time but wanted the peak of hunting season to pass before placing a few caches. The terrain is interesting and unusual. The wildlife and scenery is excellent (bring your camera). I've placed a number of caches to make it worth your while. Game on! I hope you enjoy.

ddfee2f5-a1f2-4ab2-862e-8e8bd97ee147.jpg

Here's the lineup:

GC Station Alpha

High Road

Easy Being Green

Trailblazers Delight

Class Cache

Shoots & Ladders

Whitt's Cliffs

Calm Before The Storm

PS - Hunters are still out so wear orange!

Wow! 4 caches in .4 miles!!! Can't hit the WMA this weekend but maybe next.

It's only 4 caches in 0.4 miles if you can stand in the middle and trust me, you DON'T want to be standing there. Unless you are an intrepid bushwasher and experienced bog crosser, the terrain will force you on a longer hike than you might expect.

If you follow your "maintain your altitude" motto here, you're in for a long day. :mad:

Sounds Like a No Dog Area.

"A nearly three-mile-long swamp that is home to a "Noah's Ark" of wildlife amid sprawling development in the Newton area has been bought by the state or $1.9 million, officials announced.

The 1,038 acres will become a state wildlife management area for hunting, fishing, birding and other passive-recreational activities, state Department of Environmental Protection Bradley Campbell announced Friday.

Herons, egrets and other animals live in and near the ponds and streams on the "black dirt" tract, also known as Newton Bog Meadow. The site is also home to foxes, bears and the endangered bog turtle and red-shouldered hawk. "

The Above drawn from the Star Ledger, which may be accessed by going to their Web Site at NJO.com and plugging Star Ledger and Hyponex into their search selection. If you are from NJ and are not familiar with NJO.com, you don't know what you are missing, their forum topics are non pareil and their information is terrific, even for those of us who are not in their major coverage area.

Wow! 4 caches in .4 miles!!! Can't hit the WMA this weekend but maybe next.

It's only 4 caches in 0.4 miles if you can stand in the middle and trust me, you DON'T want to be standing there. Unless you are an intrepid bushwasher and experienced bog crosser, the terrain will force you on a longer hike than you might expect.

If you follow your "maintain your altitude" motto here, you're in for a long day. :ph34r:

What you mean, 'Never give up altitude!' :)

I am hoping to explore the area soon. Hope I can get ALL 8 in the park.

TS wanna bet me? :)

Sounds Like a No Dog Area.

"A nearly three-mile-long swamp that is home to a "Noah's Ark" of wildlife amid sprawling development in the Newton area has been bought by the state or $1.9 million, officials announced. ..

Why would it be no dogs? Its supposed to be a WMA from what I read and WMA welcome dogs along with hunters.

Are dogs allowed?

I just noticed the posted map indicates a Dog Training Area. Hey that's great. You can train dogs to find caches. :) Well, there might be other reasons. What???

The "South" parking area is signed as being "Water Dog Training Area" There are certainly many small ponds within a short distance, some look especially suited for the training activity.

My own observation of this area: It has an incredible amount of sharp rising ridges and valleys. Most are only 75' to 200' in elevation change, BUT they are VERY frequent and VERY steep. I did a "skirt the worst of it" type of routing while navigating to the 3 interior caches here. A GREAT spot for hiking. BTW the REAL Quoddy had a ball in this WMA. I think the only thing that could have made it better for him was if the ice hadn't been on the ponds.

Edited by Quoddy
WMA from what I read and WMA welcome dogs along with hunters.
I was talking about the newly acquired adjacent to the rail trail. I was thinking that it would be too close to the trail. I was talking about the HYponex land

Both the Sussex Branch and Paulinskill Valley Rail Trails are cool with dogs (and horses). Absolutely excellent for family hikes and bike rides.

Excited to see a new area as even the bogs out here are surrounded by cliffs and climbs. Very fun terrain.

I had my eye on this area for some time but wanted the peak of hunting season to pass before placing a few caches. The terrain is interesting and unusual. The wildlife and scenery is excellent (bring your camera). I've placed a number of caches to make it worth your while. Game on! I hope you enjoy.

ddfee2f5-a1f2-4ab2-862e-8e8bd97ee147.jpg

Here's the lineup:

GC Station Alpha

High Road

Easy Being Green

Trailblazers Delight

Class Cache

Shoots & Ladders

Whitt's Cliffs

Calm Before The Storm

PS - Hunters are still out so wear orange!

Done! Great loop of caches TRL... we only cursed your name twice!

We parked at the South coordinates did the 4 southern ones then re-parked at the North Coordinates

If someone placed cars in each lot that would be easier...

Be careful of the swamp... :laughing:

4d77532c-464f-4e88-8196-932815a10a09.jpg