Supersonic Bug... How Fast Is He?

P&L Good

9 hours since launch it's covered 75,516 miles, at an average speed of 8,391mph. That's a little over Mach 11. Hypersonic TB! I don't suppose it'll keep up this pace though.

Thanks for everyone who's been batting it around the world. To stop this thread being all about my bug or me (I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the attention my Countryfile silliness created - Geocaching was the star, not me, or my jumper) how about people post their favourite TB story, or name the coolest one they've come across.

SP

Edited by Simply Paul

186,282.3970 miles per SECOND (a number I didn't need to look up. I need to get out more. Oh, I do!) would be possible with a virtual cache on a far-flung planet (Pluto is about 5 hours away at the speed of light) which the virtual TB could be logged in and out of, coming back to Earth each time. Presumably with a bump. However, with current tight rules on new virtual caches (which I suspect will be outlawed all together before long. New ones that is) would make getting a new virtual cache approved on Pluto rather tricky.... :ph34r:

My favourite TB goal?: I had to have my picture taken wearing a HORRIBLE pair of clip-on earrings for one called 'Guadi' the other day. It's heading towards Barcelona - one of my favourite cities - which I visited in 2002BC (Before Caching)

SP

Yep, our MATO (Masters Across The Ocean) felt it was likely to damage GC databases. They'd know better than me if this is true, and I don't want to damage anything, obviously. They put chocks under it. Permanently. And then let me know.

I've sent them a nice mail about it and they're going to send me replacement tags for a TB with a different mission. I've no idea if other VTBs are also being grounded, but if not, I'd sort of want to know why not. I've also asked for a section on VTBs to be added to the 'What is a TB' page as all it says at the moment is: "What does a Travel Bug do? It's really up to the owner of the bug to give it whatever task they desire..."

Anyway, it was fun while it lasted but now it's a case of 'Cache and burn!'

SP

No more than reverse/locationless caches and all* the other Virtual TBs out there - plus TBs being heavily logged at event caches, I suppose. Mine only needed to be logged twice a day (over 9,134.16 miles on average) to maintain its supersonic pace - and if it fell below that I wouldn't have moved it on. But anyway, it wasn't my call and I wasn't given any options so I'll just have to take it on the chin I guess.

SP

*I know of one, but there must be many more. Surely.

That's possible, and if they'd of asked me nicely I would have logged it back into a local cache, put a physical bug with the same tag number in the box and changed its mission and status from a virtual bug to a physical bug. Sadly I wasn't given that option. Looking at their histories, the other virts are alive and well it seems.

SP

I thought virtuals were frowned upon if a conventional cache could be reasonablly in the same place! That means Pluto should be no problem to get a virtual approved, who's even going to place a micro there?

Come on Eks and Laky whats the score on this then? :laughing:

Vacation cache, unless you can reassure me there is a local cacher willing to maintain it :huh: