GPS on TV!

mikeacrossamerica.com

I'm a news photographer, into Geocaching, and why not combine those into one day of getting paid to GeoCache? Read the info below, soon you'll be able to see my TV story, about 3 minutes worth, online at www.wptz.com, search in the champlain 2000 section. See more details below, or click my username where you'll find even more info, or call 15185615555 to ask the TV station for a copy!

Sincerely, Mike, paid for geocaching. You? icon_mad.gif

Mf

I like nachos.

I'm a news photographer for WPTZ Newschannel 5 - we shot a story about GeoCachers and it's archived at www.wptz.com (it will be up FEB 25, 2003) www.thechamplainchannel.com/champlain2000/ or just www.wptz.com - where it will be archived for 6 mos to a year. Perhaps longer. today is feb22

Johnny Wrote:

quote:
I'm a news photographer for WPTZ Newschannel 5 - we shot a story about GeoCachers and it's archived at www.wptz.com (it will be up FEB 25, 2003)

You have 29 posts, you should know better. When this story is available on the web site, your initial post will be 4 days buried in these boards. You should have waited closer to the 25th. I'll try to remember to check it out. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Buttons Brigade:

I have TLC show on Worlds Best Treasures that has Jeremy and GeoCaching in it if anyone wants a copy on Windows Media Video format..

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...

I would also like this, BB!

"Could be worse...could be raining"

quote:
Originally posted by Buttons Brigade:

I have TLC show on Worlds Best Treasures that has Jeremy and GeoCaching in it if anyone wants a copy on Windows Media Video format..

Opinions based on experiences with eTrex Vista...

Please send me a copy or a link as well.

THX,

GT-5

I just read the story...nice pictures!

...ummm....you didn't write it, did you?

Allow me a few moments of gratuitous journalist-bashing:

"...the satellite network that lets devices figure out exactly where they are by bouncing beams off the satellites..."

There must be hundreds of correct ways to describe how GPS works and "devices bouncing beams off satellites" isn't any of them.

"...left a sealed tin of Valentine's Day chocolates. Food is normally a no-no in caches, but..."

No buts. No food. Especially not in a news story that will presumably introduce people to the game for the first time. Way to set an example of obeying the rules, Wayne....

"...because it was found that giving civilians precise GPS coordinates would have minimal impact on national security..."

No, the military just found better ways to deny use of the system to our enemies...military OR civilian.

Ok I'm done now...thanks for the outlet!

ApK

[This message was edited by ApK on February 26, 2003 at 06:34 AM.]

"The man behind Geocache.com is "

I thought this site was geocaching.com

In general a nice story, but it does violate the rules concerning food, and ill describes GPS as noted in the post above.

Ignoring those technicalities, I like the article.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

Allow me a few moments of gratuitous jouralist-bashing:

Bash away. I work with reporters and can honestly say that a TON of embellishing goes on when a script is written. The geocaching script doesn't surprise me at all. Accuracy isn't at the forefront of a journalist's mind when a story is written (especially tv reporters).

Make sure the hair looks right.

Make sure the video is there.

Make sure my name gets on.

Oh yeah...it should be 100% accurate, too (that stat goes down to about 50%-60% during ratings (thank god they end today!!!!) icon_razz.gif

quote:
Bash away. I work with reporters and can honestly say that a TON of embellishing goes on when a script is written. The geocaching script doesn't surprise me at all. Accuracy isn't at the forefront of a journalist's mind when a story is written (especially tv reporters).

This is so true. A group of us build and race full size electric powered race cars and the local news came out to do a clip of us on the nightly news.

They asked us how fast the cars go, how long it takes to build them, etc. We showed them how safe they are with the 5 point seatbelts, rollbars, etc.

The race they filmed was one of our best. We had some of our fastest speeds, awesome competition, and great crowd turnout... We had a blast. We were so excited to see what the news was gonna show that night.

Well, we watched the clip and our jaws dropped to the floor. They gave totally inacurate facts (like that the cars can go 110mph... Ya, right...). Plus the ONLY clips they showed of the race was one of the cars that had electrical problems and was creaping across the finish line, and other of a driver crashing into a curb. No shots of the race, no shots of the crowd, no shots of the excitement and thrill of the race.

We were so disappointed, we vowed not to let any news channel talk about our sport again. However, the next news crew that approached us, we told them about the last time, and they said it would happen with their channel. Sure enough, they did do a good job, and it showed off the sport WAY better.

PS. We use a GPSr in the race car to track our average and top speed. icon_biggrin.gif

PPS. To learn more about the electric car racing, check out the following webpage...

Electrathon America Racing. Then, pick on "Gallery" at the top...

Brad

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

quote:
Originally posted by RastaDave:

(especially tv reporters).

Make sure the hair looks right.

Make sure the video is there.

Make sure my name gets on.

Oh yeah...it should be 100% accurate, too (that stat goes down to about 50%-60% during ratings (thank god they end today!!!!) icon_razz.gif

You know it. I think Journalism is about 1 generation away from being relegated to the Theater Arts department of colleges. It's sad. And I know that 'misstatements' are not even always the journalist's fault...I've seen articles come out of editors hands distinctly different then when they went in.

ApK