Mapping Software Queries

civilised

Hi

I’m very new to caching and GPS in general.

I got a Garmin Etrex Vista C a couple of weeks ago – I’m having great fun finding caches. But I’m interested in finding out the capabilities of my unit.

I’ve seen references on here to Memory Map and Fugawi. Can some kind person tell me the uses of this kind of mapping software? If I bought the software and the OS maps, can I upload the maps or part of them to my GPS unit? If not, what would they be used for?

I would say in advance that I’m virtually guaranteed to have further questions based on the replies I hope to receive to this – please be patient :ph34r:

And finally – I’m sorry if this should have been posted elsewhere in these forums, but I wanted a UK perspective

TIA

civilised

Welcome to our obsession/addiction/sport/game!

Sorry, the simple answer is no. You would need a PDA to use Memory Map in the field unless you want to carry a laptop around.

There has been talk of Garmin producing topographic maps but so far nothing has come of it as far as I know. Magellan does have UK topographic maps for their mapping GPSrs but from what I've seen it is not of the same detail as the OS 50,000 and 25,000 maps, both of which are on Memory Map.

Edited by John Stead

As for the differences between Fugawi and Memory Map - they are effectivly the same - giving on screen access to OS maps. The main differences are -

Memory Map available in 1:50,000 and also 1:25,000 for some parts of the country. Runs on PC and Pocket PC. Country split up in about (I forget exactly how many) eight units at about £40 each

Fugawi available in 1:50,000. Runs on PC, Pocket PC and Palm, county split into four £50 regions.

Fugawi has pricing options for half the country, or even the whole country, I guess Memory Map does the same.

It does seem that Memory Map is more popular amongst Pocket PC users.

You might also want to consider Tracklogs and Anquet.

IMO Tracklogs has the best user interface, but is slightly lacking in features compared to Memory-Map.

Tracklogs are reasonably priced for large areas at 1:50000, they also sell 1:25000 maps in small areas for the whole country, but they're not exactly cheap.

Or see the post I just made about free Garmin compatible contour maps, they can be uploaded to a GPS, but they don't show any paths / tracks etc.

Civilised,

There are many uses for Memory Map when geocaching. Without a PDA, perhaps the greatest benefit is for planning - you can load waypoints from files resulting from geocaching.com searches (Pocket Queries are most useful for this), and view them on the very clear and detailed OS maps on the screen. Then you can draw routes on the map - these can be downloaded to the GPS (in addition to the waypoints) to give you something to follow when out in the field.

I invested in a complete set of MM maps, so I can view the whole of GB, and perform searches to find any location that appears on an OS map. Expensive at first, but I've certainly had plenty of use out of it! It should be mentioned that you can print out an A4 sheet of any map area as well - really useful when you're going to be in a new part of the country for a few days, and helps recoup some of the original cost as you don't have to buy paper maps.

Note that there is also Anquet, who produce a similar type of package.

HH

I bought Fugawi because I wanted to run it on a Palm.

Note that you have a choice to make when buying it...

If you buy the non-OS version, you can scan/save/create your own maps, aerial photos, whatever and calibrate them into the system. (Not sure if memory map can do this). It's pretty cool having an aerial photo scrolling around my PDA screen as I walk/drive. HOWEVER, the OS maps from Fugawi don't work in this version.

The other choice is to get the OS version. This contains the OS maps you choose, and you can buy further OS maps, as described in previous posts. HOWEVER, this version does not allow you to scan your own maps.

It's something to do with OS licensing issues. I went for the non-OS version because I already have a bunch of OS sheets which are a doddle to scan and calibrate.

Hope this helps, it took me a while to figure out the differences.

Stu

Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies.

One of the reasons for getting into this was a lifelong interest in maps ( and being fortunate enough to live in the same country as the Ordnance Survey ) so I'm overwhelmed to see so many bits of software that would allow me to use OS maps on a PC.

I think I'm fairly clear on the uses of such software with reference to geocaching and once again, thanks to all who replied

civilised

So whats best Memory map , Anquet or Fugawi ? or are the all much the same ?

At the moment I have 12 paper maps that I use. Might get a pocket PC but it wont be for a while . So I will use it more in the planning.

Before you make a decision, I'd have a word with John Stead or Seasider. They can probably give you a few tips on the best thing to buy. Doing this might save you some money too in the long run. :D

The main difference between MemoryMap and Fugawi is cost (like Fugawi is approx half the price) .. and the fact that with Fugawi you have an initial choice of selecting one 1:25000 OS map in your initial bundle whereas with MM you are stuck with 1:50000 OS maps and to upgrade costs quite a significant addition to the already expensive price of MM.

OK you have a few more bells and whistles with MM which for most of the geocaching community is superfluous (IMHO).

Also, I don't find Fugawi 'clunky' in the least ... and having run both programs I find it easier to use than MM :lostsignal: