Spring Fling Event -- This Time For Sure.

Shop99er

Alright, this is the for sure, what we are shooting for, Spring Fling '05 Event information.

Fresh Foody

East Bremerton off of Wheaton Way

Sunday, April 10th

From 2PM to 5PM

The event will be submitted tonight or tomorrow so watch for it in the listings.

Hope to see you all there!

Thank you for setting up such an event. I will be there unless something unusual comes up that I have no control over. Are the lusty tales still part of the program?

Dick, W7WT

Lusty tales are just a given!

And as with all of our parties/events...

Festive attire appreciated. Underware optional. :unsure:

Bringing this back to the top of the list.... AND...

....Letting everyone know that there's going to be a contest at the Fling! Dick (W7WT) is putting together a little contest with some great prizes so keep your eyes peeled for details! Dick will make a post to this thread to let everyone know how this is going to work.

Along with the contest there will be other prizes given away. Bring your good luck and your GPSrs!

Um... Would this Event be "kid friendly"? I just wonder, given the "under" comments. I don't think "lusty" tales (or tails for that matter) would be appropriate for youngsters. But perhaps I am just "out of it" enough to not know what is *really* being referred to in the previous posts.

Um... Would this Event be "kid friendly"? I just wonder, given the "under" comments. I don't think "lusty" tales (or tails for that matter) would be appropriate for youngsters. But perhaps I am just "out of it" enough to not know what is *really* being referred to in the previous posts.

All our events are kid friendly! Some of them are dog and kid friendly!

Just to clarify..."lusty tales" ... any good tale told with gusto and passion are lusty. :laughing:

Is Your GPS Average? If so you could have first choice of the great prizes to be given out at the event. Just south of the main entrance to Fresh Foody is a tall light pole on a concrete base. With your GPS setting on the south side of the pole

take a reading of the coordinates. I will try to park my Land Cruiser behind that spot so people won't worry about what is going on in front of their vehicle. A log book will either be with me outside at first and then inside in the banquet room. Log your coordinates as well as your Geocaching name and Model of your GPS.

After a reasonable time I will average all of the Latitude numbers and also seperately average all of the Longitude numbers. Your GPS will be ranked as how close it is to the average for the Latitude and then also for the Longitude. Then those two rankings will be averaged for your final ranking. All prizes will be either in a box or on a table and you can choose from what is left. At the present time I have or have ordered the following:

Gilsson Amplified Remote GPS Antenna (great for Garmin GPS with the MCX

connector

Uncirculated 2004 Washington Geocoin (donated by Bull Moose) very rare

( not the Moose the Geocoin)

LED Flash Light (has red LED, white LED, and long range Krypton beam

Geocaching Patch with Color Logo

Geocaching Signal the Frog Antenna Ball (there are two of these)

GPS City Whistle with Compass and Thermometer (also two of these)

Only one entry per Geocaching name.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Bringing this back up to the top.

We are working on having a few give-aways at the fling. Everyone attending will receive a FREE raffle ticket to win a spring theme basket and what ever else shows up at the Fling. We're even going to raffle off the flower and candle decorations on the tables.

If you would like to bring an item for the raffle we certainly encourage you do to so.

The contest that Dick (W7WT) is putting together will be a completely separate thing and ANOTHER chance to win something!

Again....the raffle tickets are FREE. No money changes hands. Everyone attending gets one ticket and a chance to win something.

Hope to see you all at the Fling. Look for the GeoCache sign to point you in the right direction at Fresh Foody.

Hi Dick,

If you need another prize for your contest, I've got one for you. It is a 2005 edition Geocoin. It has not been registered, so the winner can register it in his/her own account and track or keep it. Let me know.

Bruce

I got the above e-mail from Ajetpilot. Bruce will not be able to attend as it is his granddaughters birthday but is donating the 2005 unregistered USA Geocoin. So it will be added to the GPS contest. Remember Bull Moose is also donating a 2004 unregistered Washington Geocoin.

I will also add the coin to the cache page as not everyone reads the forums.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

New to caching (thanks to Gordo1013, who most of you Kitsap/Pierce/Thurston cachers probably know already) but making up for lost time at a pretty good clip. Likewise on the names - it'd be fun to put faces with all these names I keep seeing above mine on logbooks and as cache owners. The only factor is my family and whatever plans they may have made for me already that weekend.

We went Geocaching in Shelton and down 101 and a little ways up Rt 8 today. I did find a CAV SCOUT GEOCOIN which I will add to the GPS prizes. Before you get too excited this is not his latest metal coin but is a very nice wooden one. I picked it up in the Maddie's Cove Cache. Dick, W7WT

I did find a CAV SCOUT GEOCOIN which I will add to the GPS prizes. Before you get too excited this is not his latest metal coin but is a very nice wooden one. I picked it up in the Maddie's Cove Cache. Dick, W7WT

I think that's fabulous! The more chances to win something, anything, the better the party will be! We may have to scout around to find some more goodies to put on the prize table.

Thank you Dick!

Edited by Shop99er
Why, yes, yes you would. My fame precedes me! I knew there was a reason I spent 20 years doing theater and nothing else with my spare time!

I think it was in Midsummer Night's Dream that I remember you so well.

Oh, living in a small town.... if we don't see you on the trail maybe we'll see you on the boards....or at the Fling..which ever comes first. ;)

March 21 by ohjoy! (1357 found)

Anyone want to carpool from Olympia, Tacoma or Gig Harbor? I hesitate to drive that far with only one person in the car.

Gosh, one of the top female geocachers (over a thousand finds) may join us.

We're starting to get a good amount of prizes together for kids and adults for the Fling and have decided that there will be a seperate raffle for kids and one for adults.

Dick has rounded up a healthy amount of game prizes that include some highly collectible items. He's been working on a GeoGame so please remember to bring your GPSr!

Mark has posted the new rules and times for the GPS Contest on the cache page.

Please note it will be from 1200 to 1345 at N 47°35.689 W 122°38.315. This is just about a half mile west of Fresh Foody on Sylvan Way in East Bremerton. You must be attending the Spring Fling to qualify for the prizes. Dick, W7WT

Yes, but what if my GPSr is more accurate than the one you used to set the target? Ho ho ho. :huh:

Sounds like a fun contest. I assume this takes the place of the previous lightpole placement thingy?

yes, this does replace the light pole contest. I did some testing on that and found that the GPSs that were off on the Latitude were on for the Longitude and vice versa so when you averaged the rating they all come out about the same. Even my

old Garmin GPS 45 did as well as my new 76C. I will let the 76C set a long time and get it as accurate as possible. I will admit, who knows which would be the most accurate. That area has a clear sky and the deviation from ground zero will not be large. It will be interesting to see what kind of pattern we will get. If they all are in the bull eye we will just have a drawing. Hope to see you there. I don't expect this contest to settle the Garmin-Maggy dispute. Dick, W7WT

With all the rain and new garden plots they are putting in the garden site west of Fresh Foodys, the site is not suitable. You would need boots on the west end where I had planned to conduct the contest and the higher ground would be too close to the protective gardeners. Mark has put the new location on the cache page. It will be at Lent Landing just west of the East Bremerton side of the Warren Ave. Bridge on Lebo. This is also the location of Ray's Kiss my Cache 4. There is a nice gazebo on the water side of the park where you will probably find the cachers conducting the contest. There is only about six or seven parking spaces so it would be nice if you could make the space available for others after you plant your flag. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT
There is only about six or seven parking spaces so it would be nice if you could make the space available for others after you plant your flag. Dick, W7WT

Now, isn't that an extremely polite way of saying "when you're done, beat it, and go to the Event"? :D:rolleyes:

There is only about six or seven parking spaces so it would be nice if you could make the space available for others after you plant your flag. Dick, W7WT

Now, isn't that an extremely polite way of saying "when you're done, beat it, and go to the Event"? :D:rolleyes:

Mark, just remember that when you and the Boss stop by to try your luck on the GPS Contest. I am placing my money on the Boss's 60C.

Now, isn't that an extremely polite way of saying "when you're done, beat it, and go to the Event"? :huh::laughing:

Mark, just remember that when you and the Boss stop by to try your luck on the GPS Contest. I am placing my money on the Boss's 60C.

$5 that my MMG gets closer than the Boss' 60C? :) To everyone else, this is a private bet, and all non-combatants are asked to retreat to neutral corners. I thank you.

Edited by Shop99er

OK, I can afford to lose $5. Belleterre is going to help me and I will let her do the measuring and taking the bearing. Bruce, Ajetpilot may be able to come to the event. If he does he will also help. If you were a smart husband you would let her win.

I have also decided to take the bearing as well as measure from ground zero. Today I found my Pilot's Pocket DME which is a six inch compass rose with a gromet

in the middle. By pushing a icepick through the center to ground and using either a compass or GPS to establish North we will be able to run a line to the flag and get the bearing as well as the distance. That will allow us to plot the various flags. We will probably only identify them with a number and maybe the type of GPS. I don't want anyone to feel bad that a $30 GPS someone got off of eBay beats out their $600 super GPS. I would suggest turning on your GPS and let it be acquiring sats a long time before you arrive at the Contest site. Try to have a a reasonable number of bars before you come down to set your flag.

Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Went Geocaching with Bruce, Ajetpilot today and he donated his unregistered 2005

USA Geocoin for the Spring Fling GPS contest. I now have it in my hot little hands. Bull Moose could you please bring along your unregistered 2004 Washington State Geocoin to the Spring Fling event?

Remember you are elgible to participate in the GPS Contest. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

The top geocacher anywhere is Pcakes and he will be joining us. As I have said before, if Pcakes can't find it, it's not there. He is only about 15 from reaching 1,000. At the rate he is going, he may be there by Sunday. Also those wishing to meet Bruce, Ajetpilot. He will be assisting Belleterre and me at the GPS contest.

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Dick, W7WT

Just an update on the Spring Fling GPS Contest: You may participate in the contest any

time from 1200 to 1345. Either Belleterre, Ajetpilot or myself will be in the parking lot, at Lent Landing on Lebo

to greet you. You will log in and receive an envelope which you also sign. On the envelope

will be your number and the coordinates and inside is a flag. Nothing fancy just a nail with a ribbon tied on

with your number on it. We ask that only the person with the GPS be on the playing field. Ground

zero will be between the parking lot and the gazebo. After you plant your flag return to the parking

lot. If there are two of you from the same team with different GPSs, you may both hunt at the

same time. If the same GPS is going to be used by someone else on your team (remember only two

members per geocaching name may enter) you may help them put in coordinates and get to the

proper GPS page for the hunt, but they must do the hunt alone, with no futher help from you.

Please be careful and not disturb other flags already placed. Please don't let your kids pick the

pretty ribbons. Keep your envelope for the awarding of the prizes. Restrooms are just about a block

west at Lyon's field. Since there is limited parking please head to Fresh Foodys for the event.

Best way to get there is to drive west on Lebo to Pine Road, then go north to the first stop

sign and turn east on Sylvan Way. Fresh Foody is in the mall on the north side just before you

get to the light. If you have time you may wish to pick up a few of the many caches in the area.

Edited by W7WT

There is FREE WiFi at Kitsap Regional Library just east of Fresh Foody on Sylvan Way. They are only open 1 -5 PM on Sunday but I have been able to connect in the

parking lot on the west side. If they are open they have tables on the west wall where you can plug in your laptop to 120V. They also have computers but most of the time they are all in use. The branch library downtown on 5th street has free WiFi. If you can find a parking spot right in front they have a strong signal that is easy to connect. Once the GPS contest starts at 1200, we will be monitoring channel 2 on FRS. We may be busy with the contest and not answer your call, but we will try. I now estimate we will have between 40 to 50 contestants. Looking

forward to meeting all of you. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT