More Power For Topic Starters

WH

I think it would be cool if the website allowed topic starters greater control over their threads. The two things that jump to mind are:

The ability to edit thread titles

Deleting or editing posts within the thread.

There are times when people want to have a serious discussion about an issue and the forum clowns come along and derail it by posting wisea** comments.

Thoughts?

*edited for typos

Edited by WH

The only problem with a user editing someone elses post is malice. Quite frankly, I can see certain people doing it in threads of value, so IMO it'd just be flamewar material.

Deleting posts, while possibly less -group- inflammatory, would certainly be extremely inflammatory to the person whose post was deleted. Again, I could see this being abused during heated debates.

Also, TPTB themselves rarely, if ever, delete posts or threads. They might split them off or close them, but the posts are generally there for the world to see, and to document some history. Imagine if the old posts and theads from the early days were gone? What sense of history would there be? Rumor, and that's about it...

If you need to edit your thread topic due to a typo or a need for clarification, send a PM to your favorite moderator. Or, send a PM to me. Either way will work.

Basically every thread topic has errors that can be classified as annoying as typos. The forum software transforms the topics into grammatically incorrect form. Since the administration's attitude towards this - granted, a very minor - issue seems to be no more than this awe-inspiring 'boo hoo', I'd be very happy to fix my thread topics myself. Somehow I doubt not many forum moderators don't want to fix all the thread topics I (and probably other thread starters) will send as a PM. <_<

Deleting/editing posts within the thread is IMO too big a can of worms, but in current circumstances I gladly support the ability to edit thread topics.

the report button is there for a reason

The report button used mostly to report posts that violate guidelines. While wisea** comments my not necessarily violate guidelines, they can be a distraction if the OP is trying to have a serious discussion.

I think it would be cool if the website allowed topic starters greater control over their threads. The two things that jump to mind are:

The ability to edit thread titles

Deleting or editing posts within the thread.

There are times when people want to have a serious discussion about an issue and the forum clowns come along and derail it by posting wisea** comments.

Thoughts?

*edited for typos

Things work just fine the way they are now.

I see no need to change them.

I think that being able to edit the title all by yourself would be cool but deleting/editing posts should be left to the mods.

That's right. No misrepresentation of other people's comments.

On a more serious note: This could just as easily go the other way. If a troll created a topic he/she could delete any conflicting posts.

Edited by Enspyer
editing the title would be cool (if it can't be done already) but deleting posts within a thread is asking for trouble. Just look at the flak the admins/mods get when closing threads.... I don't think you want to go there. :ph34r:

Gotta agree with ya there Rob! Pursonily id lik a speel kheker. not Fer me of corse...butt for the morans who cant speel! :rolleyes: