Has Anyone Found...

After a few cocktails saturday night I began to wonder:

Seeing as we hide things where most people will never find them...has anyone ever stumbled across a "hide" more sinister in nature? Here, in Dallas, we watched the news for updates on a man who was kidnapped and murdered...and one of the suspects took police to a remote area...trees and tall grass and trash...and I thought...WOW, I wonder if there were any caches hidden in that area!?!?

So, has anyone stumbled across anything they WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO FIND?

After a few cocktails saturday night I began to wonder: 

Seeing as we hide things where most people will never find them...has anyone ever stumbled across a "hide" more sinister in nature?  Here, in Dallas, we watched the news for updates on a man who was kidnapped and murdered...and one of the suspects took police to a remote area...trees and tall grass and trash...and I thought...WOW, I wonder if there were any caches hidden in that area!?!?

So, has anyone stumbled across anything they WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO FIND?

You sound guilty of something. Go ahead, share with us. Who did you kill and what is the name of the cache you placed near the dumped body? We won't tell :D

:D

you Coloradoans sure hate us Texans! lol

We don't hate Texans, we just want you to come, enjoy and spend your money and go home......

It's just that some parts of the state we seem to have stumbled into a space warp that transports us to where the language has changed to texican. :D

Mac

(Colorado native, second generation on both sides of the family and 4 generations in one line) :D

:D

you Coloradoans sure hate us Texans! lol

Off topic, but while in the military I worked with folks from all over the country and the one thing that was easy to spot was a Texan.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Texans, let me say that right up front.

At the same time it was easy to determine who was from Texas in a lot of cases. If the boots and hat didn't give it away, once they opened their mouth it was a dead giveaway. :D

editted to add: I forgot to include the belt buckle

Edited by DaveA

I once found what appeared to be a tarp rolled up at the base of some rocks. The "tarp" was at the opposite side of the rock ridge from the trail. After stepping down to the other side and a slight nudge of the boot, I figured there was something wrapped up in it. We were on federal property and in no man's land, so to say. Although I have a concealed carry permit, you're not supposed to carry on federal property as this was. I dropped off my .40 and 9mm and we went to the police station for the area. They questioned us on 4 different occasions and would never tell us what we found. Since the area is about 80 miles or so away from us, we could never get any info from the news either. Who knows exactly what we found? It had been recently placed since there was snow underneath the tarp and the temps had been cold enough to freeze / preserve anything that MAY be wrapped inside. I am making the assumption it was a body due to the extensive questioning they put us through individually. They even kept my cache printouts, the pigs!!!!!!

haha...yes, I must agree with all that. AND I know that when many blowhard texans go to colorado, they make us all look like imbeciles...(did I spell that right? lol) I don't get offended at the notion...When I was in california...from san fran to san diego I actually had to TELL people I was from texas...the reactions were quite humorous. oh, a side note...we really ARE just like king of the hill. :D

I am making the assumption it was a body due to the extensive questioning they put us through individually.

Was this before or after they went to the location? If it was before I don't know why they'd know about it before you informed them.

I would have peeked. Now you'll never know :D

Well, I've never found a DEAD body. But here is a log post from someone who found a couple of bodies near my area. :D

May 23, 2004 by Great Leaper (41 found)

Sparc T'Flayme and I went about this from the south route. We found out it was a much more challenging climb.

And because we approached from a non-standard way, we apparently surprised, well, to say it nicely, two youths teaching each other about the birds and the bees.

It's amazing what you find when out caching. I think we need to add a new category for caches now: Difficulty, Terrain, and Adult Content. This was definetly a 5 star.

Took nothing, Sparc left the Lucky TB.

Thanks for the hike. I need to go wash out my eyes now.

This actual log can be seen here BRWGL1800

Not only was a body found, but it was my sister's long lost brother in law, who had been missing for 12 years. He was found by geocachers at this cache last February. My sister called me and said geocaching was not just a hobby for me, but an answer to prayers for her and her husband's family. I said what do you mean? She said geocachers found Paul near a cache in SC. I was dumbfounded. From the phone call I went to chat, they said oh yeah, there's even a thread in the forums, from the forums I found the cache page, and posted my note to it. From the cache page I found the news article and was able to tell the family who it was that found their brother. I communicated with the finder to thank him for giving the family closure. They had a service for him in NY last summer and scattered his remains. May he rest in peace.

A few years ago in Aiken SC a body(skeleton) was discovered at "Cliffs of cache" two guys caching ran across the decomposed ruins which has been there several years prior to the cache placement. This is the one Planet speaks of.

May Paul rest in peace.

Edited by DiskDevil

a year ago...before I became interested in this..I stumbled across something in the woods...it was near my place...and area where I would cut through when taking a a little nature walk...and I grew up in the area so I knew pretty much what all was out there...until one day I found a deep freeze...WITH a padlock on it. I could pry the lid up about .5mm and "PHEW!" SOMETHING was dead and rotting in it. I went home and got to thinking...mebbe it's a body? And after a few cocktails (these stories always go this way) went to a friend's to see if he wanted to do the STAND BY ME thing and see if someone missing was in this thing. See, the padlock was on a latch that ws held on by phillips head screws (duh, not very secure). Turns out everone I knew was chicken...so I had adjacent property management call the police. Next day: police, fire, and THE EPA where on the scene...nearby road blocked and funky trucks with flashing yellow lights. That's kinda exciting, no? Well, it was until they opened the container and found...ROTTEN CHICKEN. all they did was duct tape the lid until they contacted the property owner(?) to have it hauled off. So much for a good story...although, after reading some of these...maybe that IS a good story, only being chickens and not peoples...