Events And Non-cachers

Shop99er

The annual GeoLuau replaces the annual luau we had for many years at our home . We have a few friends who always attended our personal luau and it feels a little odd to not invite them to our GeoLuau but it also feels a little odd to invite people to a caching event who do not cache and are not interested in caching.

What's the general feeling on this? Should an event be an invitation to only cachers or people interested in learning about caching? Or is it acceptable to invite friends and family to one?

I second that. I don't find cachers to be very exclusionist in general...

That's usually true. However, I found just the opposite.

We were in Tacoma, hunting for April Folly 1 & 2. We wandered up the the common start point, and tere's a gaggle of cachers.

We say howdy, they grunt at us, and then take off. I guesss they couldn't be bothered with chatting.

The annual GeoLuau replaces the annual luau we had for many years at our home . We have a few friends who always attended our personal luau and it feels a little odd to not invite them to our GeoLuau but it also feels a little odd to invite people to a caching event who do not cache and are not interested in caching.

What's the general feeling on this? Should an event be an invitation to only cachers or people interested in learning about caching? Or is it acceptable to invite friends and family to one?

Just redefine those non-cachers as potential cachers, and consider the event a recruiting opportunity

I agree with the ovewhelming sentiment of the previous posts. It's your gig, invite who (or is that whom?) ever you want. Hopefully, we geocachers never adopt a "country club" attitude. And I also agree that some of those folks might (and probably will) become cachers in the future.

Maybe this will be the start of other events designed to introduce geocaching to the uninitiated.

We have a few friends who always attented our personal luau....

who do not cache and are not interested in caching.

Please take note of this statement.

While everyone has no problem with others attending. We don't want to overwhelm these people, trying to make them geocachers, and make them feel uncomfortable and decide not to attend another of Shop99er's luaus.

We have a few friends who always attented our personal luau....

who do not cache and are not interested in caching.

Please take note of this statement.

While everyone has no problem with others attending. We don't want to overwhelm these people, trying to make them geocachers, and make them feel uncomfortable and decide not to attend another of Shop99er's luaus.

What would it take to get you to find a geocache today? We have a lovely 2/2 at 127 degrees that's only ever been found on Sundays, or this nice 1/1 at 303 degrees that's only had 2 previous finders. :P

Edited by pdxmarathonman