Lame Caches: A Finders Guide

There are two issues I have.  Well, there are more, but only two I'm going to address.

. . .

What I am saying is folks have every right to have a say in the direction the hobby is going--especially in the area in which they live, work, and most importantly, where they cache.

I feel very strongly that pointless, thoughtless caches are not good for the hobby and should strongly be discouraged.  I feel we should all strive to place and maintain well thought-out caches that have a purpose to exist.

@CoyoteRed: So, 'pointless, thoughtless' caches are - of course - not the same for you than for me. I had the opportunity to cache in Germany, Italy, France, Austria and the Tennessee. That gives me - in your stated opinion - a strong right to have a say . . .

I had and have the ability to enjoy most of the caches I hunt :) - which naturally has nothing to do with the (kind of) caches you enjoy or stopped enjoying :) to hunt.

Maybe you might want to consider (strongly), that your point of view of ('pointless, thoughtless') cache-quality is very subjective.

And probably different from mine. And maybe from those of many others.

That is life. It is normal. Please keep rules and guidelines for this Sport to a minimum, or the FUN of the game will fade away.

Please keep your influence towards placed caches at a minimum level - because I enjoy a large variety of cache-quality (also the 'pointless, thoughtless').

Every cache is an offer, an invitation of the owner to hunt this cache. It is my right - and not yours - to decide if I want to hunt it or not. If you use 'your quality influence', quite some or many caches will not be placed at all or be archived. I would dislike that.

Keep hunting !

[Hey Boy! Granpa Alex is on board for this trip - this is simply GREAT news . . . I will be there with the Horsegeeks in the Raleigh ice/snow for these new caches - I can help the geeks, if the terrain (ice/snow) or the caches become too slick. What a great idea!!!

My only regret is that I've actually spent some time thinking about places and hides, violating one of the cardinal rules of lame cache placement.

[Hey Boy! Granpa Alex is on board for this trip - this is simply GREAT news . . . I will be there with the Horsegeeks in the Raleigh ice/snow for these new caches -  I can help the geeks, if the terrain (ice/snow) or the caches become too slick. What a great idea!!!

My only regret is that I've actually spent some time thinking about places and hides, violating one of the cardinal rules of lame cache placement.

Shame!!!!

Lame Caches: A finders guide.

Yes Virginia there is such a thing as a lame cache.  One you won’t enjoy finding.  By and large though what you do and don’t enjoy is entirely up to you.

The first rule is this.  If you are not having fun, quit that.  It stands to reason that if any one cache isn’t fun, and you keep looking for that cache, then you are enjoying not having fun.  That makes no sense, so quit when it’s not fun.  Quit then go to another cache.  That can be a hard lesson to learn.

Almost all caches are more fun after you find them.  Remember it while you are looking.  It may not help, but it won’t hurt.  Especially with micros.

Wet logs.  Once you find one you really only have three choices, but you can mix and match.  First you can whine about it and stomp your feet.  You can sign it anyway with your waterproof pen.  Or you can add a dry log in a zip lock and sign that one.  My path is to sign the wet log.  It’s a challenge, besides I paid extra for a waterproof pen and dammit I want to use it every now and then.

Bring friends or family.  Somehow an afternoon of seeking lame caches with good company seems like a lot more fun than an afternoon of debating lame caches in the forums by yourself.

Rise to the challenge.  Micro Signature items for micro caches.  Bring your own pen to sign with since the dinky stub is hard to write with.  Hide a full size cache in that perfect spot 10’ over, mention it in your log., and see what happens.  Give it to the cache owner if they are like “Why didn’t I think of that!”  List it on another site if they go ballistic.

Show them how it’s done.  528’ over from their lame a$S micro hide a good one.  If their next cache is improved, call it a job well done.

Be a cache angel.  There is a difference between “your lame cache is cracked, wet, and full of McToys you need to maintain it or you suck.” And “I replaced the gladware container that had cracked with a Rubbermaid one and put in a dry log”.  Both drive home the point.  One does it better and it’s actually more fun.

Trash: All caches accumulate trash.  One mans trash is another mans treasure. However it’s a safe bet that expired coupons, wrappers, and food should just be removed.  If a cache is full of Mcjunk leave a stretchy lizard (or similar cool but cheap item).  They are something like 10 cents each and kids love them and who cares if they don’t trade fair for it?  You just improved the cache.  That reminds me…I need to order some.

Don’t make it harder than it is.  Every now and then I’m fighting briars and brambles to look in a spot the cache could be.  With clothing torn and blood flowing suddenly my brain will kick in and I’ll realize the cache owner probably doesn’t like bleeding any more than I do.  Then I look where they wouldn’t have to bleed and find the cache.  Sometimes your best tool is your brain, and the best solution is to ask yourself “Where would I hide it?”

Of these the most important is the first. If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong.

Hi there.. So that I don't have to dig thru every one of these postings, could you please post 3 or 4 waypoints that you consider especially glowing examples of a 'lame' cache?

Thanks very much.

Edited by Team cotati697
I really wasn't going to get into this arguement, but enough is enough.  With multiply threads with the same people giving the same arguements...

dratt19, you keep using the example of "bombing" where someone places HUNDREDS of lame micros.  Well, examples please! 

You have stated that in moderation they're OK, but when someone did place one in your area, you had to send them 'constructive' help with examples from other areas (which did sound like the "bullying" you mentioned earlier).  What is "in moderation"?  Zero?  If your area hasn't been bombed, why try and talk someone out of placeing one?  If there aren't any lampost hides, how can they enjoy that first one?  It sounds like a case of NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).

Along the same line, a lot of what I'm hearing here comes across as "Don't hide caches I don't like!"  A very selfish attitude.  Get over yourselves.  Don't limit others experiences.

Are all hiders as experienced as you?  Are they "supposed" to be?  Are they all equally creative?  It puts me in mind of the successful stock broker when asked the reason for his success, replied "Making good decisions".  "How do you make good decisions?"  "Experience."  "How did you get experience?"  "Making bad decisions."  New hiders need to 'evolve' also.  Just remember back your beginnings and what you thought about those first caches.

Evolution:  The first cache was placed a couple of steps away from a wide spot on the road.  Without a view, not an interesting local POI, no historical value.  Very much what we'd call a 'park & grab' now.  Lame?  Hmmm... interesting thought...

Sorry if this isn't in the best thought order.  Just want to share my vocal opinion.

Jester, as with others I have debated this issue with, I respect your counterpoints even if I don't happen to agree with all of them.

(EDIT: I've deleted the other response I originally posted because I'm sick of arguing it. Yes, I wrote another one of my verbose replies and went through your post point by point as well. Instead, let's just leave it here: Clearly there are two equally vehement sides to this debate. 'Nuff said.)

-Dave R.

Edited by drat19
Here's one. It's mine

East of the Jersy Shore

Shoot, I liked East of the Jersey Shore. I sat in the gazebo and made a conference call. I cooled off, did my work, found a cache and listened to some birds sing. I didn't even hear the traffic. There was even a bit of danger involved to make things exciting, remember the wasps under the bench? Above all I was FTF. Hucklebuck you are your own worst critic.

So, 'pointless, thoughtless' caches are - of course - not the same for you than for me.

Tis true.

Some caches exist solely for a hide and/or find increment. Nothing else. They aren't placed with any thought to the hide. There is nothing to look at that is of any remote interest. There is no imagination. Not even a twist to being a "lame" cache. Some even are so small that you can't even trade trinkets or drop off a TB. The only entertainment value is knowing you get to get another smiley.

So, sure the point could be for you to simply to increment a find count. That's the only point.

Sure, you can go out with friends, hunt these kind of caches, and have an absolute blast! The camaraderie and good times make it worth it. But does a cache have to be pointless or lame for this to happen? No. Do you even need to have a cache to go out and have fun? No. Does a cache have to be lame to be fun? No.

So, now, tell me why a cache with no intrinsic entertainment value; no view or object to draw the hunter's attention to, no "hunt" along the way, no puzzle, no thought needed, no clever hide technique, no history, no story, no nothing--why should it be placed when someone knows better?

....Hi there.. So that I don't have to dig thru every one of these postings, could you please post 3 or 4 waypoints that you consider especially glowing examples of a 'lame' cache?

Thanks very much.

Lame caches are entirely subjective. You will know it when you find it, and odds are it won't be the same one as someone else.

The entire point of the original post was that you get out of geocaching what you bring to it in the form of your own attitude. You can have fun and there are things you can do to have more fun. It's really as simple as that.

However as you requested here is a "Lame Cache" that I found some time ago, and why it's one of the ones that I still remember even after finding another 200 caches since then.

....Hi there.. So that I don't have to dig thru every one of these postings, could you please post 3 or 4 waypoints that you consider especially glowing examples of a 'lame' cache?

Thanks very much.

Lame caches are entirely subjective. You will know it when you find it, and odds are it won't be the same one as someone else.

The entire point of the original post was that you get out of geocaching what you bring to it in the form of your own attitude. You can have fun and there are things you can do to have more fun. It's really as simple as that.

However as you requested here is a "Lame Cache" that I found some time ago, and why it's one of the ones that I still remember even after finding another 200 caches since then.

And exactly what cache was that?

...And exactly what cache was that?

The father and the uncle both respond in the thread and say what cache it is. However it really doesn't matter because I'm not holding it out as an example of lame. Instead it's an example of why a cache that appears to be lame is anything but.

If you really thought my point was all about lame caches, you missed it. It's about getting out of geocaching what you put into it.

huh. well, if it was all about boosting my find count, i'd get on a plane to nashville.

the point of the "pointless" caches is the pleasure of turning on my GPS and going to find something. i like geodashing, in which there isn't even a lame container to find. it really is just about getting there. sometimes there's a nice surprise or an interesting thing, sometimes not.

i never know where i'm going and i don't try to predict it. i enjoy simply going to find out, and i don't require anything else. it may or may not turn out to be a good cache (by MY standards) but i'm happy to have hunted it.

if it looks like i won't like it, i don't go. it's that simple i don't presume to make decisions for other people about what they should enjoy finding. i also wouldn't dream of saying that if you liked a particular 'lame" cache you must only be in it for the numbers.

i'm a big entropy fan. if you take me to an abandoned industrial site, i might enjoy it very much. a PQ and good DB management are all you really need. the page of closest caches to my house is useless to me because it's full of caches I WOULDN'T ENJOY, so i don't even consider going.

if i'm visiting an area, i run a PQ and -get this- i READ some of the descriptions before i go there just to see what i can expect.

incidentally, the cache quality of my neighborhood is much better than yours and you are not allowed to hide a cache here. i'm sure your nice little caches are fine and good in your area where you poor slobs don't know any better, but they just won't fly over here where we are much more discriminating.

anyone else who wants to place a cache in this area may get an application here.

...And exactly what cache was that?

The father and the uncle both respond in the thread and say what cache it is. However it really doesn't matter because I'm not holding it out as an example of lame. Instead it's an example of why a cache that appears to be lame is anything but.

If you really thought my point was all about lame caches, you missed it. It's about getting out of geocaching what you put into it.

OK, thanks very much. I'll try and hold your inspirational message dear to my heart as I persue those little plastic containers. Heck, who knows some day even I might have over 200 cache finds. That will be really grand.

Here's my twisted contribution to this thread: Maybe, sometimes you can have fun BECAUSE the cache is lame, if you have enough of a sense of humor. Anyone remember on Saturday night live, Dan Ackroyd had a character that reviewed "Bad Theater" and would say things like, "that was deliciously BAD." or, "so putrid I had to leave the theater and vomit." So maybe you can think of it like that and just have fun with it.

or not. :):)

Edited by mozartman
East of the jersy shore was lame, but you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

I can hardly wait, more please. And this time see if you can include a few ACTIVE lame caches. Amazing.

Thanks.

You didn't specify that you needed to see an [/u]active lame cache. :ph34r: I will try to reactivate it if you would really like to hunt this cache, my thinking is that you don't. <_< This early attempt to place a cache was a flop, but I learned from it, and disabled it for the very reason I stated. It stunk.

My posts are mostly to amuse the local cachers who have been following this forum. We don't get paid to play this game so I try to compensate myself and the locals in other ways.

I plan on putting out my new series filled with sarcastic wit and irony. Hopefully they will be the kind of caches most people like to find, some micros and a few small containers in offbeat places with clever hides. With what I learned from my "flop" cache and the other cachers, I think I can do it. Thankfully the local "caching leaders" never bullied me into being afraid to try again. Instead they did what cachers should do.

1. said kind things about me and my efforts and

2. set a fine example of what caches, finders and human beings should be.

I hope if you ever do make it over here that you hunt my caches, some you may find "lame", some you may think are really clever, but I hope you enjoy them all, 'cause that is my intention.

Having completed my first "serious" post I will now go tend to my cache maintenance.

East of the jersy shore was lame, but you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

I can hardly wait, more please. And this time see if you can include a few ACTIVE lame caches. Amazing.

Thanks.

You didn't specify that you needed to see an [/u]active lame cache. :ph34r: I will try to reactivate it if you would really like to hunt this cache, my thinking is that you don't. <_< This early attempt to place a cache was a flop, but I learned from it, and disabled it for the very reason I stated. It stunk.

My posts are mostly to amuse the local cachers who have been following this forum. We don't get paid to play this game so I try to compensate myself and the locals in other ways.

I plan on putting out my new series filled with sarcastic wit and irony. Hopefully they will be the kind of caches most people like to find, some micros and a few small containers in offbeat places with clever hides. With what I learned from my "flop" cache and the other cachers, I think I can do it. Thankfully the local "caching leaders" never bullied me into being afraid to try again. Instead they did what cachers should do.

1. said kind things about me and my efforts and

2. set a fine example of what caches, finders and human beings should be.

I hope if you ever do make it over here that you hunt my caches, some you may find "lame", some you may think are really clever, but I hope you enjoy them all, 'cause that is my intention.

Having completed my first "serious" post I will now go tend to my cache maintenance.

I should live so long as to experience one of your caches. Cache on dude!!

. . .

So, sure the point could be for you to simply to increment a find count.  That's the only point.

Sure, you can go out with friends, hunt these kind of caches, and have an absolute blast!  The camaraderie and good times make it worth it.  But does a cache have to be pointless or lame for this to happen?  No.  Do you even need to have a cache to go out and have fun?  No.  Does a cache have to be lame to be fun?  No.

So, now, tell me why a cache with no intrinsic entertainment value; no view or object to draw the hunter's attention to, no "hunt" along the way, no puzzle, no thought needed, no clever hide technique, no history, no story, no nothing--why should it be placed when someone knows better?

Hi CR!

Thanks for the question(s). GeoCaching has made me leave my house and visit areas I would not have visited if not for the cache. In case this gets misunderstood: GeoCaching has made me leave my house and visit areas I would not have visited if not for the cache.

Usually I enjoy the trips - with friends or without. The cache has a kind of magnetic power to me.

Just a (lame) example: In Germany we have the waterwork series. Many cachers in our area place caches at waterworks they come along during caching. These caches usually are 'lame' Drive by's and link the 'better' caches around. So today I made a tour of 20 of these caches - together with my daughter, the dogs and a friend. We had deep snow, sunshine, and fun fun fun.

Only because these 'lame' caches existed, I went out to this area (Rhön). And it was worth it. Even if you might be of a different opinion.

I enjoy lamp post caches as well. And even the guard rail micros. They are points on my tour when getting to know the city or the area.

So you asked me to tell . . .

. . . why a cache with no intrinsic entertainment value; no view or object to draw the hunter's attention to, no "hunt" along the way, no puzzle, no thought needed, no clever hide technique, no history, no story, no nothing--why should it be placed when someone knows better?

Very simple answer: Because I enjoy these caches. Because they are fun to me. Because these caches do make me leave my house and visit areas I would not have visited if not for the cache.

That is enough reason for me.

Happy trails.