A Breach Of Ettiquette?

saguaroastro

I recently placed my first cache (88 Pieces of Sky). It is a themed cache, based on the constellations (I am an active amatuer astronomer). So far the Cache has gotten some nice comments from the finders, which I appreciate. ;) Now before I go an ruin all that goodwill I'd like to bounce this idea off you all.

My astonomy club is holding a free public observing session in the same park the cache is in, in a few weeks. What I'd like to do, if it doesn't violate caching ettiquette, is to place an announcment of the event in the cache so those who find it may attend if they are interested. I though I'd make the announcment a bit "Geocahing friendly" by giving the location as a projection from the caches coordinates. I'd also like to post a note on the cache page as well.

Bear in mind I know that commercial caches are verbotten, but as I said this is a free event and all are invited.

Would something like this be frowned upon in the caching community? Frankly, I don't see the harm in it, but then again I'd rather get the advice of those in the game a while.

Curious Minds want to know.

Proper or not, I'm not sure that many people are going to read your cache page, unless they are about to search for your cache.

Is there a local geoforum that might server better for notification of the event?

Edit: Additional note.

The forum here in Eastern Iowa has a section that discusses these 'additional' hobbies. Watching the sky is very popular.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Technically it isn’t just commercial use that is prohibited. The rule also says, “Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas may not be listed.”

But all this type of restriction, including commercial use, seems to be honored more in the breach than in compliance. Given the way these restrictions are routinely ignored and violation even encouraged I’d say go for it.

If you want to be super conscientious you can ask the PTB at geocaching.com by emailing them at contact@Groundspeak.com.

But, if confronted with an official approval they may have to say no. In a case like this it’s easier to get forgiveness than permission. If anyone asks, just say Escapades, briansnat and I said it’s OK.

However, as BlueDeuce says you probably won’t attract much attention done the way you suggest.

Edited by Thot

We have a local astronomy club that does similar activities throughout the year. I think it sounds pretty cool.

I'd say, try posting it as an Event rather than on the cache page (for the reasons people have listed). The worst that could happen is the Approver would say no. Your local Approver may deny it on the grounds that it's not specifically Geocaching related, even if it's not for the purpose of soliciting, religion etc. It's kind of the same idea behind not having Event Caches associated with, say, a 10K run for charity, or meeting at a ballgame or something.

Sounds like a cool idea nonetheless.

I don't see anything wrong with it.  If I was in your area....I'd probably attend. 

Have you looked up the night in question to see when any iridium flares might be appearing?

Too early to look up Iridium Flares yet. I usually do the day before. Get the most accurate orbital elements that way.

Rick

I'd say, try posting it as an Event rather than on the cache page (for the reasons people have listed).

An event of this sort will most likely not be approved. From the guidelines:

Event caches are gatherings for geocachers by geocachers to discuss geocaching. After the event has passed, the event cache is archived. While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or an orienteering event might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the primary focus of these events is not geocaching and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

He's better off just quietly slipping a few flyers in the cache and leaving it at that.

What about sending a PM to each person who has visited his cache and saying something like "if you are interested in this cache, you might find this event fun to attend, and you would be welcome" As long as he isn't trying to get an event to log, I sure don't see how it would hurt. I wouldn't mind if a cache owner contacted me about such things.

What about sending a PM to each person who has visited his cache and saying something like "if you are interested in this cache, you might find this event fun to attend, and you would be welcome" As long as he isn't trying to get an event to log, I sure don't see how it would hurt. I wouldn't mind if a cache owner contacted me about such things.

Some people may consider that to be spam. Heck, some people were in a tizzy here last year because someone e-mailed them to remind them about a geocaching event. I can see the thread now. "Inappropriate Use of Groundspeak Mail". Let's not get this guy in trouble :rolleyes: .

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice.

Just to make it clear to one of the last posts, while we will have membership materials around, no one is solicited to join the club. If they ask about it, we're more than happy to have them, if not, we're happy they showed up to look at the sky with us.

I agree the cache page may not attract a whole lot of people, but that is not my intent. The City that runs the park provides plenty of advertizing for us. Just thought it would be a way to let finders know that if the cache interests them, they can learn more at our event.

That being said, since there were no really strong opinions against the idea, I think I'll go ahead and proceed.

Again, Thanks to everyone who responded, for the advice.

Rick

Team SaguaroAstro