Having To Explain Geocaching To The National Guard

The other day I was trying to track down some survey markers (benchmarks) on the right-of-way outside of the local National Guard Amory. I attracted the attention of a couple of guardsmen who came out to inquire as to what I was doing. They asked to see some identification and asked me was that a GPS in my hand and was I taking the coordinates of their building. I quickly gave them an explanation of geocaching. One of them seemed to understand and assured the other that it was o.k. I also told them I understood their concern and that they had nothing to fear from me.

Later when I had time to think about it, I wondered if real terrorist had weapons that could utilize GPS coordinates. I know that we have bombs that are guided to their targets using GPS coordinates, but I doubt if the terrorist do. I would imagine that if terrorist were going to bomb that building, they would just drive up to it with a car bomb. I also wondered if these guardsmen knew that the software that comes with these GPS units will give you the coordinates of their building without even leaving the house. I often think that a lot of the efforts we exert to protect ourselves from a terrorist threat are misguided.

Its unfortunate, but true, that terrorist are using GPSr's to coordinate attacks. A number have been found following the sweep of Falluja, with waypoints  for both 'friendly' (to them) areas and 'foe' (US Forces and Joint Operational) areas.

These were rebels in a civil war - not terrorists.

Terrorism refers to the use of violence against noncombatants for the purpose of achieving a political goal, on a scale smaller than full-scale warfare.
However I think this is too political to be discussed in this forum.

Thank you Teamguzbach.org for bowing out gracefully, because I was really starting to get my blood pressure up, but I will be good. I have had 2 friends killed by your so-called "rebels", and will myself be placed in harms way soon. Having been in the same position when someone was looking for benchmarks near my National Guard State Headquarters, we kindly told them to leave, but not before taking down all personal id info and car make and model...you never know nowadays.

with the amount of info out on the inter net useing a gps is a pretty bad way to find cords. I do gis for work and can locate high quailty airal photos of just about anywhere in the us. After that I can take them into arc map and create a map with much more detailed read servey grade cords. If i can do this with little training im shure motivated terorest can and probly already are. All the post are proveing is in some ways the terorest have already won by causeing teror where none is needed. lighten up people its a gps with 3 metter acuracy theres alot better ways of "targeting" areas with out ever exsposeing your self to the "enemy"

Well got to go to class to learn how to use the better info even better if any terorest is reading this no i dont need a job thanks

Pyro

I was once "detected" by a passing by police patrol when I was looking for a (destroyed) benchmark near a local airport... B):rolleyes: . Of course, they stopped to investigate. But as I explained my doing (in particular, showed the printout!), the officer was very kind and just left without any further interrogation. A very reasonable thing, I think, as terrorists won't act so openly suspiciously (is that English?)... :lol:B)

I agree that most (visible) so-called counter measures are mainly to satisfy the public. REAL terrorists won't be bothered in their evil-doing by them, as they can easily be avoided. I certainly hope that there are invisible measures that are more effective...

Edited by HoPri

Remember how geocaching was born. Before 2001? the military kept it off the mark for the masses. The satellites were put up in a joint effort with other countries. Oddly enough the US sub-contracts it s high-tech security out to a French conglomerant. Thales.

The next thing is the HAARP project. GPS satellite navigation is passe' compared to low frenquency radio waves. They now know how to shoot electricity to the middle of nowhere. Along with communications in real time, let alone pinpointing a cache on the map.

your right sax, this doesn't need to be discussed here.