Breakaway Cache

Snoogans

Maybe it's already been done. If it has I'd like to see some examples.

I have an idea for a few TAKE-only caches.

These caches wouldn't be in the sturdiest of containers and I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few weeks. I would intend that the main part of the cache be CITO'd when the last item is taken. That would leave a micro with only the log scroll remaining nearby. (within 10 feet or so) It is intended to be a permanent cache.

In this case it would be a seed/breeder cache. When the last micro is taken, only the log book micro, hidden nearby, would be left.

Thoughts?

I've heard of 'em, but don't have any specific examples. It might have a hard time getting by the approvers due the to lack of "cache permanance".

The final stage is a permanent log only micro. That angle IS covered.

Stage ONE: Take-only cache with log only micro at, or near, the same spot (within 10 feet)

Stage TWO: The larger part of the cache is CITO'd when empty leaving the micro cache. No problem with permanence that I see.

Approvers? Please chime in.......

Maybe it's already been done. If it has I'd like to see some examples.

I have an idea for a few TAKE-only caches.

These caches wouldn't be in the sturdiest of containers and I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few weeks. I would intend that the main part of the cache be CITO'd when the last item is taken. That would leave a micro with only the log scroll remaining nearby. (within 10 feet or so) It is intended to be a permanent cache.

In this case it would be a seed/breeder cache. When the last micro is taken, only the log book micro, hidden nearby, would be left.

Thoughts?

It would seem a little odd if the two stages started out as separate containers a short distance apart. But if you're saying that there's a single location (one set of coords, no offsets), which at first has a larger container that includes (among other things) the micro container with the log sheet, and then the outer container is to be removed when all the freebies are gone, leaving just the micro in the same spot -- I like this idea. It's sort of the like a big booster rocket on a spacecraft, which is intended to break away shortly after liftoff, leaving just the smaller permanent ship to continue on.

You could give it some sort of rocket-ship theme & name (if you don't already have a theme in mind already).

Why not just mount the permanent Micro & Log to the outside of the temporary breeder cache container. Then keep a close eye on it by keeping it maintained every few days until they are all gone.

List it as a Micro, but explain in the description that for a short period of time, until they are all taken, that it is a breeder.

Then when the breeder container is empty, undo the permanent Micro and leave it there and note it on your page that all the breeder micro's are already gone and that it is now just a single Micro?

:rolleyes::unsure::P

D-man :P

It would seem a little odd if the two stages started out as separate containers a short distance apart.

You'd think so, but I have given this some thought.

10 feet, or less, doesn't make much difference in this case. In this case, the first goal of the cache is as a seed pod full of micros that are ready to hide. If the log book is already in a micro, even if it is different from the rest, then someone might take it. If it was just full of normal swag, it might fare better INSIDE the cache.

If it is already hidden within a few feet, the hints will be more accurate for the final stage in the cache's lifespan. Heck, it could be under the larger cache for all I care.

I have also considered taping the log book micro to the lid. It might be less confusing, but then the location of the log only micro left over might just be wrong for any hints if the last finder does the hiding.

When the last micro is taken, the larger portion of the cache is trashed by that finder, or the owner.

The containers in question would be fine for a few weeks, or even a few months if hidden properly, but exposure direct sunlight and handling will quickly degrade their usefulness as a cache container over any longer period.

Most caches in my state will have a dozen, or more, finders in the first month or so. That's plenty of time for the seed pod to disperse its contents and get cito'd, leaving the log only micro behind as a permanent cache.

Sounds like what it is, a breeder cache. Am I missing something beyond the breeder part is limited to a specific number of iterations?

I prefer to call it a seed cache, since some will take root elsewhere and some will just be taken. You won't be required to hide one of the caches to claim a find as some breeder caches were set up.

It also doesn't have to be a seed cache. It could be a TAKE-only cache of swag too. No need to worry over trade degradation. When the last item is gone, so is the used container. All that's left is a log-only micro.

I've heard of 'em, but don't have any specific examples. It might have a hard time getting by the approvers due the to lack of "cache permanance".

The final stage is a permanent log only micro. That angle IS covered.

Stage ONE: Take-only cache with log only micro at, or near, the same spot (within 10 feet)

Stage TWO: The larger part of the cache is CITO'd when empty leaving the micro cache. No problem with permanence that I see.

Approvers? Please chime in.......

But how would you list it. It'd start out as a multi, then once the "seeds" were gone, it'd be a traditional......