Geocaching in the snow

Geodoggy

I found a cache in western NY last winter with about 2 feet of fresh snow on the ground. It was an easy find because of its hiding place. Some caches will be easy to find, while others will be nearly impossible with snow on the ground, so it all depends on the individual cache.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Many of the cache containers in Canada are attached to trees about 4 feet above ground level using bungee cords so you don't have to dig them out when the snow falls. They can also easily be raised higher if necessary.

The drawback (or advantage, depending on how you view it) is the obvious trail left by the previous finders until it snows again.

Worldtraveler

I have a number of caches in the WNY area and I plan to keep on caching and placing regardless of the season.

I will admit that it will be difficult to find good hiding spots on the ground, but that just means I need to get more creative.

I think overall the frequency of hides may go down, but the thought and care that will go up. You'll get higher quality, lower quantity, but in the end I think that's better anyway.

On a related note ... I emailed you about snowshoes!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Many of the cache containers in Canada are attached to trees about 4 feet above ground level using bungee cords so you don't have to dig them out when the snow falls.

And we also carry snowshoes or cross-country skiis year round!!!

Bungee cords 4 feet above ground........give me a break. I can just see pulling on one to get a cache loose. The headlines the next day would read, "Geocacher killed by Tupperware Projectile".

Oops! Better go and shovel the driveway before the morning. Olar

wavey.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

...Bungee cords 4 feet above ground........give me a break...

Not sure if you're making a joke or doubting what I said, but here's just one of several I've found. It even tells you in the description.

Still don't believe me? Go find it! Or this. Or this. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on October 18, 2002 at 06:36 AM.]

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on October 18, 2002 at 06:39 AM.]

us cachers here in San Diego might have to put on a sweater! icon_biggrin.gif Burrr!

Actually, we have mountains not far from us, such as Palomar (you know, where that big telescope is) that can get several feet, so you can surf and sled in the same day! icon_smile.gif

SteveL

Wherever you go, there you are.

Yea, I can imagine that the snow will make it easier to locate caches by the tracks being produced, but it isn't so different from the late summer in the overgrowth...People make just as noticable tracks in them and I even found a cache that way without using my GPS.

Hey, where people go, evidence will be left.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.