Maintain your caches for the holidays

Hemlock

Right now there are 821 disabled caches in California. That compares with 15,161 active caches. That means over 5% is disabled! I have almost 200 "needs archived" emails from just November and December.

In early January I will be doing a major sweep of all of these disabled and "needs archived" caches, and archiving the deserving ones.

By "deserving" I mean:

• missing for more than 2 months with no recent indication by the owner that it will be replaced.
  • placed in violation of any guidelines.

So do yourself and your fellow cachers a favor and maintain your caches during the holidays. :blink:

I've noticed the same thing in our area. We might be running higher than 5% around here :blink: .

Not trying to start any flames or anything, but what is considered an acceptable disable time limit? I have one that's a 5 star (requires a paddle boat), but the rental place only opens on weekends for a limited time during the winter months.

edit: never mind, answered my own question. :blink:

Edited by Touchstone
You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem.  This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache.

I generally use two months as a rule of thumb. I think its quite reasonable for any cache to be maintained, or at least a note posted to the page stating intentions, within two months.

Regarding seasonal caches such as Touchstone's, I think it's a good idea to post a note each time the cache is enabled or disabled stating whats going on, such as "the rental place is opening/closing for the season."

Don't worry, if there's any doubts that the cache is in fact missing, I'll ask first before shooting :blink:

I posted a few "should be archived" notes for some caches that were clearly gone and where there was no sign of the cache owner taking action. Tonight the cache owner deleted my "should be archived" logs, and posted a note indicated that the caches would be fixed soon. So I am wondering: does deleting a "should be archived" log take that cache off of the approvers radar screen?

Aha, a "secret" message from the geocaching gods. I found it!

Now, maybe I can get one of them to change my cache's name so that it doesn't say "disabled"? When did editing a cache name become a premium member feature?

http://www.geocaching.com/hide/report.aspx...84-d05f7d8979d4

Isn't posting the same message 4 times in a row considered a premium member feature? :D:D

So I am wondering: does deleting a "should be archived" log take that cache off of the approvers radar screen?

Even if they delete the archive log, the cache would still be disabled, and it looks like that is what Hemlock is sorting for.

If the cache owner reactivates the cache without replanting/fixing, then the DNF/Archive logs would start piling up again. They'd be chasing their tail if they approached it that way.

Sounds easier to fix the problem :D

So I am wondering: does deleting a "should be archived" log take that cache off of the approvers radar screen?

Nope. All those "needs archived" logs are emailed to me, just as if I was watching the cache. I was away for the last week, but as soon as I get caught up on some more important things, I'll be looking at them all.

I've asked a couple different times to have an archived cache un-archived by emailing the listed approver for the cache. They suggested I email Hemlock, and haven't seen any response. Is this normal? Any idea when I should expect a response?

My cache is "Fort Ord Treasure Trove", waypoint GCG311.

Any help is appreciated, I'd really like to get this cache active again.

Thanks,

JHP

Edited by jesus_hiding_place

There is a local cacher around here that has a disabled cache with no update since mid May. I emailed him just to ask if he had plans for the cache and if not would he mind archiving it. I decided to email rather than just post a needs archiving for the cache since I knew he was so active. Got what I consider a somewhat snotty reply back. :anitongue: As of Saturday 5 of my front page caches were inactive. Did I go about this the wrong way? I know I only have ~30 finds, but I don't think it was too much to ask that a cacher either post an update every so often or archive the cache?

Edit for spelling

Edited by ufskenney