Owners Log Cache As Find

In short. No.

How can you find a cache if you were the one that placed it? Owners visiting their own caches should log their visits as notes.

Theres a local cacher who has at least 2 sock puppet accounts. On at least one occasion, he has placed a cache using the sock puppet and logged a find using his real account.

People who do stuff like that are all about boosting their find count any way they can :lol: .

Say someone went out and logged finds on a cache . Then somewhere down the line said cache was going to be archived or disabled due to various situations that can arise.

Then a cacher that had hunted the cache before and steps in and adopts the cache.

Should his/her find log be deleted ?

This is probably the only case that I can think of that such a practice could possibly be acceptable .

Star

Recently I noticed an owner logged thier cache as a find - I assumed it was by mistake. Is it considered OK to log your own cache as a find when you re-visit it? MS

If you compare numbers with other people this is most likely an issue.

If you do not care about numbers and do it for fun, who cares. We have seen people log finds when the cache is known missing. We have seen people replace someone elses container then claim a find. we have seen people log finds on there own cache. We have seen people who will log a find, the cache gets moved 2 feet because of one reason or another so the person comes back and logs a second find.

We have seen people log multiple finds on an event cache because they 'found' all the temp items hidden for an event and wanted a smiley for everything they did that day.

Only the cache owner has the power to decide if the find is acceptable and most cache 0wners are to nice to delete the multiple finds....

We try to not let it affect us and I have once or twice even email the cache owner when I saw they logged a find on there own cache. Both teams had less then 10 finds, so I knew they were still learning.

The only people we 'compete' on numbers with are ourselves and close friends.. Even then we do not get real serious about it, we use it to tease and torment more then prove value.

Your milage may vary, but we like this road.

If I see someone in my area log a find on their own cache I send them a friendly email letting them know that it's not a common practice and is frowned upon by some. If they are aware of that then fine, I don't really care how others play the game.

On another note.

I've placed a cache with someone in the past and both of our names were/are on the cache but it's under my friends account. The only reason I logged it as a find was because I didn't want it showing up on my cache pages forever. Granted the caches I hide show up on my cache pages but they show up with the word "Mine" next to it so it's a little different than one that even though it has my name on it, it doesn't show up as "Mine" since it's not under my account.

Did that make any sense?

Say someone went out and logged finds on a cache . Then somewhere down the line said cache was going to be archived or disabled due to various situations that can arise.

Then a cacher that had hunted the cache before and steps in and adopts the cache.

This is probably the only case that I can think of that such a practice could possibly be acceptable .

Star

Nope...it should not be deleted, IMO. When the person went out originally, they did not know exactly where it was, and they DID have to hunt to find it. Taking ownership of the log NOW, does not change, what happened in the past.

There is one cache with my name on it that I logged as a find, because it was placed by my friend and I had to find it. He added my name, and has since moved away so I take care of it. In the beginning I did it, until I figured out the game, and I changed them to notes. Hey, in the beginning I thought the object was to move McToys from place to place. I was taking trade items from one cache and placing them in another! :o

I've placed a cache with someone in the past and both of our names were/are on the cache but it's under my friends account. The only reason I logged it as a find was because I didn't want it showing up on my cache pages forever. Granted the caches I hide show up on my cache pages but they show up with the word "Mine" next to it so it's a little different than one that even though it has my name on it, it doesn't show up as "Mine" since it's not under my account.

umc, I'm not picking on you, but you just stepped out in front of a Streetcar Named Example.

Many cachers have come up with certain "rules" that they cache by. Usually these rules aren't listed in the guidelines of the site....

..Don't log your own caches. You can't find what you have hidden

..If you don't sign the log it's not a find.

..If you start your search and don't finish, it's a DNF, regardless of why you stopped.

Most will continue with these rules until something comes up that puts it into question, in their own mind.

The best way to tackle this career is to just follow the site guidelines and have fun. If it fits within the guidelines, don't worry if someone else may :o on it.

On a side note.... your own caches are listed as yellow and your found caches are gray on the search list, so when you log your own cache, it shows as yellow and gray stripes ... freaky

Star

Ironically this very situation has happened to me.

I found GCA64A http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ee-169743cec1fe back when I first started. I then adopted it as it was an important part of caching History in Dallas not to mention a very cool cache.

Recent developments around and near the cache have necessitated changes to the cache. After reworking the cache, I POSTED A FIND, just to bring it back to the top of peoples filtered searches. Some people search for caches found within the last XX number of days.

I did state in my post that I would change it to a note after a find or two.

Roland_oso

Recent developments around and near the cache have necessitated changes to the cache. After reworking the cache, I POSTED A FIND, just to bring it back to the top of peoples filtered searches. Some people search for caches found within the last XX number of days.

Hmmm, I was just thinking the same thing. For me this would be fine as long as your log is converted to a note as soon as someone else finds the cache. But then I may be more tolerant than many... :o

I had a recent situation where I thought it would be reasonable to log a "find" on one of my own caches. What had happened was that a well-meaning cacher had found the cache sitting out in the open near its original hiding spot and decided that she should move the cache to someplace more protected. She sent me the coordinates, and some moderate explanation of where to find it. The fact is, I still had to search for the cache like anyone else might do. Since I had to do the drunken GPS dance to find the cache, I chose to log the cache as a find.