Secret Geocacher’s Code

sept1c_tank

My pseudonym (septic tank) is cockney rhyming slang, a complicated code, of sorts. Since most geocachers seem somewhat complex and stealthy, and ever concerned about muggles, I offer a proposal: incorporate the technique of cockney rhyming slang into our already quirky vocabularies.

Cockney rhyming slang at its simplest uses a conjunction of words, whose last is used to suggest a rhyme, which is its definition. For example one of the most famous and one that is very rarely used in all seriousness is apples and pears, meaning stairs.

Usually the rhyming slang is abbreviated to just the first word, so the above example would become apples. This in effect makes a sentence in which it is employed much harder to understand and when a phrase incorporates two or more elements of rhyming slang the meaning becomes so obscure that to the uninitiated confusion is the result. There lies its original purpose, as a form of coded speech.

Rhyming slang is evolving at an amazing rate around the world, especially in the UK and Australia. Geocachers should adopt and adapt. Let’s keep those muggles in the dark!

Here’s some of my thoughts on rhyming slang for geo-terms:

Archive = kamikaze nosedive

Cache = bucket of ash

Latitude = mental attitude

Longitude = line of longitude

Muggle = big warm snuggle

Spoiler = Huston Oiler

For example (you may need to refer to the vocab lists in the above linked website): "That septic on the apples thinks we should kamikaze this bucket before a big warm comes. You don’t need mental-line with that Huston, china. The oriental is sure to come up missing. No porkies!

I know this all sounds terribly complicated, but isn’t that the idea of a code?

Post your geocaching rhyming slang here. :cool:B)

Lik in Oceans Eleven when that guy says "were in real Barney... Barney Rubble? Trouble!!!" So that's cockney rhyming slang? Cool.

Should I even ask? What does "septic tank" mean in cockney rhyme code?

I wondered the same thing.

I call Barnes and Nobel "Barney Rubbles." Don't know why...

Puzzle=dog muzzle

Forums=bread crumbs (this one is kind of imperfect though)

Edited by carleenp
Lik in Oceans Eleven when that guy says "were in real Barney... Barney Rubble? Trouble!!!" So that's cockney rhyming slang? Cool.

Should I even ask? What does "septic tank" mean in cockney rhyme code?

I wondered the same thing.

I call Barnes and Nobel "Barney Rubbles." Don't know why...

Puzzle=dog muzzle

Forums=bread crumbs (this one is kind of imperfect though)

That's the idea: "I'm going to take that dog bucket to the bread!" B) (rhymes with thread, too)

septic tank=yank=American (that's one of the oldest rhymes in cockney slang). :cool:B)

Septic Tank = Yank.

I believe it originated in Australia during world war II. However, Australians also love to shorten words (like we call ourselves aussies) . So, Septic tank is really too long, so it gets contracted to "seppo".

Other Aussie Contractions:

Arvo = Afternoon

Footy = Football (true football - either Rugby league / union or Australian Rules)

Barbie = Barbeque

Polly = Politician

Tinnie / Coldie = Cold Can of Beer.

She aproached the bucket and I noticed her Bristols :)

Actually, as she approached the cache, it was her Britneys that were most noticable to me:

Britney Spears=ears

"What's wrong wiv yer Britney's luv?"

Let's try to keep this family oriented, please. :)

;)

No prob, Sept1c.! Off for a Tom!! :o

China, I just did a jet fighter and would you Adam and Eve it, there was no Captain Cook in three of the buckets? One Scooby was bogus and me mince pies were useless in the Jurassic park. So I had a butcher anyway, and eventually copped an Oxford scholar. This duck had so many ham and eggs, I dogged the owner. His biscuit and cookie techniques led to nothing but chipmunks and Jack and Jills. Finally, I jumped in the jam jar and left.

If he were only a roller coaster, I’d set him straight. French egg. If chitty chitty bang bang isn’t for you, use Listerine.

All nighter=jet fighter

Believe=Adam and Eve

Log book=Captain Cook

Clue=Scooby doo

Eyes=mince pies

Dark=Jurassic park

Look=butcher’s hook

Where’s george dollar=Oxford scholar

Hide=duck and dive

Multi legs=ham and eggs

Phone=dog and bone

Newbie=rookie=biscuit and cookie