Christmas Gift Ideas

murfster

With the holiday season starting, I wondered who had any suggestions for gifts for geocaching folk. Any unique things you made or bought? Lets share your ideas.

Last year I made up small " ready to go" cache boxes.

My best gift was a rubber stamp to use in log books from my daughter.

Murfster

Good topic. And not for the reason you might think LOL.

Me.... I would love the cable for my Garmin 60C that allows me to hook it to my car lighter.

Lugnuts built me the serial cable (GSAK didn't support USB at the time) but he was not 100% sure on the power hook up and I was happy with the cable.

I think another thing would be something Logger convinced me to get... the Energizer rechargable battery unit.... holds 4 AA batteries that are NiMH and work great for the GPS (not so much so for my camera)

A good compass and a Swiss Army knife.....

Logger has this special plastic bottle (Syrene or something like that) which does not hold the taste of the previous liquid, they are like $10 I think.

Headlamp and/or LED flashlight for those that are going into night caching..

And Lugnuts takes a backpack with him when caching.... an idea I plan on following, so I guess I would add a backback to the list. I love my fanny pack but I need more room.

So I guess I should say....

Car adapter cable

Rechargable battery unit with 4 AA's

Compass (Silva Ranger is quite nice IMHO)

Swiss Army knife

Syrene Bottle

Headlamp

LED flashlight

Backpack

Fanny pack

:lol: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar
I was out looking for a headlight and there are so many.. $9 to $90

Any suggestions form happy users?

For under $20 the Garrity 2 LED 5 function headlamp is pretty good or for around $40 the Petzl Tikka Plus (I have one coming from MEC). Haven't tested either for nite caching but the Garrity came in very handy at the weekend when helping out at a local outdoor event when the lights went out and we were hunting around in the dark for the fuse box. I got to be the FTF. :rolleyes:

For other Christmas ideas don't forget the hiking stick. Have found a couple of caches buried under leaves or snow by poking around with the stick until you hear the satisfying sound of metal tip on tupperware.

And for stocking stuffers pens that write in wet log books. Pilot G-2's work well as do Uni-Ball Powertanks or you can go up market and get a Fisher space pen (I lose too many to make the latter a good option)

And I do like my 180's Exhale Gloves with a vent so you can blow on your hands to keep them warm without taking your gloves off or putting down your GPSr (and they make good ear warmers too)

After a long time at a certain cache, a small mirror, believe it or not.

I have a small piece of Mirror wraped on the sides with duct tape for peeking in holes... before sticking my hand in... saves laying on the wet ground as well.

Once I used my digital camera for the same thing. :rolleyes:

Murfster

Edited by murfster
Good list BQ. 

Hopefully our family and friends will see this.. especially if you print out the comments and leave them out to be easily seen.  :rolleyes:

Murfster

I have a petzl zoom, its rather good for distance and general area lighting, batteries where a bit of an issue with the old 4.5v battery but i believe the new ones run on 3 or 4 AA. cost was about $40

my newest headlamp (thanks to B&B for poiting this little guy out) is a Rayovak LED and incandesent head lamp. it has two red leds as to not interfer with night vision when more light is needed, one white led for close up/ general use and the incandesent for more throw. one down fall i found is that you cand focus the incadesent light, but hey for $20 i'm no complaining its a good little light. it runs on three AAA I got mine at Walm*rt. but they can be found else where for the same price.

Also you can get a cool little mod for a AA maglite that turns it into a LED light which is really nice.

EDIT: i just found out you can adjust the incandesent light on the Rayovac. which makes it even nicer.

EDIT OF THE EDIT: with more testing the adjustablity of the incandesent light is useless.

Edited by Rogue_monkey

I've already got most of the items on this list, but for those who don't:

Rechargable NiMH batteries and charger.

saves a fortune in AA batteries if you're out caching a lot.

LED headlight, or at least flashlight.

I've got the Petzl Zipka. It lights up just enough to find my way along the trail in the dark, and the batteries last just about forever.

Geocaching membership.

While it's not required, or even essential, it's nice to support this web site since it does so much to make Geocaching easier and more fun.

GMRS or at least FRS radios

If you ever go caching with a group, you'll soon realize how useful the direct communications are.

PDA with geocaching software.

I've just started playing with mine, and having the entire cache page, including logs, available while out at the cache site is extremely useful. Being able to have ALL the cache pages in an area, and in a compact form at that, is incredible.

Hey for those looking for a mirror, try this. Go to a computer repair shop and ask them for a scrapped/broken harddrive. Take the hard drive apart and grab out of it the perment magnet(s) (very strong field) and the hard drive disk(s) which are a highly polished metal. Some hard drives have three of these in them and they come with a siteing hole in them so they can be used for rescue/signal if the need arises. If you can get your hands on a laptops drive they are even smaller. Being metal they won't break and give you a nasty surprise when blindly reaching into your pack.

Ultimate GPS Case These things are great. I saw them at the new Pro Bass store which is in the new Vaughan Mills Mall off the 400 south of Wonder Land. They were priced at $17 and change.

If you decide to visit this store take your GPSr with you and mark your parked vehicle. :laughing: Allow yourself an hour for browsing as this store has everything and wear walking shoes. Acres and acres of floor space and that's no lie.

Cheers, Olar

Compiling a list for easy printing and leaving laying around for the family to 'find'

The Christmas Cacher Gift List

High Tech Gifts – Electronic, or Battery Operated

 Rechargeable batteries and charger (NiMH AA)

 Car Adapter for GPS

 FRS Radios

 LED Flashlight or Headlamp

 Pedometer

Hiking Gear – Non-clothing

 Hiking Stick or Pole

 Syrene Bottle

 Compass

 Swiss Army Knife

Hiking Gear – Clothing

 Bug Jacket

 180’s Exhale Gloves (www.180s.com/home/index)

 Ultimate GPS Case (www.freshtracksmaps.com/ultimategpscase.htm)

 Back Pack

 Fanny Pack

Geocaching Tools

 Geocaching.com membership

 Rubber Stamp

 Mirror (or Hard Drive Disk)

 Pens (that can write on wet paper)

:blink: The Blue Quasar

Logger has this special plastic bottle (Syrene or something like that) which does not hold the taste of the previous liquid, they are like $10 I think.

Good Idea BQ!

I believe you are referring to the infamous "Nalgene" bottle. I have had mine for almost a year now, and it has been been by far the coolest gift I have recieved in a long time. Great for any Geocacher.

For under $20 the Garrity 2 LED 5 function headlamp is pretty good or for around $40 the Petzl Tikka Plus (I have one coming from MEC). Haven't tested either for nite caching but the Garrity came in very handy at the weekend when helping out at a local outdoor event when the lights went out and we were hunting around in the dark for the fuse box. I got to be the FTF. :blink:

For other Christmas ideas don't forget the hiking stick. Have found a couple of caches buried under leaves or snow by poking around with the stick until you hear the satisfying sound of metal tip on tupperware.

And for stocking stuffers pens that write in wet log books. Pilot G-2's work well as do Uni-Ball Powertanks or you can go up market and get a Fisher space pen (I lose too many to make the latter a good option)

And I do like my 180's Exhale Gloves with a vent so you can blow on your hands to keep them warm without taking your gloves off or putting down your GPSr (and they make good ear warmers too)

where did you get your 180 gloves, those convertable running gloves look kinda cool.

where did you get your 180 gloves, those convertable running gloves look kinda cool.

I got mine at a local specialty nautical gear store (Sharkskin). I believe Eddie Bauer, LL Bean and Amazon carry them though I don't think they have the whole range yet. Looking at the website it looks like Canada is "coming soon" although I believe they'll ship to Canada if you order on line.

For a GPS case I took my GPS to a large camera store and tried on all the digital camera cases. Found a Lowepro that has worked well for me. Lots of easy access pockets for pens etc.

Ok I have made mention to the Mrs. about a hydration pack from Santa and she was asking where to get. I mentioned Costco, any other suggestions for around the GTA area of another place to purchase?

Hiker's Haven (Europe Bound) in Oakville sells the Camelbak and I believe one other make.

Olar

Ok I have made mention to the Mrs. about a hydration pack from Santa and she was asking where to get. I mentioned Costco, any other suggestions for around the GTA area of another place to purchase?

MEC has a good selection of hydration packs, bladders and accessories.

Got me one of those sportman's coats...

You know, the one that a theif or a magician could use, the things has like 50 pockets in it.

Oh come on, the green coat that hunters wear.

Trimbles Trek wears one all the time, so does Coupar Angus.

Now just to talk my wife into sewing all my patches onto it.

It's awesome, always wanted one. The back zips off and rolls up into a waist thing at the back. Then it's a mesh thing.

It might only be 500 meters at the most, but dadgum I'm gonna look good.

Have a great feast all!

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

What did I get for Christmas? (pertaining to Geocaching)

Here goes;

Geocaching flashlight with compass

small flashlight

note book

official geocaching log book

cache container

geocaching survival pouch

official geocaching T-Shirt

2 mirrors

12 pencils with Canada Logo

Canada key chains

goecaching key chain with compass

4 new travel bugs

Sure had fun opening all the little packages. Thanks to an understanding Geocaching wife. And look out Florida, here I come...well, in a month, anyway.