Heaviest Bug?

Cowsmith

Although certainly lighter than a cinder block or a car, The Mask of Geocaching Mysteries is the heaviest bug we've ever found that will actually fit inside a regular-sized cache. We didn't weigh it, but it's pretty hefty -- a thick solid brass. A few pounds, I'd guess. It's the kind of thing that you could easily see being used as the murder weapon in a tv cop show.

(Here's a picture of it with a 30-cal ammo can, to show relative sizes:

1d322d4d-fed2-40e7-bd80-771b6082106d.jpg

Chain Chomp is almost up in my neck of the woods. I'd go out of my way to grab him. One thing I have to say that I am relieved to see is that most people seem to think these heavy bugs are cool. I was worried that the idea might get greeted with a lot of "Why would you want to do that?" sort of attitude. Now I just have to figure out how exactly how I want to attach the Travel Bug tag. I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the replies.

Chain Chomp is almost up in my neck of the woods. I'd go out of my way to grab him. One thing I have to say that I am relieved to see is that most people seem to think these heavy bugs are cool. I was worried that the idea might get greeted with a lot of "Why would you want to do that?" sort of attitude. Now I just have to figure out how exactly how I want to attach the Travel Bug tag. I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the replies.

Dude! Chain chomp is awesome! :rolleyes:

I've decided to turn a decomissioned public pay phone into a travel bug. It weighed about 40 pounds or so until I took it apart (completely) and stripped out all the insides. It weighs considerably less now that its insides have been replaced with styrofoam but it's still kinda bulky.

I don't care if it actually travels far or whatever just as long as people enjoy it.

PhoneTB.jpg

would a lead brick be considered dangerous? :blink:

I don't think so, at least from my end. But there is a possibility that lead could be somewhat poisonous. Why not something really heavy like a boulder or a piece of a poured concrete sidewalk? Or heck, go all out and take a section of highway!

*** Just ideas! Don't actually attempt the sidewalk or highway bugs! ***

I've decided to turn a decomissioned public pay phone into a travel bug. It weighed about 40 pounds or so until I took it apart (completely) and stripped out all the insides. It weighs considerably less now that its insides have been replaced with styrofoam but it's still kinda bulky.

I don't care if it actually travels far or whatever just as long as people enjoy it.

PhoneTB.jpg

That'd make a great urban "regular" cache :blink: Why hide a micro when you can "hide" a hollowed out payphone right in plain sight?

would a lead brick be considered dangerous? :lol:

I don't think so, at least from my end. But there is a possibility that lead could be somewhat poisonous. Why not something really heavy like a boulder or a piece of a poured concrete sidewalk? Or heck, go all out and take a section of highway!

*** Just ideas! Don't actually attempt the sidewalk or highway bugs! ***

density...

could use a sidewalk, but thats just big. a brick could still be several pounds and fit in an ammo can. gold would work too, but someone would keep it.

How cheap can I get a nice softball sized moon rock? B)

density...

could use a sidewalk, but thats just big. a brick could still be several pounds and fit in an ammo can. gold would work too, but someone would keep it.

How cheap can I get a nice softball sized moon rock? :D

Gold? If you make a golden travel bug, please place it in my cache. :blink:

I don't know about using a moon rock for a TB, I think that this would get taken since it in itself has great value since it is from the moon. Why not take an ordinary rock and paint it anc call it a moon rock?

density...

How cheap can I get a nice softball sized moon rock? :D

Gold? If you make a golden travel bug, please place it in my cache. :lol:

I don't know about using a moon rock for a TB, I think that this would get taken since it in itself has great value since it is from the moon. Why not take an ordinary rock and paint it anc call it a moon rock?

Well, that gives me an idea! I found this rock a year ago in Half Moon Bay and brought it home. i naturally called it the "Moon Rock". It even has holes to run a chain through...weighs about 18 lbs

25811715.jpg

I have to thank all of you. I have not laughed this hard in a while. Awesome TBs! The Phone and the Toilet need to be caches instead of TBs. I am just picturing a the john sitting out in the middle of the woods, you lift the seat and there it is; "log" your entry!

The rest are priceless. I might just have to drive up to VT and grab that frog/patio block thang, bring it down here to MA so it can get heft around a bit. I think that I am up to the challenge!

Roar :laughing: