Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

davester

Just posted this over at the GAGB forum having just received permission from the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust for the placing of caches on some of their reserves.

I think it would be nice to get a cache established as soon as possible to strike while the iron is hot and therefore if anyone knows these reserves well and can think of a suitable site, please contact the Trust with the details below. Obviously I'd like to get a cache down myself, but am away on holiday and then business for 2-3 weeks.

Let's use the permission, people!

Staffordshire Wildlife Trust

I contacted the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust about permission on one of their sites and after consideration they have decided to trial geocaching on certain sites for a 12 month period.

Their website may be found at http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/

The reserves identified as being suitable as as follows:-

Brown End Quarry

Thorswood

Weags Barn

Bateswood

If you would like to place a cache at these locations you should contact the Reserves Manager, Helen Gee via email (hgee@staffswt.cix.co.uk) or telephone (01889 880112). Please do not place a cache without first doing this!

As a gesture, I think it would be appropriate to make a clear link to the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust Website on the cache description page and make Cache In-Trash Out facilities available in any caches placed on these reserve.

Edited by davester

Well done!

As an occasional visitor to England from Scotland, I've been hugely impressed by the diligence of English (and Welsh!) cache placers in obtaining landowners permission.

In Scotland, the culture amongst some cache placers seems to be aggressively anti-landowner and very few caches seem to have the consent of the people who actually own them under Scots Law.

I notice that when landowner consent is obtained, there are manifold benefits not only to the particular cache concerned, but also to geocaching in general.

Cheers, The Forester

Well done!

As an occasional visitor to England from Scotland, I've been hugely impressed by the diligence of English (and Welsh!) cache placers in obtaining landowners permission.

In Scotland, the culture amongst some cache placers seems to be aggressively anti-landowner and very few caches seem to have the consent of the people who actually own them under Scots Law.

I notice that when landowner consent is obtained, there are manifold benefits not only to the particular cache concerned, but also to geocaching in general.

Cheers, The Forester

Hmmmmm. Sometimes it doesn't work so well. I got shouted at and then had a good ticking off by a Ranger in Macclesfield Forest yesterday while retrieving a cache.

I got shouted at and then had a good ticking off by a Ranger

Was this a cache which had landowners' permission?

Here in Scotland there are some places, such as Royal Parks and Botanical Gardens, where geocaches really ought to have permission before being placed.

The park rangers can be quite unreasonable if they are not reasoned with first.

Cheers, The Forester

(not a park ranger!)

Edited by The Forester
I got shouted at and then had a good ticking off by a Ranger

Was this a cache which had landowners' permission?

To be honest, I didn't think it wise to mention the existence of the cache to him, as it would probably have resulted in it's swift disposal. I simply walked back to the car and then stopped on the way past (after he'd gone) to rehide it.

:lol:

Hmmmmm. Sometimes it doesn't work so well. I got shouted at and then had a good ticking off by a Ranger in Macclesfield Forest yesterday while retrieving a cache.

To be honest, I didn't think it wise to mention the existence of the cache to him, as it would probably have resulted in it's swift disposal

Caches have permission sought for them ,don't they ?

So if a cacher is approached by a park ranger or landowner it's O.K. to tell them what one is doing on their patch if asked ,isn't it ?

To be honest, I didn't think it wise to mention the existence of the cache to him, as it would probably have resulted in it's swift disposal

Caches have permission sought for them ,don't they ?

So if a cacher is approached by a park ranger or landowner it's O.K. to tell them what one is doing on their patch if asked ,isn't it ?

One would assume that a park ranger shouting at ranting at someone to "Get back on the bloody path" would mean they are blissfully unaware of the cache.

:lol:

However, I don't discount the fact that the cache placer may well have sought permission from another ranger and this one was unaware of that.

In hind sight, the correct course of action would have been to apologise and mention what I was doing to see where it lead.

But.....back to the topic.....

Good news we've got a bit more recognisation from Staffordshire (my home county)... as far as I'm aware there are no caches on those sites yet.

MarcB

Like I said above, you'll welcome to take the iniative, as I won't even get to go and have a look round those reserves until the middle of December at the earliest.

:huh:

Well done!

More organisations, landowners and councils who support GCing will improve the chances of new permissions being granted. With Derby City Council I have just changed tack with them.

So far every request I have sent them has been replied with a 'this will be discussed and we will come back to you'. So yesterday I sent a message which basically said that I have identified a place to put a cache and, in lieu of official guidelines being agreed by the council, could I obtain temporary permission.

Within 4 hours I got a reply (the fastest response so far). They are going to check the grid reference I have quoted and come back to me within 24 hours!

Simon

P.S. The next step was to say here is where the cache is going to be - unless I don't here to the contrary it will be placed in 14 days! Don't forget that councillors are our employees!

theres a good map of sites at http://www.staffordshirewildlife.org.uk/re...p?ses=&pl=false and I love the names especially parrots drumble! Just asking for a themed cache that one.

There's already a cache at black brook - it was my 100th find.

Black Brook Black Hole, which I assume is the cache you're refering to, is actually just over 2 miles away from the Black Brook reserve, which is marked on maps as Gib Torr Rocks. It's a popular venue for boulder climbing and I thought it would be an incredible place for a cache or two, so that was actually the reserve I contacted the trust about initially.

The reserves they want to test caching on are those that they actively promote visits to, hence the four suggested.

Alchemy Quest - Chlorine is very close to Loynton Moss (but not on it).

I assume we're only allowed to put caches on the sites mentioned in the first post?

MarcB

At present, I believe that to be the case. I'm not sure if this list in exclusive of others and the best person who could help you will be Helen Gee. I'm certain that once they have real experience of geocaching they will be more open to allowing all the sites to be considered.

I think it would be nice to get a cache established as soon as possible to strike while the iron is hot and therefore if anyone knows these reserves well and can think of a suitable site, please contact the Trust with the details below. Obviously I'd like to get a cache down myself, but am away on holiday and then business for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for the hard work and unselfish approach to these sites :P I have been in touch with Helen Gee and she is sending me some info on Bateswood. The timing for this couldn't have been better as I have just been refused permission elsewhere.

P.S. The next step was to say here is where the cache is going to be - unless I don't here to the contrary it will be placed in 14 days! Don't forget that councillors are our employees!

We used that tack for one of our caches.

As geocachers we now have

Forestry Commision

Wildlife trusts

County Councils

National Trust

Permisions at various places.

As I see it we need

National Waterways and some others to attain a "critical mass" (hate that term) to make the refusers in the minority.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the hard work and unselfish approach to these sites :D I have been in touch with Helen Gee and she is sending me some info on Bateswood. The timing for this couldn't have been better as I have just been refused permission elsewhere.

OH NO :D:P:D

Thanks for the hard work and unselfish approach to these sites :blink: I have been in touch with Helen Gee and she is sending me some info on Bateswood. The timing for this couldn't have been better as I have just been refused permission elsewhere.

OH NO :blink::blink::blink:

OH YES !! :huh:

Edited to add - We don;t want you loosing interest do we !

Edited by aRRKS

Thanks for the hard work and unselfish approach to these sites ;) I have been in touch with Helen Gee and she is sending me some info on Bateswood. The timing for this couldn't have been better as I have just been refused permission elsewhere.

Any news on this location? I'm going off to survey some of the others this weekend hopefully with the intention of finding a site or two.

Any news on this location? I'm going off to survey some of the others this weekend hopefully with the intention of finding a site or two.

Yes, went for a walk around this tuesday and found various places for a nice multi. However Helen Gee has broken her leg and cannot get out onto the site until January. I have taken some photo's and was going to email her but I havn't had the time yet - thanks this will remind me to do it tonight.

Sue